World Cup

[QUOTE=BobandEd49er;163486]Yesterdays friendly:

Germany:4 USA:1

:unhappy:[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt take to much from the loss…other than the second team for the americans aren’t as good as Germany’s first team…

and the fact that being an MLS Defensive player of the year DOES NOT translate onto international play… COUGH…Jimmy Conrad.

Our Midfield play was horrible…but I expect that to change when Donovan and Beasley return.

us 1:jam 1 (no link, but i’m sure you can find something on espn)

i though wolff played pretty bad, gave the ball away too many times, had that goal called back due to offsides. somehow, balboa still had him on the team, for his WC roster.

aside:

whatever happened to clint mathis? i mean, i know he’s playing out in salt lake, but i mean…what happened? i really liked his style of play. How can one guy turn to an almost also ran so quickly? i guess it had something to do w/ his injuries, but otherwise what?

ching didn’t help himself out, to me he’s a mcbride clone, and not a very good one at that.

let’s see, dempsey impressed me yet again, i like the kid a lot. so much so that i’d marry him. kids got moxey (sp?).

noonan didn’t impress again, but like before, balboa had high praise for him. he’s gotta be number 25/26 on the roster, right up there w/ wolff.
m
i like olsen too, but i don’t know where he can fit in w/ a crowded midfield. i think he’ll only get on the roster if there’s a run of injuries to the midfield (cross fingers, i hope not).

back four looked in disarray a couple of times, even though the US was in control for most of the match, jamaica had their chances.

enough of the stream of thought writing for tonight, just another friendly, besides, arena pretty much had 95% of his roster already together, just getting that 25th and 26th roster spots, apparently that’ll be noonan and wolff.

I wouldnt take to much from the loss.....other than the second team for the americans aren't as good as Germany's first team.......

and the fact that being an MLS Defensive player of the year DOES NOT translate onto international play… COUGH…Jimmy Conrad.

Our Midfield play was horrible…but I expect that to change when Donovan and Beasley return.

I saw the game…it still hurts but you’re right, it was mostly the second team. It was an opportunity to stick it to the home team like Italy did the week before but…

I listened to a couple of the USA players talk and they sounded confident on their chances to get out of the 1st round. I heard a Spanish broadcast call the USA’s group, translated, “The Group of Death”. The Italians are saying it is the most difficult group.

All I know is that I am looking forward to watching it. How many days now?

FIFA moves USA up to 4th in the national rankings…

ummmm…Not to sure about that one?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=365360&cc=5901

FIFA moves USA up to 4th in the national rankings.....

ummmm…Not to sure about that one?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=365360&cc=5901

Rankings, for lack of a better word and being too lazy to try and think of one, suck. Results count. I doubt any other team looks at the US as the 4th best team so hopefully the US doesn’t believe it either. I would rather them go in there with the ‘no respect’ theme that everybody seems to be using recently and try to improve on the positive results of four years ago.

But, I guess when the inevitable jokes about the US soccer team come up from friends, it’s nice to be able to say we are 4th…:dry:

So for all of you that care: Can we get a pick for winner of this years World Cup? Brazil, as usual, is the smart pick…but you never know.

Heart: US
Mind: Germany… home team always does well
Darkhorse: Portugal

As much as I hate it…I just cant pick against the Brazilians. Ronaldinho is…in my opinion…the most exciting player to watch in any sport. And Adriano is the future of Brazilian soccer…it is hard to pick against em…

With that being said…I would love to see the US advance and play Brazil in the quarters…winning that game would be the biggest event in US soccer history!

It starts in 2 days!! OMG!!! GET HYPE!!

OLE OLE OLE OLE

I can’t wait!

..With that being said....I would love to see the US advance and play Brazil in the quarters......winning that game would be the biggest event in US soccer history!

Understatement of the year. It would rank up there w/ the '80 hockey upset of the Russians if we beat Brazil. Unfortunately, the excitement/interest won’t be nearly as high.

GO USA!!!

Unfortunately, the excitement/interest won't be nearly as high.

True. But sad, isnt it?

I dont know much about our US Team as I am not into soccer that much. However, watching the World Cup is awesome.
Can anyone fill me in for players to watch on the USA Team. Who are the best players?

I can do my best to fill you in.

First, Coach Arena is known for making large changes in style, shape, and players from game to game. He is probably known to do this the most coming into the first game. He loves the element of surprise. Basically, expect something fun and new in the first match.

Our group has been called the “group of death” and rightfully so.

Italy is always going to be special and is quietly poised for a run at the cup. Are they one of the top 3 teams in the world – no. But they are close.

Ghana is known for their great success at the youth world championships (rumored with over age players) and the time might come when this success translates to the senior level.

