With Fans like this Who can blame him

With fans like we have here why wouldn’t he leave? He could go to NC State where they could fill up halton 3 times with the fans they have at games. It is a total shame that we cant do any better than we do. People just show up to watch the cincinnati game or any other one that might get them on tv. Give me a break. How can we expect to keep anyone with fan support like that.

I agree, but if you just take care of business, win games, get ranked etc. people will come out. We always manage to shoot ourselves in the foot right when we are trying to generate electricity.

I dont live down in the Charlotte area, but what do you all think the problem is? Is there too much to do in Charlotte. Is it a pro sports town or what? Do they market the program enough? What the hell is going on?

[b]what do you all think the problem is?[/b]

I don’t think there is a problem. I think there are multiple issues that add up to where the program is today.

• The ACC roots are very deep in this area.
  • The Athletic Dept. needs to market themselves better.
  • Joe (or Jane) AverageFan is more interested in going to games where they can recognize the opponent.
  • Until this season, the school was treated as an after thought in local print media.
  • The school is treated as an after thought on local radio and TV.

I feel you Z man! There’s no excuse especially when you have only one team, and one sport within 60 miles worth cheering for. Other schools like Chapel Hill get just as many fans at their women’s soccer games and men’s baseball than we do for basketball. NC is supposed to be basketball country, along with Kentucky. It’s not like our fans can make excuses they’re supporting other events, there are none!!! If you want the niners to be respected in bball, the first thing we can do is pack it out every game( not just when cincy and l’ville come to town) and make it a place that everyone talks about not wanting to play at. Follow Oregon’s lead in football, not really a powerhouse team, mostly overshadowed in their conference. But, Teams know they don’t want to play there. Sorry that OREGON’S SUCH A RANDOM TEAM.

Lutz has done a great job, with the group of acc rejects he has. Our team usually consists of: 4-5 future inmates ( i.e. demon brown) , 2-4 token white boy shooters(i.e. jobey and plavich) and my fav. DWIGGINS 2-3 BIG MEN???- Who average more fouls than minutes( i.e. Iti) 1 POTENTIAL STAR—BUT IS ALWAYS AN UNDERACHIEVER WHO DOESN’T PLAY HARD ENOUGH TO BE IN THE ACC- WITHERS, RODNEY!!!

I’D LOVE TO SEE LUTZ DRAWING UP PLAYS FOR GUYS WHO ACTUALLY PLAY HARD AND LISTEN, NOT TO WORRIED ABOUT THREATENING PEOPLE WITH HAIRDRYER’S!!! UNDERSTANDING THAT THE TEAM IS MORE IMPORTANT.

SO BEST OF LUCK TO LUTZ IF HE DOES LEAVE!!! I’D WELCOME DOHERTY TO TAKE OVER UNC-CORRECTIONAL/COMMUTER SCHOOL ANYDAY.

Where are all the Lutz bashers? After a loss he takes a beating on this board and now its…please don’t leave…please don’t leave.

If Bobby wants to leave then I’ll say good job, thanks for all your hard work, you still made more money coaching basketball than should be paid to anyone, and I hope you do terrible like Watkins. Bad attitude, maybe, but, I don’t want someone here who doesn’t want to be here. We don’t have the money, we don’t have the fan base, etc. It has always been the same. What do we do? The answer is WIN. We have made real strides in wins, and in conference play. BUT, for us to get attention in this state we must win in the NCAA!! We have not made it out of the first weekend since 1977!!! We played UNC in the NCAA a few years ago and LOST!! Make the most of your opportunities. WE NEVER DO THAT. We lose when on the cusp of the TOP 25 EVERY YEAR. Top 25 chances this year? Loss. Loss (to ECU!?). SLU on Sat. Will we capitalize?

I LIKE Lutz and do NOT want him to leave. But attendance HAS improved. Last night was not good because people are more interested in a game between the #2 and #6 (I’m not sure if that is exactly right but it is close) teams in the country. I mean we were playing Houston. Phi Slamma Jamma is no longer playing.

Look, I love the 49ers. Don’t care one bit about the ACC. But to get attention here we have to win something. Sharing the CUSA title and losing early in the Tourney doesn’t cut it. Losing early in the NCAA doesn’t do it either.

