Won again today

Don’t have a final score, but I heard it was around 20. Something in the mid 70’s to mid 50’s. Much better competition.

[i]Originally posted by TheProvider[/i]@Oct 10 2004, 04:33 PM [b] Much better competition. [/b]
True. They have a very good team, I read somewhere Humber College is the best team in Canada. A twenty something point win is OK with me, as long as we played good D and executed well on offense

Having not won a game this season (0-3), does not make this team a good team.
They lost their first game to the Alumni. They then followed with a L to powerhouse “Fanshawe.” Perhaps they are the best in Canada! However, this year they are not.

just going by what i have read, MeanGreen

chisox 17, everything is cool. I did not want any of us to think we were playing the UCLA of Canada. I went to their website and saw that they are winless thus far in the season. The game was closer than any one of us would want with Goldmire coming through again. Game and Box score http://charlotte49ers.collegesports.com/sp…/101004aad.html

Again poor FT%. The level of competition has no effect on this statistic. This must be dealt with if we want to contend this year. Also troubling is 11 A against 18 TOs. Maybe not -granted we’re playing exhibitions against lower quality, but we ARE playing 3 games in three nights to immediately begin the -practice- portion of the season. Fatigue may have played a role in tonight’s game and probably for sure tomorrow.

Game last night ended around 10:30pm. Game today started at 2:00pm. Add that to a 8:00pm flight on Friday night…Not exactly rested.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Oct 10 2004, 07:14 PM [b] Again poor FT%. The level of competition has no effect on this statistic. This must be dealt with if we want to contend this year. Also troubling is 11 A against 18 TOs. Maybe not -granted we're playing exhibitions against lower quality, but we ARE playing 3 games in three nights to immediately begin the -practice- portion of the season. Fatigue may have played a role in tonight's game and probably for sure tomorrow. [/b]
Yeah, but come Tournament time these guys have to be able to make turn arounds like that and not let fatigue affect them.

Martin had 4 fouls in 15 minutes :wacko:

Why don’t we call this the “Half empty” message board. Give it a rest guys. It is OCTOBER. These are EXHIBITIONS. Some of these guys are LEARNING because they are FRESHMEN (points guards). I am just thrilled that we get a two or three week jump on everyone else, not to mention 3 extra games. These will prove invaluable in Feb and March. Nothing like playing tourney like (3 games in three days) situations now. :smiley:

True, the game experience will prove to be important for the freshmen, especially with Baldwin out. This trip will be a blessing down the road for the 49ers.

Iti… cut those fouls down! :frowning:

[i]Originally posted by NinerInsider[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 07:31 AM [b] Why don't we call this the "Half empty" message board. Give it a rest guys. It is OCTOBER. These are EXHIBITIONS. Some of these guys are LEARNING because they are FRESHMEN (points guards). I am just thrilled that we get a two or three week jump on everyone else, not to mention 3 extra games. These will prove invaluable in Feb and March. Nothing like playing tourney like (3 games in three days) situations now. :D [/b]
Every year, it's the same story. The same problems we have in exhibition and early games crop up in the regular season and we they never get fixed. Why should this year be any different.

As I told most people after the UNC-A game, if we can’t minimize simple mistakes against a team like UNC-A, how are we going to do it against the really good teams?

Even though we started out slowly after the quick turn-around, we went on a nice run to pull away. Great sequence here:

Meanwhile, Charlotte’s defense shut down the Hawks while Plavich opened up from long-range. Charlotte trailed 32-27 at the half and was still down one, 44-43, when Plavich heated up. A trio of Plavich threes, along with a Basden putback and Basden steal and breakaway layup gave Charlotte a 56-51 lead. A couple more threes from Plavich, a Basden dunk and a Goldmire three-pointer wrapped up a 17-0 run as Charlotte held Humber to just one field goal in the final seven minutes.

As HP said, this puts us ahead of the game. 3 weeks of practices before most teams even get started. And PB, if we learn to minimize mistakes, this team will be a top 10 team. With some mistakes and poor free-throw shooting, we’re top 35 caliber. We’re loaded and I feel good about the CHEMISTRY.

Yeah, that’s one of the biggest things we need to work on. Discipline.

