Wright State Postgame

The word of the night, in my opinion, is heart.

We were down big and came back in the last seven minutes of the game. Heart heart heart heart. The guys never gave up, when it got bad they put their noses to the grindstone, locked down on D, and did everything that needed to be done to win.

Iā€™d rather not have to make late-game comebacks, but the guys proved that they can do it when it has to happen, and I am thoroughly impressed with that.

I donā€™t want to sound like ā€œaverage fanā€ but this is two quality wins in a row for what is still a depleted roster, even with KJ. Good work all around.

The crowd was a lot better than I expectedā€¦ keep in mind the vast majority of the students are at home for winter breakā€¦ I feel like we were much better as a student section than any of the winter break games Iā€™ve been to (save Ga Tech last year).

All around, it has been a great week to be a 49er.

[quote=ā€œMEGRNiner, post:16, topic:24627ā€]This was a horribly officiated game. We got calls and they got calls. They were climbing over our backs for rebounds half the night. When they finally were called on it, they looked surprised. It had to be frustrating for both teams.

Nonetheless, we outfought them at the end and WE DESERVED TO WIN!!![/quote]

This the game was called very uneven. Never could figure how they were calling it. As a player that is so frustrating and I am sure it had an impact on our bigs. Braz specifically can get psyched out of the game by the refs.

I have to mention it: Major referenced the average (joe) fan in the pregame. I was laughing as I pulled into campus, just thinking about all the eyerolling that must be going on.

Another great comeback. It looked like we wanted it more than they did down the stretch. Phil is finally playing the way some of us thought he could. He also looked to be pretty vocal on the court communicating with our other players. Sherrill looked almost like heā€™s been playing all season with the exception of some ticky tack fouls, some of which could have not been called. The season is not over yet.

I showed up only a minute or 2 before tipoff and was shocked to see a very long line of people buying tickets, and Iā€™m not talking about the Will-Call line for the 49er Club Upgrades. Much better crowd than I expected for this game.

Very impressed with that zone we played in the last 15 min or so. Didnā€™t seem like there were any weak spots in it no matter who was in there. Iā€™d love to know how many FG they got against it. Seems like most of their points came from the FT line during that time.

Braswell is definitely off. Not sure if it is a problem with the way Major is running things or if he is just frustrated because he is having a hard time getting the ball in the basket. Really hope he can get it together because he could provide us with a huge boost offensively with conference play starting up.

Had a lot of break downs in the first half and first five minutes of the second half. We are still capable of looking really bad at times, but showing a lot of progress overall. Glad to see we didnā€™t just roll over and watch the losses pile up. Would have been easy to do after the start we got off to.

Really impressed with the way we came back. Watching that game, when we were down 14, it looked like we didnt have a shot in hell. Then all of a sudden, the agressive zone threw Wright St off, they stopped looking confident, and we kept chipping away until Derrio absolutely took over. And keep in mind, in this game a 14 point lead was like 40. Seems like we are keeping scores low these days, which I think is the only way this team can win.

This group of guys would have folded before. They kept fighting, to their credit. Really good game by Derrio at the end and him and JB were stars of the game. Phil was good as well. Briscoe hit a big 4 pt play in the 2nd half.

Anjuan and Bras really need to pick it up. We should have abused this team down low, as we had a clear advantage there, but honestly it didnā€™t materialize like it should have.

For the first 35 mins I was kicking myself for comingā€¦but the last 5 minutes more than made up for it. Happy for the guys and coach, great job!

How many points did we score in the paint? We did nothing the first half. The second half we got fouled for the most part. Our guards were not feeding the post players when they had position. it would be really frustrating for a post player to work so hard to get position and not get the ball.

We won so who caresā€¦ but we MUST establish an inside game from the start of the game. Even if only to get the other team into foul trouble.

The first half was one of the worst as far as dumb ass turnovers. Hopefully the players were just thinking about Christmas. Iā€™m still waiting to see 2 complete halves of good basketball.

I agree that JB and Sirin has improved very much. Braswell needs to stay calm when he gets the ball. Sometimes I think his anger/frustration is hurting his game. He looks like heā€™s about to hit a player at any moment. He needs to slow down sometimes and stop all that dribbling and go up strong or pass it back out.

Major gets 2 thumbs up for hire attire. Hope he mailed his Tenn wardrobe to ezu.

He mentioned it in the post game tooā€¦ a couple times.

just being nit picky but only converted 3 point play i believe. dont think he made the ft. i could be wrong.

just being nit picky but only converted 3 point play i believe. dont think he made the ft. i could be wrong.[/quote]He did not.

I loved Majorā€™s display of emotions after Derrio hit the three at end. He was going nuts.

just being nit picky but only converted 3 point play i believe. dont think he made the ft. i could be wrong.[/quote]

Eh, my bad, still a big play. 3 with the foul.

Free admission to anyone under 17 yrs oldā€¦but you had to get an actual ticket.

Thus the long line.

My name is not Joe.

Some good comments by Donlon postgame about our length bothering their shooters. Called zone D change the difference and gave Major props for recognizing it. Said our coaches adjustments were the difference and that you could sense that out guys were going to will themselves to the win.

Is Donlonā€™s postgame online?

Charlotte 49ers Mens Basketball Postgame vs. Wright State

Charlotte 49ers Mens Basketball Highlights vs. Wright State

We donā€™t win this game last year. Derrio channeled his ā€œFordhamā€ mojo for this one. We have to do a better job getting the ball inside, no excuses.

whatever the result, the fans brought the team back. being a game during winter break it got LOUD in there.
I love major for reconizing the fans for supporting our niners.

We did really well second half, i forget what happened first half :slight_smile: