Wingate Exhibition Postgame

Niner Nation…where we write off freshmen after one exhibition game.

[quote=“UC Niner, post:21, topic:28359”]Niner Nation…where we write off freshmen after one exhibition game.[/quote]No doubt. Ogubueze didn’t score at all, ugh.

here is how i think blakely’s season goes. i think he will struggle early on and get better as the season progresses to the point where he is able to showcase some of his skill, i.e., hit more three, drive more and block some shots, so that next season he will be able to contribute and hopefully slide to the small forward. long-term, bryan is the one i am more concerned about whether or not he can play at this level.

I think the Niners will get what they need out of Bryan, some rebounds & put backs & decent defense. Most important no bone head plays.

As for Blakely, the thing I love was that he wasnt timed. He will learn in time whats a good and what`s a bad shot. I like his frame & he will get stronger.

Cherry will be a big plus this season. He is a better ball handler than I thought he would be. I`m confident he will knock down open shots.

Lester is a good athlete and can handle the ball. He should create some open looks with his ability to drive the ball. He looks great in the open court.

[quote=“Dowless, post:17, topic:28359”][quote=“Nugget, post:16, topic:28359”][quote=“Dowless, post:14, topic:28359”]If we had the depth we should have red shirted Blakely. He is half the thickness that Thorne is so he is going to get pushed around a lot this season. If he would have made a couple of those open 3’s we would be speaking differently of him. He does seem to hang out on the outside a bit much for a big man. Hopefully, he improves as a post player and brings a good outside shot along with it. He has some time to grow. Bryan looked ok, but he is about the same as Blakely in my opinion. He grabbed more minutes because he fills the roll of SF, but his numbers were not much different than Blakely’s. In 32 minutes of play they gave us 2 points on 1-7 shooting with 5 rebounds and 3 assists. Those are small numbers, but the best things that they did is that they only gave up 1 foul and committed 0 turnovers. So they didn’t help much, but really didn’t hurt us any. I can live with that from those guys for now.

A little more about Thorne and his opponent. The Winthrop big men were as tall as Thorne, but were quick and looked polished for DII. Thorne ran well and played with good energy. He could have had 20 is some of his close shots would have fallen. He took one ugly outside shot starting from the 3 point line and stepping inside the arc. He looked timid and rushed that shot, but in warm-ups he showed that he can hit at that range. When Thorne took one shot I noticed he had the ball a foot and a half above any hands. Not going to block those. He has a good FT shot and looks confident from there. As he gets more game experience he will get even better. I think by mid-season he will be seen as an upgrade over Braz if not earlier.[/quote]I was thinking just the opposite. I am not sure what his numbers were, and they may have been fine, but it is a weird shot. He takes his left hand completely off the ball and shoots with one hand.[/quote]

He was 3-4. I’m not a coach so I don’t speak much of form, but as a spectator the arc and velocity of his FT’s look good for a guy of his size and they are consistent. If he can do it one handed great. Maybe Clayton should start the one handed toss as well. :)[/quote]

Thorne was 10-12 from the line against Pfeiffer last season. He can hit FTs. http://www.charlotte49ers.com//pdf8/970131.pdf?ATCLID=205723914&SPSID=363433&SPID=44799&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=23200

[quote=“NLP49, post:25, topic:28359”][quote=“Dowless, post:17, topic:28359”][quote=“Nugget, post:16, topic:28359”][quote=“Dowless, post:14, topic:28359”]If we had the depth we should have red shirted Blakely. He is half the thickness that Thorne is so he is going to get pushed around a lot this season. If he would have made a couple of those open 3’s we would be speaking differently of him. He does seem to hang out on the outside a bit much for a big man. Hopefully, he improves as a post player and brings a good outside shot along with it. He has some time to grow. Bryan looked ok, but he is about the same as Blakely in my opinion. He grabbed more minutes because he fills the roll of SF, but his numbers were not much different than Blakely’s. In 32 minutes of play they gave us 2 points on 1-7 shooting with 5 rebounds and 3 assists. Those are small numbers, but the best things that they did is that they only gave up 1 foul and committed 0 turnovers. So they didn’t help much, but really didn’t hurt us any. I can live with that from those guys for now.