Czech. has had a tremendous few years and would have been one of the favorites but has hit an injury bug lately and has not been in form. They are the wildcard here. If they play up to their ability, bye bye USA. I believe the winner of this game advances along with Italy (unless Ghana can finally put it all together).

Regardless, the US would be overjoyed to be playing Ghana on the 22nd in our third game and still have a shot to advance. My concern is that this team will play better than 4 years ago yet not come out doing as well in placement/advancement.

The first thing I want to see is whether Johnson is starting up top. If he is in form then Arena can keep Donovan in the midfield. This is our best lineup and we really need Donovan in the midfield to control the game. The plus in the midfield is that Reyna finally appears healthy. So, if Donovan has to go up top we can handle it (I hope).

If you take just the top 3 players from each team on our group we are dead last in talent. Top 5, the same. Top 11, then it is getting closer. The great strength of this team is our depth which allows Arena to do his magic with changes and surprises. I think the key to this cup run are our “role players.” McBride, Gooch, Donovan, etc are going to be ready. If players such as Dempsey, Convey, O’Brien, Beasley and Boca can have great tourneys, then watch out world!

Thanks alot. Sounds like we need a total team effort. I like our chances. It would be exciting as hell to seem them advance deep into the tourney. The more they advance the more I get too drink beer…ha
GO USA!

Coach, thanks for taking the time to write that excellent post.

I’ve seen talk that the Italian players (Buffon…) that were involved in the betting may not face anything until after the world cup. But even if Buffon does not play, inside sources (just sounds like I know what I’m talking about) says that there are a few Italian goalkeepers that can step in at a level comparable to him.

I think one of the main disadvantages for some teams like Italy is that their players play basically year around. I would think that would equal less stamina.

What would you say are some legitimate darkhorses that have a realistic shot at winning this thing? I have read Argentina and England are especially strong. France is aging, and Spain and Portugal are not as strong as in past years, or so the “experts” say.

Regardless, if the USA can make it out of the “group of death”, it will not be a small accomplishment.

[QUOTE=BobandEd49er;176903]Coach, thanks for taking the time to write that excellent post.

I’ve seen talk that the Italian players (Buffon…) that were involved in the betting may not face anything until after the world cup. But even if Buffon does not play, inside sources (just sounds like I know what I’m talking about) says that there are a few Italian goalkeepers that can step in at a level comparable to him.

I think one of the main disadvantages for some teams like Italy is that their players play basically year around. I would think that would equal less stamina.

What would you say are some legitimate darkhorses that have a realistic shot at winning this thing? I have read Argentina and England are especially strong. France is aging, and Spain and Portugal are not as strong as in past years, or so the “experts” say.

Regardless, if the USA can make it out of the “group of death”, it will not be a small accomplishment.[/QUOTE]

France is aging…but they are still talented…they are my darkhorse…along with the Italians (who won’t face any legal problems till after the cup).

You gotta like Germany too…home teams do well…and its not like they field a scrub team or something.

I worry about the Czechs. There is no way they sit 3 of their top 4 players. Arenas track record says we win the game…but I am not so sure. We have to at least draw. We cant go into the Italian game down 1. Hope Donovan can really set it off like he did in 02.

Who to pick … who to pick

Germany … being the home team is a massive advantage for them but something does not sit right for me. Will they advance for a while? Certainly. But there is no way they can get more advantageous officiating then 4 years ago (still bitter over lack of hand ball call and red card versus USA) and they now have the Ballack controversy. Just do not see them getting it done, but I do see why some are picking them for finals (even though I differ).

England … great talent, not good enough tactically with the need to change styles in order to take the cup. So so talented but hard to imagine them getting it done.

Argentina … some would say not a dark horse as they are a special team but what have they done lately? If not in Europe, I might take them, but too many European teams to go through to win the cup.

Netherlands … too young but fun to watch

Ivory Coast … will they win it? No way. But I do think they could mess with someone’s party. Group has 2 prohibitive favs in Arg and Neth but watch out for IC!

Mexico … did you happen to see what Bruce did to them emotionally in the last WC? They lost their minds 20 minutes in and never recovered. Talented but not enough to take the cup.

Spain and Portugal … when will one of them play up to their abilities in the WC? If I thought it would happen this time I might pick Spain … but what has changed to keep the under achieving from happening again?

So I keep coming back to England, Germany, Argentina, Italy and of course France and Brazil. No one, and I mean no one, is even close to Brazil offensively. Only France can play them straight up so that is the greatest chance for an upset in the finals. So what else could beat them besides Brazil hitting the post over and over or some ill times cards? A team that can counter while playing low-pressure! Who does this the best? Italy