Why I don't listen to WFNZ/WFNA

To say it's not a commuter school is hogwash, though, as less than 15% of the student body lives on campus.

The thing is, this figure doesn’t necessarily tell the whole story. I forget what the number is but isn’t it something like 20-30% of our students live on campus or something? That might lead people to believe we were a commuter school too.

What needs to be accounted for is the number of students living in the area. I live on the border with Harrisburg but I do not consider myself a commuter. Perhaps a large percentage of students live close to USF. If that is the case, then USF could very well not be a commuter school. If that is the case, then the caller was correct on both facts.

Comments like “commuter school” don’t really mean anything, to be honest when you are talking about a large school. I will have to admit that I haven’t done any research on this subject lately, but the last time I did, the number of students living on campus at UNCC was comparable to UNC-CH and NC State.

Of course, if it’s not “communter school”, then it’s “suitcase college”, so you just have to pretty much ignore that kind of stuff.

Commuter school and suitcase college are, to me, more about the activity on campus at night and on weekends. That certainly would be helped at Charlotte by the addition of football, because fall weekends would include a big event at least five times a year.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;223692]Commuter school and suitcase college are, to me, more about the activity on campus at night and on weekends. That certainly would be helped at Charlotte by the addition of football, because fall weekends would include a big event at least five times a year.[/QUOTE]
Well said Mike!!! Regards, Oldniner

I lived off campus but walked to class. I guess I was a commuter.

Run, thanks for posting that…I was about to post the same thing…The idea that Charlotte is SUCH a commuter school as compared to other colleges is so untrue. The numbers reflect it. We are within 1-2 % points of UNCCH and NCSU (as well as others I’d guess) in terms of students living on campus. All three schools are in the low 30% range for students living on-campus…As mentioned above, suitcase school maybe, but commuter school, simply not true!

:hammer:

clt did as well and yes we counted in the commuter figures.