WNIT vs. High Point

The Lady 9ers are in the WNIT, which is a little disappointing given how promising our season looked, but better than being Fordham’s women’s team. We play High Point this Thursday at 7 in Halton. Tickets are free to the first 1,000 students. Be there.

In the email it didnt say if the student tix are free

I went to get them and there were signs at the ticket office saying that the first 1,000 students got them for free. I got mine for free, and Amanda did as well, so unless they like us a lot more than I thought they did, the tickets are free.

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;224477] I got mine for free, and Amanda did as well…[/QUOTE]

Gosh, even she has to have a ticket?

Nice story line here… the return of former 49er sharp-shooter Leslie Cook to Halton Arena for her collegiate finale.

Cook is a 2007 ESPN: The Magazine/CoSIDA Academic All-America First Team member. She was selected as the Big South Conference Women’s Basketball Scholar-Athlete of the Year for the second time and made the Big South All-Conference Second Team.

[URL=http://www.highpointpanthers.com/headlines/?HeadlineID=31861][B]High Point Set to Play Charlotte in WNIT[/B][/URL], [URL=http://www.highpointpanthers.com][B]HighPointPanthers.com[/B][/URL]

[URL=http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/031307aab.html][B]49ers Host High Point In The First Round of The WNIT[/B][/URL], [URL=http://www.charlotte49ers.com][B]Charlotte49ers.com[/B][/URL]

[QUOTE=HP49er;224485]Nice story line here… the return of former 49er sharp-shooter Leslie Cook to Halton Arena for [B]what we hope will be[/B] her collegiate finale.[/QUOTE]
Fixed.

ahhh finally, one more dose of basketball before season end

TF, can I wear my purple shirt to the game? :dribble:

They worked so hard to get to #1 only to lay a giagantic egg against Winthrop in the opening round of the Big South tournament. Radford has owned the conference for years. Winthrop had been 5-25 prior to that. Of course, they did lose to HPU 5 days before, 57-49, before bumping the Panthers, 57-50 in the tournament.

ahhh finally, one more dose of basketball before season end

My feelings exactly.

So uhhh…whos going?

[QUOTE=gotLutz;224655]So uhhh…whos going?[/QUOTE]
I would be going if not for my son’s soccer game on Thursday night at Wingate University against a team from Matthews. Makes a lot of sense for two Mecklenburg County U-15 futbol teams to play a game in Union County as it does to trek over to Gardner-Webb in Cleveland County to play a Gaston County team! Well, it is March Madness, so I guess we’re taking a cue as concerns neutral sites! :rolleyes:

Anyway, go Niners! Beat the Panthers!!!

I’ll be there.

What he said.

the gf and i will definitely be there

Link: [URL=http://www.highpointpanthers.com/ae_files/headlines/notes/Game%20Notes.pdf][B]Game Notes, High Point Panthers[/B][/URL]

[B]High Point Heads to Charlotte for WNIT Opener[/B]
By April Goode, [URL=http://www.highpointpanthers.com][B]HighPointPanthers.com[/B][/URL]
Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The High Point University women’s basketball team is heading to Charlotte on Thursday, March 15 for the opening round WNIT game against the 49ers. Game time is set for 7 p.m. in Halton Arena. This marks the first appearance by the Panthers in post-season play since moving to Division-I status in 1999.

HPU (18-11) earned a guaranteed spot in the post-season by claiming the Big South Regular Season title. Despite falling to Winthrop in the opening round of the conference tournament, HPU picked up the conference’s automatic bid to the WNIT.

Leading the Panthers this season is First Team All-Conference selection, senior Candyce Sellars who is averaging 12.9 points per game. Leslie Cook, a Second Team selection and the Big South Scholar-Athlete of the Year, is throwing in 10.4 points per game and was the team’s leading scorer the last time out, dropping 16 against the Eagles. Junior Amber Manuel is pulling down a team-high 7.3 boards.

Cook is no stranger to the 49ers, having spent her first two collegiate years as a member of the 49er basketball team. While at Charlotte, Cook set the school’s single-season record for number of three pointers made with 71.

