Xavier post game discussion

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;380792]No. Weā€™re just stating fact. It makes no difference if we win or lose, or if the tarholes win or loseā€¦ they still get page one and we get the back pagesā€¦ regardless of who is ranked. But you knew that. Quit being an asshole (or a dumbass, whichever one it is).

And weā€™re not the ones who brought up this subject.[/QUOTE]

Have you made it your personal goal to complain about the Observer in every post? I hate our coverage but If we upset a ranked #10 Xavier it would make the front page of the Observer.

[QUOTE=switchfoot;380808]Have you made it your personal goal to complain about the Observer in every post? I hate our coverage but If we upset a ranked #10 Xavier it would make the front page of the Observer.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I think I have to agree with this.

That said, they can bury our story for all I care. Halfway through the second half, I just about exclusively shifted my focus to the Wake/Duke game.

You are missing Braswell aswell.

He will start next year. Maybe not right away but he will. A top 75 recruit doesnā€™t come here to sit on the bench. The 3 front court positions will be filled by Jones,Spears, Braswell and Sherill. KJ Sherill will also play a little 3 even though we will have Wilderness and Dewy there. Gabby will not play next year cause he is no good.

There is no way Sherill redshirts next year. This year shows your how injuries can kill your season. I know we all say next year but I actually think next years class (Braswell, Sherill, Bowden, Spears) will be the best one we have had for 6+ years

On the postgame, Lutz said they heard Sean Miller on his radio show say they only have one guy who can score, Lamont Mack. That about sums it up. Mack scored 7 of 13 total pts scored in the first half. Jones was 0-7 in the first 10 minutes of the first half. No one can say we didnā€™t get the ball inside.

Iā€™m afraid it comes back to the players and current talent level, which comes back to talent evaluation and recruiting. We missed on a number of shooters (and one is on the bench) over the last couple of years and our big men canā€™t score.

[QUOTE=Basden05;380815]You are missing Braswell aswell.

He will start next year. Maybe not right away but he will. A top 75 recruit doesnā€™t come here to sit on the bench. The 3 front court positions will be filled by Jones,Spears, Braswell and Sherill. KJ Sherill will also play a little 3 even though we will have Wilderness and Dewy there. Gabby will not play next year cause he is no good.

There is no way Sherill redshirts next year. This year shows your how injuries can kill your season. I know we all say next year but I actually think next years class (Braswell, Sherill, Bowden, Spears) will be the best one we have had for 6+ years[/QUOTE]

Didnā€™t forget him. Itā€™s a given he will get lots of PT immediately, and hopefully live up to his hype.

This team cant shoot or rebound. It really is that simple.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;380820]This team cant shoot or rebound. It really is that simple.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. I was flipping through the channels and came across MASN. Saw the score was something like 39-19 in the second half and kept on flipping. It doesnā€™t even hurt anymore.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;380816]Iā€™m afraid it comes back to the players and current talent level, which comes back to talent evaluation and recruiting. We missed on a number of shooters (and one is on the bench) over the last couple of years and our big men canā€™t score.[/QUOTE]

Yep. That is the college game unless you run a specific slow down system. I watched the Duke/ Wake game last night and Dino Guido was far from stellar last night or in our game last year at TWC in his coaching abilities but he flat out recruited and signed some big time athletes/players. Wake is loaded with talentā€¦ just roll the ball out.

I have not heard the ā€œlutz is a great recruiterā€ rant in a while which is one that I have never understood.

My question is what are we going to do about it? Basketball is getting about as much money as it is ever going to get unless we pick up quite a bit more fans because I am going to have to choose and probably slice my donations up between football and basketball tickets and I can see many more doing the same.

[QUOTE=TheShowDawg;380843]Yep. That is the college game unless you run a specific slow down system. I watched the Duke/ Wake game last night and Dino Guido was far from stellar last night or in our game last year at TWC in his coaching abilities but he flat out recruited and signed some big time athletes/players. Wake is loaded with talentā€¦ just roll the ball out.[/QUOTE]

I watched that game last night instead of most of ours. Wake was a mess down the stretch, poor coaching and execution, but they held Duke off just enough because guys like Aminu, Teague & Johnson are superior players. All3 are amazing athletes and can create shots for themselves and make plays. Still Duke tied the game. Wakeā€™s coach should have called timeouts twice when he didnt and Wake turned it over. He made one good call down the stretch - the final inbounds play (which anyone who watched the game could see coming). Otherwise, Wake would have mismanaged the 2nd half right into a loss. The playersā€™ abilities hid all the mistakes until that last, finally solid call.

[QUOTE=VA49er;380828]Seriously. I was flipping through the channels and came across MASN. Saw the score was something like 39-19 in the second half and kept on flipping. It doesnā€™t even hurt anymore.[/QUOTE]

This is where we are headed. In fact, most of us are there. I used to be so angry after a loss. Now, is doesnā€™t really matter.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;380816]Jones was 0-7 in the first 10 minutes of the first half. No one can say we didnā€™t get the ball inside.
[/QUOTE]

I guess I care enough to make another postā€¦Phil was rushing his shot. Somebody should teach him to slow down a little when he gets the ball in the post. AND, how about a pump fake or two, drop step, shouldnā€™t someone teach him he has more than one option?