I work as a consulting planner, writing long range plans and regulations for communities throughout New England. We rely heavily on community input to ensure that our work reflects the community’s vision for their own future.

Over the years, I have seen increasing apathy or at least greater competition for the attention of residents. I have conducted public hearings in communities as large as 40,000 residents that were advertised through citywide posters, legal notices, newspaper articles, random mailings, websites, public access cable tv, and word of mouth, only to have 6 or 7 residents, outside of the committee working on the Plan, show up at the hearing. The reasons? UCONN games, baseball playoffs, “American Idol”, “Survivor”, “Lost”, “Desparate Housewives”, two-income households, kids soccer and little league games, and probably some general apathy.

I have also seen hundreds of residents turn out from communities of 5,000 to 10,000 residents. The only reason that I can fathom is that these communities have more community spirit and pride.

I share Bobby’s frustration as I regularly watch mere handfuls of residents decide the future of tens of thousands, only to have residents turn out in droves months later to shout, “Not in my backyard!” when the community tries to implement the Plan and it hits close to home.

College basketball is like my work: the more the public gets involved, the better the product and the greater the chances of success.

[i]Originally posted by 49er96[/i]@Feb 10 2005, 10:27 AM [b] Where are all the Lutz bashers? After a loss he takes a beating on this board and now its...please don't leave...please don't leave.

If Bobby wants to leave then I’ll say good job, thanks for all your hard work, you still made more money coaching basketball than should be paid to anyone, and I hope you do terrible like Watkins. Bad attitude, maybe, but, I don’t want someone here who doesn’t want to be here. We don’t have the money, we don’t have the fan base, etc. It has always been the same. What do we do? The answer is WIN. We have made real strides in wins, and in conference play. BUT, for us to get attention in this state we must win in the NCAA!! We have not made it out of the first weekend since 1977!!! We played UNC in the NCAA a few years ago and LOST!! Make the most of your opportunities. WE NEVER DO THAT. We lose when on the cusp of the TOP 25 EVERY YEAR. Top 25 chances this year? Loss. Loss (to ECU!?). SLU on Sat. Will we capitalize?

I LIKE Lutz and do NOT want him to leave. But attendance HAS improved. Last night was not good because people are more interested in a game between the #2 and #6 (I’m not sure if that is exactly right but it is close) teams in the country. I mean we were playing Houston. Phi Slamma Jamma is no longer playing.

Look, I love the 49ers. Don’t care one bit about the ACC. But to get attention here we have to win something. Sharing the CUSA title and losing early in the Tourney doesn’t cut it. Losing early in the NCAA doesn’t do it either. [/b]

I here these remarks all the time from fans of our school. It is very tough to recruit here against the big name teams in the state (by the way I think Lutz has done a great job recruiting). I get the strong feeling from some fans that if we aren’t making the final 4 consistantly like Duke then we aren’t that “good.”

I’m wondering (seriously) if anyone can point out a game last night - or within the past week or two - where an unranked team with only really one good win sold out their game on a Wednesday night.

Best examples I can find are Arkansas (which listed their game as a sellout or near sellout) vs. Georgia last night and Auburn vs. LSU.

Who knows if the “real” attendance at Arkansas was a sellout, but LSU shows true attendance at 5600ish with an arena that seats 14,000. And since it’s Mardi Gras season down in the Bayou, that might be the best comparison to our situation with a big ACC game.

The point is, we’ve still got to prove something to grab attention away from the other teams in this area. We’ve got to play very well to get the attention of apathetic students. Is that the way it is at every school? No. Is that the way it is at a lot of them? Yes.

[i]Originally posted by 49er96[/i]@Feb 10 2005, 09:27 AM [b] If Bobby wants to leave then I'll say good job, thanks for all your hard work, you still made more money coaching basketball than should be paid to anyone, and I hope you do terrible like Watkins. [/b]
Well, I think that's a pathetic attitude to take regarding Bobby. I would never wish bad luck on Bobby and I would pull for him, wherever he wound up at. And no one here should fault someone for trying to better their career. I've been with my present company for almost 12 years and they have been great to me. But if I had an offer elsewhere to double my pay and work in a higher-profile industry, then I'd go. I would want the best for myself and the best for my family. I hope Lutz stays but if he left for an ACC job, I certainly wouldn't fault him for it. He's earned the right to coach/recruit amongst the elite in my opinion.