A little more about Thorne and his opponent. The Winthrop big men were as tall as Thorne, but were quick and looked polished for DII. Thorne ran well and played with good energy. He could have had 20 is some of his close shots would have fallen. He took one ugly outside shot starting from the 3 point line and stepping inside the arc. He looked timid and rushed that shot, but in warm-ups he showed that he can hit at that range. When Thorne took one shot I noticed he had the ball a foot and a half above any hands. Not going to block those. He has a good FT shot and looks confident from there. As he gets more game experience he will get even better. I think by mid-season he will be seen as an upgrade over Braz if not earlier.[/quote]I was thinking just the opposite. I am not sure what his numbers were, and they may have been fine, but it is a weird shot. He takes his left hand completely off the ball and shoots with one hand.[/quote]

He was 3-4. I’m not a coach so I don’t speak much of form, but as a spectator the arc and velocity of his FT’s look good for a guy of his size and they are consistent. If he can do it one handed great. Maybe Clayton should start the one handed toss as well. :)[/quote]

Thorne was 10-12 from the line against Pfeiffer last season. He can hit FTs. http://www.charlotte49ers.com//pdf8/970131.pdf?ATCLID=205723914&SPSID=363433&SPID=44799&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=23200[/quote]

He needs to get some old film/tape of Cedric Maxwell and learn some of his very deceptive moves and ability to get to the FT line. Max was not very notable as a soph, but he just took off his last 2 years here. His frequent FT shooting/hitting was key to his overall scoring and point totals.

[quote=“49er1, post:26, topic:28359”][quote=“NLP49, post:25, topic:28359”][quote=“Dowless, post:17, topic:28359”][quote=“Nugget, post:16, topic:28359”][quote=“Dowless, post:14, topic:28359”]If we had the depth we should have red shirted Blakely. He is half the thickness that Thorne is so he is going to get pushed around a lot this season. If he would have made a couple of those open 3’s we would be speaking differently of him. He does seem to hang out on the outside a bit much for a big man. Hopefully, he improves as a post player and brings a good outside shot along with it. He has some time to grow. Bryan looked ok, but he is about the same as Blakely in my opinion. He grabbed more minutes because he fills the roll of SF, but his numbers were not much different than Blakely’s. In 32 minutes of play they gave us 2 points on 1-7 shooting with 5 rebounds and 3 assists. Those are small numbers, but the best things that they did is that they only gave up 1 foul and committed 0 turnovers. So they didn’t help much, but really didn’t hurt us any. I can live with that from those guys for now.

Thorne was 10-12 from the line against Pfeiffer last season. He can hit FTs. http://www.charlotte49ers.com//pdf8/970131.pdf?ATCLID=205723914&SPSID=363433&SPID=44799&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=23200[/quote]

He needs to get some old film/tape of Cedric Maxwell and learn some of his very deceptive moves and ability to get to the FT line. Max was not very notable as a soph, but he just took off his last 2 years here. His frequent FT shooting/hitting was key to his overall scoring and point totals.[/quote]

He was also not always a good free throw shooter earlier in his career, but he worked on his free throw shooting and developed his little “practice shot” he took before every free throw. That little practice shot became his trademark. Regarding him “not taking off until his Junior year”, I think that was somewhat due to the contrast in coaching styles between Foster and Rose.

I was not there but have heard that they went back to “Next Episode” by Dr Dre. If this is true, I am ecstatic. This should always be our intro music IMO.

As far as attendance, I wonder if we will have more fans for this exhibition or our 4:00 Friday afternoon game?

I was not there but have heard that they went back to “Next Episode” by Dr Dre. If this is true, I am ecstatic. This should always be our intro music IMO.

As far as attendance, I wonder if we will have more fans for this exhibition or our 4:00 Friday afternoon game?[/quote]

it was. the best intro music is “the way i are” by timbaland. great beat and gets you pumped up.

That’s not grammatically correct.

When attendance drops to less than 2,000, does it really matter?

When attendance drops to less than 2,000, does it really matter?[/quote]

Attendance was announced at 3723. It was not close to that.

clt says call me al is always popular.

Attendance was announced at 3723. It was not close to that.[/quote]yeah, it looked like it was maybe 1500 or so. Means we probably have around 1500-2000 season ticket holders. That’s pretty bad.

Attendance was announced at 3723. It was not close to that.[/quote]yeah, it looked like it was maybe 1500 or so. Means we probably have around 1500-2000 season ticket holders. That’s pretty bad.[/quote]
How do you figure?

Attendance was announced at 3723. It was not close to that.[/quote]yeah, it looked like it was maybe 1500 or so. Means we probably have around 1500-2000 season ticket holders. That’s pretty bad.[/quote]
Yea and 1,000 of those were in Conway

Clearly, Major’s inability to sell out an exhibition game while the most sought after road game was occurring in football is a bad sign. I predict that at least 1500 more people would have showed had he just shaved his head.

As far as attendance, I wonder if we will have more fans for this exhibition or our 4:00 Friday afternoon game?[/quote]

it was. the best intro music is “the way i are” by timbaland. great beat and gets you pumped up.[/quote]

That was the player intro music but not the video intro correct? Sounded like 2 different songs. My criticism was towards the video intro music. Was way to slow.

I place the blame squarely on Judy. C’mon, name one other program that would schedule a football game and a men’s basketball game to be on at the same time. Just more proof that she’s out to sabotage men’s sports. As long as Judy is our AD, we will always be M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

it was. the best intro music is “the way i are” by timbaland. great beat and gets you pumped up.[/quote]

The way I are is solid. Next Episode is also solid.