With the negativity surrounding this yearā€™s 49er squad, how has your home attendance been?

Iā€™ll be at the game at Halton with local XU alums. If we roll in as top 10 will it be a good crowd because we are ranked high or has the apathy set in to the point that our alumni group will rival the student section in attendance?

I really like going to road games with a good atmosphere and am hoping for a good crowd. What do you guys think?

[QUOTE=powerofX;380857]With the negativity surrounding this yearā€™s 49er squad, how has your home attendance been?

Iā€™ll be at the game at Halton with local XU alums. If we roll in as top 10 will it be a good crowd because we are ranked high or has the apathy set in to the point that our alumni group will rival the student section in attendance?

I really like going to road games with a good atmosphere and am hoping for a good crowd. What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

Our last 4 announced crowd for home games have been between 4900-5700 people. Realistic butts in seats for those games have been in the 3000-3500 range.

When you guys came to town our 1st year in the A-10, you had a great crowd. If you bring a crowd like that again, you will be the loudest people in the arena.

Does Sean have any recruiting rejects to send our way?

good atmosphere? good crowd for a road game? 'fraid not this year at Halton

Our last 4 announced crowd for home games have been between 4900-5700 people. Realistic butts in seats for those games have been in the 3000-3500 range.

When you guys came to town our 1st year in the A-10, you had a great crowd. If you bring a crowd like that again, you will be the loudest people in the arena.

Does Sean have any recruiting rejects to send our way?

good atmosphere? good crowd for a road game? 'fraid not this year at Halton

That is too bad. When you guys have a full or near full house its quite the home court! There will be a decent X crowd there but since its a weekday game we wonā€™t have as many that would have been there if fans could have turned it into a long weekend in the sun (ie no 8 inches of snow + 2 inches of ice).

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;380860]Does Sean have any recruiting rejects to send our way?[/QUOTE]
FWIW, that reminds that one-time X target Duke Crews ā€“ who later considered the Niners after being dismissed by Tennessee ā€“ was in Charlotte recently when Bowie State played J.C. Smith on 1/15. BSU won that game 83-74, with Crews getting 25 points and 12 rebounds. In the re-match this past Sunday, Smith won 65-63, as Crews topped his output of the earlier game with 26 points and 14 rebounds.

The stats in todays paper show our problem. Even with this seriously depleted and hurting team, we had more shots than Xavier, while being greatly outrebounded. But we hit but 30% of them. We had almost as many freee throws but only hit 50% of them. Our players have got to start playing smarter and taking higher percentage shots.

Have you made it your personal goal to complain about the Observer in every post? I hate our coverage but If we upset a ranked #10 Xavier it would make the front page of the Observer.
I'm not the one that brought it up.... and I had no intention on bringing it up.... but when someone else brings it up, I tell it like it is.

And why single me out? Iā€™m not the only one who responded.

Are you saying that Mike is now our hero? Yours maybeā€¦ but he has done this school more damage than any one bad basketball player. Ask him why he was so opposed to us joining CUSA.

Now, like I saidā€¦ Iā€™m not the one that brought it upā€¦ and it has no business in this thread.

The stats in todays paper show our problem. Even with this seriously depleted and hurting team, we had more shots than Xavier, while being greatly outrebounded. But we hit but 30% of them. We had almost as many freee throws but only hit 50% of them. Our players have got to start playing smarter and taking higher percentage shots.
Agreed. And it's pretty obvious.
We are the worst rebounding team I've ever seen. Can somebody tell me who we have coming in next year, that will make us a good rebounding team?
Winthrop is actually worse, they average 36.4 rebounds a game, we average 38.7. I do not expect us to be a great rebounding team, but I do think that we will be better. Spears averaged over 6 rebounds a game. I expect him to get 7+ in the A-10. Sherril and Braswell are good rebounders, I don't know how much time they'll see (some recruiting sites were saying Braswell should start) but that will keep us from being vulnerable at rebounding when we've got our bench on the floor. Phil HAS to improve his rebounding though, that is critical.
We are a 3-ball shooting team that can't shoot. Somebody explain to me how that will change next year.
"Bowden has a deadly jumper with great range. He easily connects from well beyond three-point range on his jump shot." - ESPN. With that being said that gives us only 1 true 3 point shooter. Ian will have to become more consistent if he is to become a true perimeter threat. I still worry that Bobby will base his game off the 3 and have our Forwards launching 3s instead of posting up or running a pick and roll or other simple plays.
I've been told that Sherrill and Spears will address this. However, several years ago, I was told Mack, Coley and numerous other people would do the same thing.
Spears has already proven himself at Boston College. I do not expect him to be a great player, but I do expect him to be better than anyone currently on the floor. Mack and Coley were rated as 45s from ESPN. Bowden was a 75 and from what I have seen is pretty legit. Sherril was an 89 and Braswell a 94. You are right, many times recruits don't live up to their hype, but unless Sherril and Braswell seriously underachieve I still see them as also being significantly better than anyone we have on the court right now. Plus we have them for four years.
You are right, many times recruits don't live up to their hype, but unless Sherril and Braswell seriously underachieve I still see them as also being significantly better than anyone we have on the court right now. Plus we have them for four years.

Itā€™s not going to do better than this year.