With as hard as he’s apparently recruiting Mack and especially Ism, it’s definitely a mixed-bag of signals.

I’ll tell you what though, whoever is coaching next year will take this team a lot farther than whatever ACC school has a vacancy after this season, Lutz included should he stay.

[i]Originally posted by Florida49er[/i]@Feb 10 2005, 11:15 AM [b] I'm wondering (seriously) if anyone can point out a game last night - or within the past week or two - where an unranked team with only really one good win sold out their game on a Wednesday night.

Best examples I can find are Arkansas (which listed their game as a sellout or near sellout) vs. Georgia last night and Auburn vs. LSU.

Who knows if the “real” attendance at Arkansas was a sellout, but LSU shows true attendance at 5600ish with an arena that seats 14,000. And since it’s Mardi Gras season down in the Bayou, that might be the best comparison to our situation with a big ACC game.

The point is, we’ve still got to prove something to grab attention away from the other teams in this area. We’ve got to play very well to get the attention of apathetic students. Is that the way it is at every school? No. Is that the way it is at a lot of them? Yes. [/b]

Good points. And Virginia and NCSU are not selling out all of their games either.

[i]Originally posted by Ruckus42[/i]@Feb 10 2005, 06:59 AM [b] With fans like we have here why wouldn't he leave? He could go to NC State where they could fill up halton 3 times with the fans they have at games. It is a total shame that we cant do any better than we do. People just show up to watch the cincinnati game or any other one that might get them on tv. Give me a break. How can we expect to keep anyone with fan support like that. [/b]
Actually, UNC-Hillsborough St. averages 13,381 in home attendance, not even twice as much as Halton Arena.
[b]Lutz has done a great job, with the group of acc rejects he has. Our team usually consists of: 4-5 future inmates ( i.e. demon brown) , 2-4 token white boy shooters(i.e. jobey and plavich) and my fav. DWIGGINS 2-3 BIG MEN???- Who average more fouls than minutes( i.e. Iti) 1 POTENTIAL STAR---BUT IS ALWAYS AN UNDERACHIEVER WHO DOESN'T PLAY HARD ENOUGH TO BE IN THE ACC- WITHERS, RODNEY!!!![/b]

So where do players like Baldwin, Drayton, Nance, Goldwire and Basden fit on that list? Mitch interned at ESPN over the summer, and does color on the women’s games. Eddie IS the Player of the Year, and Goldwire made the freakin’ Dean’s List for the love of God!

WHERE ARE THE LUTZ BASHERS??

I’M RIGHT HERE.

Like I have always said, great recruiter and an average coach. I’m just saying that I can’t blame him for leaving, but hey Matt Doherty can do just as good as him. He’s a great recruiter and an average coach as well. If Lutz leaves he’ll regret it because a schedule like that of an ACC school would really do him in. He’s probably lucky we don’t play but 2 or 3 good teams a year.

The bottom line is that we have always been a “mid-major” program and from the looks of things, we always will be. Okay, call us “high” mid-major, if you like. The roughly 7,000 plus fans (on average)that we bring in every night is pretty strong for our type of program, if you ask me.

Bobby’s done the most with the least (consistently) for a long time. He’s proven his worth and I wouldn’t fault Bobby at all for moving on if he wants to. We all kow how much of a competitor he is anyway. Hopefully though, the lure of staying home and being close to his family wins out in the end. Plus, another 100 to 200K from Judy wouldn’t hurt either. The guy’s worth it to this program.

[i]Originally posted by soflaniner[/i]@Feb 10 2005, 08:46 AM [b] Lutz has done a great job, with the group of acc rejects he has. Our team usually consists of: 4-5 future inmates ( i.e. demon brown) , 2-4 token white boy shooters(i.e. jobey and plavich) and my fav. DWIGGINS 2-3 BIG MEN???- Who average more fouls than minutes( i.e. Iti) 1 POTENTIAL STAR---BUT IS ALWAYS AN UNDERACHIEVER WHO DOESN'T PLAY HARD ENOUGH TO BE IN THE ACC- WITHERS, RODNEY!!!!

