Will Rodney ever grow up?

From Mike Kahn of Sportsline.com:

Denver Nuggets

…they still are in dire need of a shooting guard, and it’s evident president Kiki Vandeweghe decided he’d rather save that extra $1 million-plus to throw into his sub-salary cap kitty to attract a free agent like Brent Barry, Jamal Crawford, Hedo Turkoglu or Manu Ginobili. Of course, if Rodney White decides to grow up, they might already have their shooting guard, but nobody believes that will happen. They improved a lot but need to do more. Grade: C

Link: Draft results hard to grade with overflow of unknown talent

Simple answer - probably not.

This guy has always thought he’s better than he is and has never proven a thing. I can’t believe this guy has been in the NBA three years already, just more evidence of a messed up system that saw 8, for the most part, scrawny non-shooting high school players get drafted last night.

[i]Originally posted by bobblinlutz[/i]@Jun 25 2004, 03:33 PM [b]Simple answer - probably not.

This guy has always thought he’s better than he is and has never proven a thing. I can’t believe this guy has been in the NBA three years already, just more evidence of a messed up system that saw 8, for the most part, scrawny non-shooting high school players get drafted last night.[/b]

That’s why I dislike the NBA. These kids are millionaires before they even prove a thing. Where’s the need to actually be any good? They already have the money.

Rodney does have a lot of potential but he still suffers from a lack of focus and concentration. I think not having his option picked up and starting the year at the end of the bench did have an effect on him. He needs to figure out how to take setbacks like that and move on.

True professionals come to play night in and night out. Rodney is not there yet. He needs to become more of a heady, team player so he won’t get pulled if the shots are not falling.

I have seen improvement in Rodney and I believe he will find his niche in the NBA. I would hope that Kiki Vandeweghe has told him what he needs to do to improve and take his game to the next level.

Rodney should use Chauncey Billups as a role model. Billups was a high draft pick that bounced around for several years before the right team saw value in him.

I certainly wonder why the Nuggets did not leave Rodney unprotected for the Bobcats to swoop him up. Of course according to the Cats management, they probably wouldn’t had picked him up anyway, because they are supposedly going for role model types. Good luck with all of that…geez.

[i]Originally posted by franchise49er[/i]@Jun 26 2004, 11:43 PM [b] I certainly wonder why the Nuggets did not leave Rodney unprotected for the Bobcats to swoop him up. Of course according to the Cats management, they probably wouldn't had picked him up anyway, because they are supposedly going for role model types. Good luck with all of that....geez. [/b]
Rodney's an unrestricted free agent. They couldn't put him on the list. The free agency period begins July 1. Players can begin signing around July 14th.