"Would someone put this team in the Top 25 Please"

Immediately after the game on Classic, I turned to ESPN and they showed the highlights of our game. The guy on ESPN said that quote as they finished our highlight.

Nice win, nice offfense, bad defense. Take care of the Pirates and I guarantee a top 25 appearance.

i hope we make it into the top 25. have to agree with the bad defense.

I couldn’t believe how easily TCU dropped those threes in. I also couldn’t believe how off-to-the-left Plav’s shots were. Everyone has an off night now and then, and I’m glad he held it to 7 attempts. I liked his assists and rebounds, but he definitely didn’t have it tonight. Let’s keep those articles to a minimum and he’ll be fine :smiley:

Eddie is a stud.

Nice game EJ.

OK game Iti.

If you had been watching the Marquette game before ours started, at halftime they were talking us up too. Called us under-rated, and jump on the “bandwagon.” Said Memphis was a disaster and were staying off that “bandwagon.” Proceeded to say “How can Charlotte not be ranked?”

I agree it is a joke

I agree about our defense. It’s going to hurt us on nights where we can’t find our offense as easily as we found it tonight. TCU couldn’t miss at times but we still allowed too many open looks. Aside from that, it’s very hard to find any negatives with tonight’s performance.

EJ finally broke out and if that starts a trend for him, it’s going to make us that much better of a team. He sounded like a really down-to-earth guy in the post show interview. Gary was cracking up because EJ referred to Coach Lutz, simply as “Lutz” and said that even he couldn’t get away with calling him that. :stuck_out_tongue:

I dread the day when Eddie no longer plays for us. That guy is simply amazing and is the backbone of this team.

Curtis played with an intensity tonight (and no it wasn’t the head band) that he hasn’t played with yet this year. I really hope that’s a sign of what’s to come from him because when he’s playing like that, we’re a very dangerous team.

And can we please bring in more opposing fans to heckle Plavich in Halton?? :smiley: There is no doubt that the kid shoots better on the road, when dealing with a hostile crowd. That will be an asset in March for us.

C’mon Saturday!

not a chance we get in now maryland will get in instead of us.

[i]Originally posted by finalfourtyniners[/i]@Jan 26 2005, 10:51 PM [b] not a chance we get in now maryland will get in instead of us. [/b]
Not so fast my friend.

An angry bunch of Yellow Jackets will buzz into the Comcast Center on Sunday night, so Maryland is no cinch to break into the Top 25.

BTW, #23/#24 Iowa lost tonight. The door is open. Now we need to blow through it on Saturday!!!

If we beat ECU I think we will make the Top 25. I have never heard so much talk about us (maybe not much for some teams but a LOT for us) on ESPN lately. Vitale and his partner talked about us, the guy at halftime of the Marquette/Louisville game talked about us, etc. We also played well in a televised game. The problem once again is how we play when we are on the cusp of the Top 25. Hope for a different result this time. ECU will be tough at home

Tonight’s game was great. TCU just would not go away. Our perimeter defense was slow to react several times but they hit several big 3s. I like playing on ESPN Classic. Wish we could do that every year and maybe next time use some old school unis.

Jeff Mullins can’t stop calling us UNC Charlotte. I guess we can forgive him. I also liked the other announcer. He sounded old school. The fans looked great as well. Great game.

Iti showed up! Well it was good compared to previous games. Eddie, EJ, and Curtis played great. Go niners!

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Jan 26 2005, 10:43 PM [b] EJ finally broke out and if that starts a trend for him, it's going to make us that much better of a team. He sounded like a really down-to-earth guy in the post show interview. Gary was cracking up because EJ referred to Coach Lutz, simply as "Lutz" and said that even [i]he[/i] couldn't get away with calling him that. :P

I dread the day when Eddie no longer plays for us. That guy is simply amazing and is the backbone of this team.
[/b]

Heard that on the postgame as well about EJ and the “Lutz” comment. He said that he and Lutz were that tight, EJ was joking back and forth with them about it after the fact. Very funny.

