Woodward and the Alma Mater

Okay, we in the Pep Band were team players and we’re playing the Alma Mater after every game, win or lose. And more fans have stuck around each time we’ve played it.

However, one of those fans does not include Chancellor Woodward. He left during the Alma Mater tonight for the 3rd straight time. If that’s not disrespect, I don’t know what is.

STICK AROUND, JIM!

Hey did Rose stay around for it too? I saw her in the hallway by the locker room on my out, but i didnt see her when we played it.

I and my clan of 5 have stuck around for the Alma for the last 3 and I like it. I think its a great tradition so keep playing it. BTW- it sounded a little different the first night.

Judy is cool so don’t be getting on her.

I’m not saying she isn’t a good person. I just think there are better people who could be in her position, we need a leader in her job that can help take us to the next level. I’d like to see a former “real” niner fan and grad in her position that isnt just doing it for the money, but doing it to better our athletic department. I was hoping the new basketball operations guy would also help raise us on the national level…He’s only been here a few weeks, so i really dont know too much about him or what hes doing.

Good pick up, TF. I’ve been hollering at the end of each home game bout where the chancellor is. It was quiet enough at one point that I yelled cross court about where his green was. He’s a lame duck chancellor. Hopefully we’ll get someone who cares a flying flip about everything Charlotte.

Cowbell, that is by far the coolest handle and avatar I have ever seen. It might have only been better if Lutz was holding the cowbell.

You guys are being way to picky.

The AD and chancellor need to be shaking hands and talking to people after the game.

[i]Originally posted by NINERcowbellplayer[/i]@Dec 12 2004, 01:48 AM [b] I was hoping the new basketball operations guy would also help raise us on the national level....He's only been here a few weeks, so i really dont know too much about him or what hes doing. [/b]
Actually, the Dir of Bball Operations is more of an organizational/coaching position. He also runs the summer camps. He's not someone who goes out and speaks or spreads awareness.

I agree with BigTime, the Chancellor and AD should be shaking hands and thanking people for their support, not necessarily standing at attention for the Alma-mater. Although, that’s certainly important as well.

Judy Rose must GO!! Must GO! MUST Go!

Old guy thought–you can’t complain about getting to the next level if you haven’t been there with us at any of the other levels. The year before I started school we had gone from being an independent to joining the Sunbelt conference. Step up. Our conference had South Alabama, Western KY, U of New Orleans and other such powerhouses. Judy Rose was a young coach with us having just started the women’s BBall program. We had a 15 year run, were conference champs 3 of them, went to the NCAA twice, and the NIT once.

Judy became our Assistant AD in 1981 and in 1990 became the AD. In 1991 we joined the Metro Conference with members such as Louisville, U of South FL, and VA Tech. Step up. The Metro lasted four seasons for us where we were conference champs twice, went to the NCAAs twice and the NIT once.

In 1995 we joined C-USA and joined teams such as Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis and Marquette. Step up. We were not originally invited to join this conference, but Judy and Chancellor Woodward worked, politicked, and probably begged to get us in. Had they not we would have been independents again looking for any conference to join. In our 9 years in C-USA we have been (co)champs 4 times, went to the Big Dance 5 times and the NIT once. During this period we built Halton Arena (private funding) and hired two 49er alumni as head coaches. We currently have Niner alumni as two assistant coaches and the director of BB Operations.

As we all know, C-USA is getting its guts ripped out next year and those that stay are not going to have much of a conference to call home. An invitation to the Big East was not in that conference’s game plan, so we put the word out and were invited to join the A-10 even though they were not looking to expand. Yes, it is probably a lateral move compared to where we are today, but not moving there would have been disasterous, so I say big step up.

We have been lucky to have Judy Rose as our AD. She is nationally respected amongst her peers and we have benefited from that. She has been here for 30 years and I think that makes her as much a Niner as anyone who has been a student for a couple of years. I think if you want to get to the next level you might think about sticking with those who have gotten us to the next level time and time again.

So, is the cow bell a skill position in the band or are you just giving us minutes until the cymbal guy can get back in? :wink:

[i]Originally posted by NINERcowbellplayer[/i]@Dec 12 2004, 01:48 AM [b] I'm not saying she isn't a good person. I just think there are better people who could be in her position, we need a leader in her job that can help take us to the next level. I'd like to see a former "real" niner fan and grad in her position that isnt just doing it for the money, but doing it to better our athletic department. I was hoping the new basketball operations guy would also help raise us on the national level....He's only been here a few weeks, so i really dont know too much about him or what hes doing. [/b]
watch it. obviously you do not know a thing about Judy. She is absolutely a leader and is very well respected across the country. She has been with this school for a very long time and has seen our entire atheletic program improve during that time. She has achieved a lot of firsts for a female AD, including being on the NCAA BB selection committee. She has had more to do with us getting some key non-conf. match ups due to her relationships with other AD's. That will only improve as she continues to get more national attention.
[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner+Dec 12 2004, 11:06 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LeftyNiner @ Dec 12 2004, 11:06 AM)

I wish more fans would stick around for it…or at least students. Then again most people don’t know we play it.

[i]Originally posted by 49erband+Dec 12 2004, 06:51 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (49erband @ Dec 12 2004, 06:51 PM)
Originally posted by LeftyNiner@Dec 12 2004, 11:06 AM [b]
[i]Originally posted by JKniner+Dec 13 2004, 12:24 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (JKniner @ Dec 13 2004, 12:24 AM)
Originally posted by 49erband@Dec 12 2004, 06:51 PM [b]
Originally posted by LeftyNiner@Dec 12 2004, 11:06 AM [b]