But, I can’t say for sure what happened just from a box score, they may have been murdering Withers in the paint and the refs weren’t calling it.

Like I said in another thread, Eddie had 11 boards and shot 14 times, but didn’t get to the line once?!

I’m glad PLav isn’t shooting an insane number of 3s this year so far, if he keeps that up all year, we will win those 2-3 games that we lost because of it last year. He’s shooting a great %, granted against inferior competition, but I think if he keeps the number of three pointers down to good shots (which he seems to be doing), then our team will be infinitely better than last year,

And, glad that we’re getting the practice in, we need it. Hopefully this will be enough to start the gelling process with our new players. Iti obviously needs the work, I hope he can figure out how not to foul out before he has to face real centers.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 08:13 AM [b] I'm glad PLav isn't shooting an insane number of 3s this year so far, if he keeps that up all year, we will win those 2-3 games that we lost because of it last year. He's shooting a great %, granted against inferior competition, but I think if he keeps the number of three pointers down to good shots (which he seems to be doing), then our team will be infinitely better than last year,

[/b]

Plavich was 8-12 from three in the first game. If he’s hot, we need for him to shoot it. If they’re extending on him, dump down low and let Withers do his thing. We need balance and to find the hot hand. We present a lot of mismatches with our big guys. People will have to guard Withers. Eddie is too strong at the 3 and EJ is TALL. Defense and ft shooting are my major concerns.

[i]Originally posted by NinerInsider[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 07:31 AM [b] Why don't we call this the "Half empty" message board. Give it a rest guys. It is OCTOBER. These are EXHIBITIONS. Some of these guys are LEARNING because they are FRESHMEN (points guards). I am just thrilled that we get a two or three week jump on everyone else, not to mention 3 extra games. These will prove invaluable in Feb and March. Nothing like playing tourney like (3 games in three days) situations now. :D [/b]
Well it is barely October and we already have someone telling everyone else how they should be posting and writing EVERY other WORD in CAPS.

Well the same issues this team had early last year plagued us all last season, so there is always reason for concern.

I think our biggest concern will be the point. The assist/turnover ratio from the young guys is poor and Goldwires line reads a little too much like a Demon Brown stat line for my liking. He certainly looks like he can play, though. Hopefully Mitch is going to solve the point problem and dish out plenty of assists to go along with his solid defense.

It was a decent test. The day before Withers, Plavich, and Iti carried us with Basden and Goldie having subpar efforts. Yesterday, Basden, Goldwire, and Plavich carried us while Withers and Iti slumped. Everybody’s gonna have bad games, its just good to know you have others who can step in. During the season we’re not gonna win any games where Withers scores only 5 points, although I dont really think he’ll have any of those either.

Drayton seems like he’s gonna take a lot of shots, but he knows how to score (no surprise). He seems like so far he’s kept the turnovers down, something that has plagued him for a long time.

And Goldwire was hot yesterday! Maybe it seems like he shoots too much from boxscores, but these teams are probably collapsing all over our inside players leaving him open. We need more three point threats than Plavich, and so far Goldwire and Drayton at least have shown the ability to hit that shot.

We need an extra body, ie Pigford due to Martin’s foul troubles. Does anyone know if he is even practicing with the team until next semester? Or is he coming in cold turkey?

They have to be used to that style of play come tournament time, but that comes at the heels of a season long conditioning process. This is only the beginning. I think that’s what NinerInsider and I were getting at, PB.

I’m liking what I’m seeing. Aside from the FT% since it’s a carry-over issue.

Bring Jobey Thomas back as a free throw coach. That’s all we need him for.

[i]Originally posted by Iron9er[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 09:04 AM [b] Drayton seems like he's gonna take a lot of shots, but he knows how to score (no surprise). He seems like so far he's kept the turnovers down, something that has plagued him for a long time.

We need an extra body, ie Pigford due to Martin’s foul troubles. Does anyone know if he is even practicing with the team until next semester? Or is he coming in cold turkey? [/b]

Drayton is definitely not afraid to shoot. I didn’t realize he was a threat from three. May have to rein him in a little depending on who else is in the game.

Don’t forget Nance. He’s more of a banger than Pigford. We’ll need him.