Why is our nonconference schedule so weak???

Why do we play nothing but cupcakes. I mean come on we should at least go on the road and play some people. Ok we played Alabama and thats it??? Indiana, Yale, Cen Conn st., UNCA, Long Beach State, Rutgers, Valpo, Davidson, Georgia State. I mean give me a break. We could at least go on the road and play someone that is ranked, or at least a decent Big East school such as we did with Syracuse last year. Whoever came up with this years schedule should be fired on the spot!!!

Pardon me sir…but the schedules are made YEARS in advance.

I can promise you that when this schedule was made, we had no idea that Indiana and Valpo would be so bad. We also had Arizona back out on us.

I’m sure 2-3yrs ago we looked at our OOC schedule as @Indiana, @Vapo, vs Alabama and vs Arizona and thought it would be pretty strong…and it SHOULD have.

We are just the victims of bad timing and a pull out this year. Think about it, we have NEVER had this poor of a OOC schedule. Do you think it was done on purpose?! Bad luck and timing…that’s all.

Nevermind.

Anywho, do you honestly think that if we had our pick of games we’d pick Yale? Don’t you think we’d LOVE to get an invite to coaches vs cancer or pre-season NIT? Do you honestly believe we don’t try to schedule quality competition? Besides, I don’t think anyone could have predicted that Indiana would be this bad this year. They were in the Final Four only a few years ago.

Lutz tries to schedule quality programs all the time. However most of the top tier schools won’t come here and play a home and home and it would be dumb for us to just give them a home game with nothing in return. No, this season’s schedule isn’t the greatest, but we lost the series with AZ when Olson decided he didn’t want to come here and we’ve tried to scchedule home and homes with countless others. They simply won’t play us.

The impending move to the A-10 also cost us a rematch with George Washington this season (though it didn’t stop Saint Louis from playing Dayton, so go figure!).

So, instead of marquee games against the likes of Alabama, Arizona, George Washington, and Indiana, we get only a very good Bama team and an awful Indiana one. Santa Clara looked like they might be a surprise team, but they’ve turned out to be a one-trick pony…

I think Indiana will finish near .500. If they can beat Wisconsin at home, which certainly is possible, their season can be salvaged. They could be our lone RPI < 100 Non conference win still.

Can someone please explain why it is so bad to play one road game versus an elite opponent with nothing in return? I’m not saying that we should do it three times a year, but why not line up the likes of Arizona, Kentucky, Kansas, Illinois, Connecticut etc. for one road game each year.

I was looking through Gonzaga’s past shedules and they played the following teams sice 1998:

Kansas
Memphis
Purdue
Washington
Washington St.
Temple
Cincinnati
UCLA
Oregon
Colorado
Arizona
Florida
St. Johns
Texas
Marquette
Fresno St.
St. Josephs
Utah
Indiana
Kentucky
Georgia
NC State
Stanford
Maryland
Missouri
Minnesota
Georgia Tech
Oklahoma St.

This does not include post-season tournaments of any kind. Not too bad.

Most everyone would have been happy with the caibre of teams in the summer if you looked at their 2003-04 resumes, 13 games against teams in post season play and would have had 2 others with Arizona (NCAA first round) and George Washington (NIT first round). Honestly, we would have been doing back flips with a 9-2 record now or cussing at 8-3, maybe worse.

Rutgers - NIT runnerup, beat Temple, West Virginia & Iowa State, lost to Villanova
Valparaiso - NCAA first round, lost to Gonzaga
Louisiana Lafayette - NCAA first round, lost to NC State
Alabama - NCAA Elite Eight, beat Syracuse & Stanford, lost to Connecticut
Alabama Birmingham - NCAA Elite Eight, beat Washington & Kentucky, lost to Kansas
Cincinnati (2) - NCAA 2nd round, beat East Tennessee State, lost to Illinois
DePaul - NCAA 2nd round, beat Dayton, lost to Connecticut
Louisville - NCAA first round, lost to Xavier
Marquette - NIT quarterfinalist, beat Toledo & Boise State, lost to Iowa State
Memphis - NCAA 2nd round, beat South Carolina, lost to Oklahoma State
Saint Louis (2) - NIT 2nd round, beat Iowa, lost to Notre Dame

We can complain all we want to, but there is a knack to scheduling and sometimes things do not work out as planned, games are contracted several years in advance. Had Bobby scheduled 9 non-conference NCAA tournament teams, there would be complaints of it being too rough early on. If some are howling now, can you imagine the uproar of playing 7 home games in December against the “lesser known” Division I schools in North Carolina?

