WTF? Losing a recruit to... High Point!

I don’t know how hard the coaches were recruiting this big guy, but losing a “local” 6-9 player to High Point Univeristy stings. Barty Lundy (formerly of Queens) is doing one heck of a job recruiting players here.

HPU snares prized recruit
By Tom Berry, Staff Sports Writer, High Point Enterprise
07/08/2004

If Monquel Pegues follows through with his verbal commitment to play basketball at High Point University, he probably would become the most highly rated player in school history.

Pegues, a 6-foot-9 rising senior at Wilson Fike, set the stage for that to happen by deciding on the Panthers over the weekend.

Pegues is ranked No. 139 nationally by Hoop Alliance and reportedly in the top 100 by two other recruiting services.

“(HPU) pulled a sizable recruiting coup,” said Dave Telep of TheInsidersHoops.com. “(Pegues) is a guy with size whom we rated as the highest level mid-major player.”

The 235-pound Pegues said he picked High Point over approximately 20 scholarship offers from NCAA Division I schools, including Penn State, Charlotte, Western Kentucky, Marshall, VCU, UNC-Wilmington, Old Dominion, Appalachian State, UNC Greensboro and N.C. A&T.

“High Point’s coaches were the ones that stayed on me and showed that they really wanted me,” said Pegues, who averaged 17.5 points and almost 13 rebounds per game last season. “I’m working with weights harder and trying to stay in shape so I can get up and down the court and do my thing in the paint.”

Pegues cannot sign until November and will be a college freshman for the 2005-06 season.

He will join Melvin Crowder, a 6-4 swingman who led Charlotte Vance to the 2003 state 4A title as a junior and will spend one more postgraduate season at Prince Avenel Prep in Pickens, S.C.

Crowder committed to HPU approximately three weeks ago. He averaged 15 points and eight rebounds at Prince Avenel last season and picked High Point over a list that included Winthrop and Coastal Carolina.

“High Point will be a good situation for me,” said Crowder. "There’s a lot of good players in the program and a lot coming into the program. They fit my style of play, which is getting up and down the floor.

Crowder has lofty goals for college.

“By my sophomore year, I plan to be the most versatile player on the team,” said the 200-pounder. “There won’t be many guys like me who will be able to post up and also go outside for the shot.”

High Point also is pursuing 6-4 T.J. Gwynn, a rising senior who has helped Burlington Cummings win two state 2A championships in the last three seasons. Gwynn, MVP in the 2004 state tournament, also is considering offers from VCU and UNC-Wilmington, among others, with Wake Forest and Miami showing interest.

Hoop Alliance rates Gwynn as the 148th best rising prep senior in the country. Gwynn and Pegues are teammates on the North Carolina Gaters AAU team along with two rising seniors who have committed to Wake Forest - Greensboro Dudley’s Kevin Swinton and Black Mountain Owen’s David Weaver.

High Point has a good start towards its third straight impressive recruiting class. Last year’s newcomers helped first-year head coach Bart Lundy go 19-11 overall after a 7-20 record the previous season.

The Panthers will have seven newcomers for the 2004-05 season, led by junior-college All-Americans Akeem Scott at point guard and 6-5 swingman Mark Wilson.

High Point also returns its three double-figure scorers from last season - Big South player of the year Danny Gathings (15.8 ppg), wing guard Zione White (13.7) and center Jerry Echenique (11.4).

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 05:59 AM [b]

If Monquel Pegues follows through with his verbal commitment to play basketball at High Point University, he probably would become the most highly rated player in school history.

Pegues cannot sign until November and will be a college freshman for the 2005-06 season.

[/b]

I would bet that by November he actually signs somewhere else.

Didn’t we recently steal a recruit from High Point. I think I remember our coaching staff making a big deal about stealing a recruit fom High Point. Now I understand why. We owed them.

Will be real glad when we don’t have to “steal” recruits from High Point.

Who knows what would have happened if he went to a D1 school for 4 years. But it looks like he spent 2 years at Cape Fear CC, then 1 season at New Mexico. At NM he averaged 2 ppg and 2 rpg, while playing 11 mpg.

I think there are two of these guys, the rising senior and the one who played 3 years of college, most recent 2008.