Would you hire...

A Head Coach that had a connection to bring in a 5 star with him his first year but had minimal coaching experience?

[quote=“Threemire09, post:1, topic:32316”]A Head Coach that had a connection to bring in a 5 star with him his first year but had minimal coaching experience?[/quote]No. But I’d give him a nice assistants job.

3 Likes

no.

Nope

clt asks if this is about Dalonte Hill?

The question makes no sense. A 5 star isn’t going to follow Jesus here at this point.

[quote=“elrodvt, post:6, topic:32316”]The question makes no sense. A 5 star isn’t going to follow Jesus here at this point.[/quote]kids do dumb things.

This scenario has played out here and other schools before.

5 star kid commits for coach, then someone gets in his ear and convinces him to change his mind after he has signed an loi.

So, name the 5 star commits associated to a head coach in a league ranked well below CUSA? Obviously no coach is going to move DOWN to CUSA.

Whatever i see some crazy names in the HC list too so no need to be realistic here i guess. It’ll give you guys a reason to fire the new AD. :wink:

https://247sports.com/college/western-kentucky/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits

Stansbury

Jesus

"“He’s a huge red flag,” one high-ranking NBA executive told ESPN. “And I’m not sure he’s even that good.”

Also look at the offer list: Mitchell Robinson - Basketball Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN
Not exactly 5 star territory other than texas A&M sometimes where Stansbury was an assistant not a head coach.

Finally WKU is an established program with a good chance at success out of the chute not a total rebuild.

This belongs in the HC thread but if you want someone who might be able to convince a 3 star or two to come with him you need to think assistants in my view as they may drop down a few conferences for a rebuilding HC job. I suppose if you throw enough money at it you might get a high level conference assistant who isn’t a reclamation project himself (aka Bruce Perl type and I hope we would not go that route!!). I haven’t kept up - Is there any idea how much they’re willing to pay?

Forbes makes 240k
Kelsey 228k

For $500,000 that should land a top 50 coach.

I think we should shoot towards the 750k mark though to be top in conference.

No.

We don’t need a 5 star recruit to be successful. We need a bench full of 3 star recruits with decent basketball IQs that physically can play ball and a coach that can get them to play as a team. I want a coach that has won with that kind of recruits.

No.

We don’t need a 5 star recruit to be successful. We need a bench full of 3 star recruits with decent basketball IQs that physically can play ball and a coach that can get them to play as a team. I want a coach that has won with that kind of recruits.[/quote]

You win with those types of recruits, you can start stealing local 4 and 5 star Charlotte kids every once in a blue moon.

We need a major overhaul in talent. A recruiting coordinator that can build a team, not just an assortment of players.

This staff we had still weren’t going to address our problem for next year.

We are set to have

G Davis
G White
G Robb
GMcGill
G Murphy
G Vasic
G Bigelow
F Garvin
F Mangum
F Supica
C Thomas
C Haslem

Post players are terrible but we go sign a guard and two wings

[quote=“Threemire09, post:18, topic:32316”]This staff we had still weren’t going to address our problem for next year.

We are set to have

G Davis
G White
G Robb
GMcGill
G Murphy
G Vasic
G Bigelow
F Garvin
F Mangum
F Supica
C Thomas
C Haslem

Post players are terrible but we go sign a guard and two wings[/quote]This is not accurate. Players will transfer and signees will ask for a release. That’s the way it goes.

Not saying this is our roster. This is the intended roster our previous staff had set. Another year of misery was coming.