And NinerUpNorth… could it possibly be that one of those so-called elite programs doesn’t want to schedule the Charlotte 49ers for fear of losing at home? We are not a TV darling team, had C-SET not been around, there would be no local coverage, much less national TV. Bobby has played golf with Tubby Smith twice over the summer and he didn’t want to schedule the 49ers.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jan 3 2005, 12:22 PM [b] [b]Rutgers[/b] - NIT semi-finalist, beat Temple & West Virginia, lost to Villanova

[/b]

HP, Rutgers actually beat Villanova (and Iowa State) and lost to Michigan in the NIT championship game 62-55.

Weren’t we close to signing a deal with Mississippi State??? Or is the New Year’s champagne still playing tricks on me?

you’re correct run, I was looking at an incomplete NIT bracket sheet.

Mississsippi State is a possible future opponent.

[b]And NinerUpNorth... could it possibly be that one of those so-called elite programs doesn't want to schedule the Charlotte 49ers for fear of losing at home? We are not a TV darling team, had C-SET not been around, there would be no local coverage, much less national TV. Bobby has played golf with Tubby Smith twice over the summer and he didn't want to schedule the 49ers. [/b]

The same thing goes for Gonzaga as of 1997 or 1998. But, they decided to play away games with nothing in return in order to gain national exposure. Charlotte should / could do the same thing.

I think the main problem is that we are a fringe-national team. You don’t have to know that much about college basketball to know who we are, but we aren’t an instantly recognizable top 25 team. We are going to lose stupid games and probably end up with an RPI around 30-50 every year. If you are a top 20 team, you don’t want to schedule us because 1) we can beat anyone on a given night and 2) We won’t really be viewed as a quality loss(if there is such a thing) if we do beat a top 25 team. We’re in no man’s land right now. If a top 25 team is making a schedule, they aren’t looking for hidden RPI boosts, they will be looking for marquee matchups for ESPN to pick up or cupcakes. They don’t want to chance a team like us who may just beat them, but will still lose to St. Louis and some other sub .500 team every year.

Our options are pretty much either try to slowly build up presteige and work our way into being a Top 25 team(which seems to be the path Lutz and company are going for) or to pull a Gonzaga and schedule a couple one game @ big name schools every year, hoping we knock off some of them to get some respect. The “Gonzaga Route” is dangerous though, we could easily lose all of the games we schedule on the road against top 25 teams, there isn’t much of a bright side to losing games like that. I think the best way is what we are currently doing, schedule a mix of postseason teams and cupcakes, we just need to start doing a better job of winning the games we do schedule…

Scheduling is as much about anticipation as recruiting is, you just have to get lucky sometimes, and sometimes we aren’t going to get lucky. Like many people have said, Indiana, Alabama, Rutgers and Valpo all looked like really good games for us at some point over the past few years, we just got some bad luck and 3 of the 4 turned out to be duds.

As for the Cable Car, I like that we played it. College players don’t often get a chance to win trophies very often. Just the sense of actually winning something has got to be a good feeling for the players(I remember one of Wither’s quotes from the USA team where he said something like “This is the first time I’ve ever won anything”). It’s a moral issue, true the competition wasn’t the best, but our guys got to actually win a college tournament, I will take that opportunity everytime we can get it.

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner[/i]@Jan 3 2005, 12:29 PM [b] Lutz tries to schedule quality programs all the time. However most of the top tier schools won't come here and play a home and home and it would be dumb for us to just give them a home game with nothing in return. No, this season's schedule isn't the greatest, but we lost the series with AZ when Olson decided he didn't want to come here and we've tried to scchedule home and homes with countless others. They simply won't play us. [/b]
Bingo!
[b]I think the best way is what we are currently doing, schedule a mix of postseason teams and cupcakes, we just need to start doing a better job of winning the games we do schedule... [/b]

If we keep on doing what we are doing we will be a middle of the road program forever.