Coach postgame, as well as both Matt/Gary at least twice during the game, indicated that the coaches had asked EJ to be MORE selfish with the ball in looking to find his shot. That he had been shooting jumpers that well in practice that they had to ask him to shoot more in games.

And I’m Eddie’s biggest pimp. I absolutely hate the NBA, but if EB makes his way onto a pro-team, I might actually have to watch some NBA ball. EB for Pres. I don’t dread what the team will be like without EB (I think we’ll be as good next season)… but there will definately seem like a void that I expect won’t be replaced for a while. Not too many players like him around these days.

Sorry Anborn, you gotta get in line on that one. Even I know I’m too big of an Eddie Basden fan, it’s kind of sad really.

But it’s okay, because the bandwagon was empty his first two years, I was getting lonely. Anyone want to remind me again of how ECU was a fluke, or how he couldn’t do something like that on a regular basis?

Wait, he’ll never have a decent outside shot right? He is only a defender, 10 points out of him is a good night, he’s not a good ball handler, he can’t penetrate well, any other gems I can remember about him I will post. I’m not usually one to say I told you so, but last year was a lot of fun busting it out and this year is even better.

Of course, I am crazy because everyone was always an Eddie fan and they are pleasantly surprised with his output this year.

Hell, Ziltz is even saying EBad isn’t a great defender and he was CUSA Defensive player of the year last year. He’ll never get the respect I think he deserves.

[i]Originally posted by 49er96[/i]@Jan 26 2005, 11:11 PM [b] Jeff Mullins can't stop calling us UNC Charlotte. [/b]
Well, it [i]was[/i] "Turn Back The Clock" night so I can let it slide. :)
[i]Originally posted by 49er96[/i]@Jan 27 2005, 12:11 AM [b] Jeff Mullins can't stop calling us UNC Charlotte. I guess we can forgive him. [/b]
how can anyone??? we watched the game when we got back. THere is the HUGE UNC[SIZE=3]C[/SIZE]harlotte sign that is right in the middle of court below the possession arrow. The chairs we sit in say the same thing. The only thing that says just Charlotte is two places on the court and our jerseys

Heck, even the pregame show Matt does opens up with the voiceover guy saying “UNC Charlotte 49ers” before dropping the “UNC” part with the next “49ers” mention. I noticed that last night and was rather surprised.

I don’t think we get in.
Villanova will instead.

[b]Hell, Ziltz is even saying EBad isn't a great defender and he was CUSA Defensive player of the year last year. He'll never get the respect I think he deserves.[/b]

What I really said (with emphasis added) was

I do think that Basden gets overlooked, though, cause he has a more complete game now than any of the other candidates. I do wish he were a better one-on-one defender though. In my opinion, Basden spends too much time standing straight up instead of in a defensive stance, and thereby allows too many players to get that first quick step on him, so he reaches around from behind. That said, there is no one in the league I would trade him for right now!

I am happy to admit that after watching the tape of last night’s game, I did not see Eddie standing straight up at inopportune times. But, IMHO, he is still NOT A LOCK-DOWN ONE-ON-ONE defender, but he is as smart a team-style defender as I have seen. To me, a lock-down defender (like Galen Young used to be here a few years ago) has the foot quickness to stay with his man through screens, and gets lots of their steals from strips one-on-one, plus blocks or alters lots of his own man’s shots. A lot of their steals tend to come from sheer athleticism and quickness.

Eddie, on the other hand, seems to me to get lots of his steals by stealing passes to his man or someone else’s, or by coming from behind (which he did at least twice last night, though only once after his man had dribbled past him) :slight_smile: . He has very quick hands, but gets most of steals with his intelligence, setting people up and then taking advantage of them. He doesn’t follow his man through screens, but tries to see where the ball is, where his man is likely to go, and try to take the quickest route there. Also gets lots of his steals playing off his man to help, but several of those open 3’s last night were because he left his man.

So, I’m not saying the CUSA defensive player of the year is not a good defensive player, just not a lock-down one-on-one defender. He picks his moments well, and there is no better guy to make whatever play you need when you really need it.

GO NINERS!!!