I’D LOVE TO SEE LUTZ DRAWING UP PLAYS FOR GUYS WHO ACTUALLY PLAY HARD AND LISTEN, NOT TO WORRIED ABOUT THREATENING PEOPLE WITH HAIRDRYER’S!!! UNDERSTANDING THAT THE TEAM IS MORE IMPORTANT. [/b]

Are you serious? :wacko: :blink:

[i]Originally posted by switchfoot[/i]@Feb 10 2005, 10:02 AM [b] [QUOTE=49er96,Feb 10 2005, 10:27 AM] I here these remarks all the time from fans of our school. It is very tough to recruit here against the big name teams in the state (by the way I think Lutz has done a great job recruiting). I get the strong feeling from some fans that if we aren't making the final 4 consistantly like Duke then we aren't that "good." [/b]
I agree that we have a good team. We have a very good team. The problem we are talking about here is attendance and local/national exposure. Those things improve with winning. No one around here cares about the "#27" team in the country. They care about the TOP 25. If we continue to lose in the first round, continue to choke in games that can help/hurt our ranking, attendance will not improve. I certainly don't think we have to make the final four or sweet sixteen every year...but...once in 28 years? That is the reason we don't get the same coverage, have the same attedance, have more loyal fans. By the way, I will HATE it if Lutz leaves. He has been EXACTLY what the program needs and I WANT him to stay.
[i]Originally posted by Ruckus42[/i]@Feb 10 2005, 10:41 AM [b] He's probably lucky we don't play but 2 or 3 good teams a year. [/b]
You're lucky you don't play but 1 or 2 good teams a season. You can barely beat Outlawz.

SMOOTHIE KING–

U JUST TALKED ABOUT MOST OF THE PLAYERS I LIKE-- EDDIE BASDEN BEING MY FAVORITE. I’VE ALWAYS THOUGHT HE WOULD BECOME THE PLAYER HE IS NOW. BUT HAVING AS MANY IDIOTS AS WE HAVE IS WAY TOO MANY, ESPECIALLY IF WE HAD A TOUGH SCHEDULE, AND LUTZ HAD TO COUNT ON SOME OF THESE PLAYERS TO BE CLUTCH (ACC SCHEDULE) DAY IN DAY OUT . FOOD FOR THOUGHT THOUGH— THE ONLY REASON WHY BASDEN CAME TO CHARLOTTE IN THE FIRST PLACE WAS BECAUSE OF THE INJURY HE HAD IN HIGH SCHOOL. HE WOULD HAVE PICKED MORE OF A “HIGH PROFILE” SCHOOL IF THAT KNEE HADN’T GIVEN HIM TROUBLE. ALL I’M SAYING IS: U CAN’T GET KIDS TO LISTEN, IF THEY DON’T REALLY CARE OR DON’T USE THEIR HEAD. FOR EXAMPLE, KEVIN JOHNSON HAD ALL THE TALENT IN THE WORLD AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL AND THE PROS, BUT HE PROBABLY WAS THE DUMBEST KID I’VE EVER WATCHED PLAY. EXCUSE ME “BUTTER” FOR CLARIFICATION. OTHER TOP COACHES STOP RECRUITING PLAYERS WHO ARE GOING TO BE HEAD CASES FOR THEIR COLLEGE CAREERS.

I THINK WITHERS IS HEADED IN THE SAME DIRECTION AS RODNEY, POTENTIAL THERE-BUT NO WORK ETHIC=NO DEFENSE.

BDR

Tell em Bird: Butter had more talent than anyone else in CUSA but less of a brain than anyone in the NW4A. Withers is trying to go pro now by shooting jump shots and playing like he has one, but wait he doesn’t. I’ll give you credit though Basden certainly has panned out just as you predicted he would. He IS the best player in CUSA. He had 5 or 6 more inches on his vertical in HS before he blew out his knee. He would have certainly been ACC would it not have been for that. Iti- oh my god what a joke. Saw him play for MT. Zion the same night Lebron came to tha Boro and knew he was a joke then. He had about 4 points that game and the laziest attitude in the world. How else do you think we could pull the #1 center in the nation. There was a reason no one else wanted him. Slow, lazy, bad hands, no touch, what more is there?

Lutz does good for what he can get, but hey when you have to settle for what no one else wants, you’ll never be top 10.