[b]The "Gonzaga Route" is dangerous though, we could easily lose all of the games we schedule on the road against top 25 teams, there isn't much of a bright side to losing games like that. [/b]

If we lose all of the games then we at least know what kind of program we have and we can stop bitching about schedules. We will know that we are in with the Creighton’s of the world instead of the Louisville’s.

[b]Can someone please explain why it is so bad to play one road game versus an elite opponent with nothing in return? [/b]

Date Result Site Record Conf
Tue Nov 23 Indiana 56, (256) Indiana St. 52 Home 1-0
Sat Nov 27 Indiana 64, (286) Western Illinois 60 Home 2-0
Wed Dec 1 (16) North Carolina 70, Indiana 63 Home 2-1
Sat Dec 4 (25) Connecticut 74, Indiana 69 Away 2-2
Wed Dec 8 (192) Notre Dame 55, Indiana 45 Home 2-3
Sat Dec 11 (26) Kentucky 73, Indiana 58 Neutral (Louisville, KY) 2-4
Sun Dec 19 (119) Missouri 56, Indiana 53 Away 2-5
Wed Dec 22 (106) Charlotte 74, Indiana 73 Home 2-6
Tue Dec 28 Indiana 71, (125) Ball St. 59 Neutral (Indianapolis, IN) 3-6
Fri Dec 31 Indiana 69, (120) Oral Roberts 68 Home 4-6
Sun Jan 2 Indiana 68, (209) Furman 52 Home 5-6

How does this schedule look? Check Michigan State’s out from last year. MSU 03-04 Schedule

Yes, they got into the tourney, but barely, and they also had a 5-6 non-conference record against a similar schedule. Would you rather be 5-6 playing that schedule heading into conference play, or 9-2 with the one we played. Unless you have an elite team, playing that kind of schedule gets you 1 game above .500 at best. For us, it would be worse because a) we are not an elite program (i.e. talent-wise) and b ) we would play more road games than IU and MSU did with a schedule like that. Most any of the elite teams will play us at their place unless we’ve kicked their @$$ previously. Upsetting teams like Syracuse at their place happen infrequently, even when you have a very good team. We can’t control how well other teams play. Also, there is no way to know how well the Valpo’s and ULL’s will play NEXT season when you are scheduling. You have to rely on recent history and hope that pays off. As HP pointed out, our schedule looked pretty good going into the season and I still think it will work out to be a Top 150 RPI if not better when conference play is over. Our SOS rating is almost always Top 100, and the years that it is not it’s not far off.

[b]QUOTE Can someone please explain why it is so bad to play one road game versus an elite opponent with nothing in return? [/b]

Can someone please explain why it is so bad to play ONE road game versus an elite opponent with nothing in return?

Is there an echo in here?

Ummm, I think usually that elite team would need to call you first, not you calling them requesting the game.

And I don’t think the hotline scheduliing phone in the basketball office is ringing off the hook.

[b]Ummm, I think usually that elite team would need to call you first, not you calling them requesting the game. [/b]

Really! You think Illinois called Longwood to schedule the game? Really?!? I don’t. You think Illinois just opened the NCAA directory and just blindly picked a school like Longwood and said “Let’s call these guys”. Really?

[b]Can someone please explain why it is so bad to play ONE road game versus an elite opponent with nothing in return? [/b]

Who do you consider elite? There seems to be some difference of opinion on this.

[b]Is there an echo in here? [/b]

Yes…Yes…Yes… Yes…Yes.

I consider an elite team to be from the Big Ten, Big East, ACC, SEC, Big Twelve, or Pac-10 and also consistently finish in the top two or three of that division. For example, Kentucky, Kansas, Florida, Arizona, Connecticut, Syracuse, Michigan St., Wake Forest, Illionois, etc.

Now, I am not saying saying we haven’t played these teams before. I am asking what would be so bad to play a single road game against one of these teams. National recognition, road atmosphere, RPI boost, etc.

Indiana played several elite schools (Kentucky, North Carolina, and Connecticut) and I would never suggest that. One elite team per year.

As far as saying we are too good to not get home and homes. We aren’t. We can sit here until we are bluue in the face saying we should get that respect but we don’t and won’t. Go play someone, consistently, on their home court and demand respect.

Even if you lose you get some national recognition. I promise I had never heard of Longwood before they lost to Illinois.