“This is a great honor for our school and basketball program,” said head coach Tooey Loy. “To be involved in NCAA post season play while two-thirds of the country has already taken inventory and their seasons are over is a tremendous honor. We are very excited about Thursday’s game and we hope we can show our best game on the floor.”

For the 49ers (18-12) Sabrina Gregory leads the team with 14.3 points per game and is dishing out a team-high 4.3 assists per contest. Danielle Burgin is adding 10.9 while pulling down a team-high 7.3 rebounds per game.

Thursday’s game will mark the fourth meeting between the two schools with Charlotte holding the 2-1 advantage. The two teams last met in the 1981-1982 season.

The game can be heard via the web on www.highpointpanthers.com.

[QUOTE=HP49er;224787]Leslie Cook, a Second Team selection and the Big South Scholar-Athlete of the Year, is throwing in 10.4 points per game and was the team’s leading scorer the last time out, dropping 16 against the Eagles.

Cook is no stranger to the 49ers, having spent her first two collegiate years as a member of the 49er basketball team. While at Charlotte, Cook set the school’s single-season record for number of three pointers made with 71.[/QUOTE]
I had forgotten that Cook had transferred to HPU. Would have been nice to have had her in Niner green for her entire collegiate career. C’est la vie!

GO NINERS! PUNK THE PANTHERS!!!

I’ll be there.

[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=5][B]49ers Top High Point, 72-45, In First Round of WNIT[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][B][SIZE=2][B][/B][/SIZE][/B]
[B][I][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][B][I]Niners advance to play at Virginia on Monday[/I][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B][B][SIZE=2][B][/B][/SIZE][/B]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][B]Charlotte[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][B][SIZE=2][B], NC -[/B][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=2]The Charlotte 49ers topped the High Point Panthers 72-45 in the first round of the WNIT Thursday night in Charlotte. With the win, the Niners improve to 19-12 on the season and advance to play at Virginia Monday night at 7:00 p.m. The Panthers end their season with a record of 18-12.[/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2] “Tonight’s win was a total team effort,” Charlotte coach Amanda Butler said. “Everyone scored and rebounded tonight for us. We had an incredible rebounding effort in the second half after being outrebounded 26-22 in the first half, we responded and finished the game with a 52-38 advantage on the boards.”[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2] Danielle Burgin led the way for the Niners with 14 points, 11 rebounds and four blocked shots. Sabrina Gregory added 14 points, seven rebounds and four assists. Wendy Stywalt and Traci Ray chipped in with 13 and 12 points respectively. Ashley Spriggs had eight points, 10 rebounds and three blocked shots. Everyone scored at least one point in the game for the 49ers.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2] Leslie Cook led the way for High Point with 15 points and three assists. Ashlee Samuels added eight.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2] Charlotte jumped out to an early lead in the first half, starting the game by outscoring the Panthers 24-7 in the first 11 minutes of action. Stywalt scored the last five points of the run. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2] High Point responded with a 13-3 run to end the half, as Charlotte went into the break leading by seven. Charlotte shot 30 percent from the field in the first half while the Panthers shot 28 percent. The Niners had just four turnovers while forcing 10 from the Panthers. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2] The 49ers came out hot in the second half, quickly regaining a double digit lead. They stretched the lead to 17 at the 14:09 mark on back to back three pointers from Ray. The Niners continued to pull away in the half, getting a lead as large as 29 points. They shot 50 percent from the field in the second half while hitting four of seven three pointers. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2] Charlotte shot 40 percent from the field in the game, holding High Point to just 32 percent shooting. They also held a decisive 52-38 rebounding advantage and a 20-9 edge in s[/SIZE][/FONT]econd chance points. They had 11 steals while forcing 19 turnovers, four different players had two steals apiece.
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] With the win Charlotte advances to the second round of the WNIT where they will play at Virginia, who got a first round bye, Monday, March 19 at 7 pm.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Jim did I see you at the game?

No. I am in Atlanta for the race this weekend. We had someone there. I just posted the school’s release about the game. It was just sent to me.