WSOC TV vs TWC

You guys here this? Apparently if you have TWC, in a couple days you wont be getting WSOC. Didnt TWC have a beef with Comedy Central a while back?

And correct me if im wrong, but cant you get the local channels free anyways?

That’s cool. I do have TWC and don’t watch WSOC. I hope this negatively effects TWC. They make me sick. I won’t be paying TWC a dime when I get my own place.

Apparently WSOC is trying to charge TWC more than 5 times the going rate to make up for lost revenues from advertising. TWC ran a full page ad in the Disturber yesterday talking about this. They said that they shouldn’t have top pay that much considering that you can get the channels free using rabbit ears.

Apparently WSOC is trying to charge TWC more than 5 times the going rate to make up for lost revenues from advertising. TWC ran a full page ad in the Disturber yesterday talking about this. They said that they shouldn't have top pay that much considering that you can get the channels free using rabbit ears.
Hah. That's funny. They're not even worth the money they get now. Honestly, what's the point of these local news channels anymore? "Hey here's part of a story. Stay tuned to see the rest. Btw, we totally could have finished telling you this story in the time it took to tell you to stay tuned."

“Oh, did we tell you we’d show you the rest of that story coming up next? Well screw that. We’re going to make you wait a little longer. Here are some more stories about murders and crime in the area, which in case you didn’t know, isn’t actually news.” Gimme a break.

Hah. That's funny. They're not even worth the money they get now. Honestly, what's the point of these local news channels anymore? "Hey here's part of a story. Stay tuned to see the rest. Btw, we totally could have finished telling you this story in the time it took to tell you to stay tuned."

“Oh, did we tell you we’d show you the rest of that story coming up next? Well screw that. We’re going to make you wait a little longer. Here are some more stories about murders and crime in the area, which in case you didn’t know, isn’t actually news.” Gimme a break.

It has more to do with them being a local affiliate for shows like Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc… these shows pull in huge ratings.

It has more to do with them being a local affiliate for shows like Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc... these shows pull in huge ratings.
Shoot. It's not like the main network couldn't handle that.
Shoot. It's not like the main network couldn't handle that.

I’m assuming you’re saying we should just get rid of local channels and just have CBS/ABC/NBC, etc network channels.

I'm assuming you're saying we should just get rid of local channels and just have CBS/ABC/NBC, etc network channels.
Eh. Local affiliates serve a purpose, but they can't go around demanding money. I think they are easily expendable.

If we lose WSOC, would we lose all of the ABC shows as well?

Eh. Local affiliates serve a purpose, but they can't go around demanding money. I think they are easily expendable.

Just keep in mind, we don’t know the full story.

Just keep in mind, we don't know the full story.

True, this is happening all round the country though. Network tv is making waves.

True, this is happening all round the country though. Network tv is making waves.

WSOC is a medium sized local station, while Time Warner Cable is a multi-million dollar corporation which operates as a monopoly in the industry. It’s hard for me not to side with the little guy, or really anyone going up against TWC.

Get Dish Network. You get MASN and CBS College sports for those Niner games. NFL Network too.

WSOC is a medium sized local station, while Time Warner Cable is a multi-million dollar corporation which operates as a monopoly in the industry. It's hard for me not to side with the little guy, or really anyone going up against TWC.

Thanks for clarifying, we didnt know what your stance was already…

Good point. Which kind of brings up another question, why do they also charge for their programming when they offer it for free over air?

[QUOTE=49or bust;396884]Eh. Local affiliates serve a purpose, but they can’t go around demanding money. I think they are easily expendable.[/QUOTE]

In 10 years the major networks will basically be super cable networks and no longer affiliated with local stations.

Thanks for clarifying, we didnt know what your stance was already...

Is there a reason you decided to respond like a smart ass?

WSOC is a medium sized local station, while Time Warner Cable is a multi-million dollar corporation which operates as a monopoly in the industry. It's hard for me not to side with the little guy, or really anyone going up against TWC.
I loathe TWC, so I would also side with the other guy in most cases. However, I'm sure whatever excess money TWC did pay to a local station would then be passed on to the people who have to pay for TWC, so the only people who suffer are the TWC customers. So I'd rather the local station not get more money that it doesn't deserve than TWC not getting its way yet again.
I loathe TWC, so I would also side with the other guy in most cases. However, I'm sure whatever excess money TWC did pay to a local station would then be passed on to the people who have to pay for TWC, so the only people who suffer are the TWC customers. So I'd rather the local station not get more money that it doesn't deserve than TWC not getting its way yet again.

I’ll agree with you on that point. Unless we have the numbers in front of us, its difficult to tell who is stretching the truth.

Is there a reason you decided to respond like a smart ass?

No seriously, thank you for clarifying…