You know you're a Niner fan when....

Fans do crazy, stupid, obsessive things for the love of their teams. What are some of the wierd things anybody here has done over the years.

I posted this on another thread but I am curious if this is truly sick or just being a fan.

I owe my wife big time for last night. I got out of a meeting at 8:30 last night and had an hour ride home. My wife logged onto Ninernation.net and started the yahoo broadcast. She put her cell phone inside a pair of headphones plugged into the computer so I could listen to the first half on my headset on the way home. She would check in every once in a while to see how we were doing.

To top it off, she taped Lost for me. I’m a lucky man.

Next time just call WFNZ and ask to be put on hold. You can hear the broadcast there.

In '01, me, 3ball, and our wives (then girlfriends) left Charlotte at midnight and drove the 7.5 hours to Dayton for the NCAA tourney games.

I was right there with you smoothieking. My buddies and I, and our wives (girlfriends at the time), oh hold on, I was married then, wow. Anyway, we drove 8 hours to Dayton and got there around 10. Girls went to bed and we played golden tee for 20.00 a game while watching the first round games, then we got hammered rest of the night in the hospitality room. It was freaking great.

I’ve got a million, but here’s a good one:
In November 1974, my then-girlfriend and I drove 15 straight hours to Springfield, Mass. to watch the Cornbread-led NINERS win the Hall of Fame Classic. It was a tourney then. We beat UMASS in the first game and then Centenary with Robert Parrish for the title. What sweet NINER b-ball memories that was. The sex was pretty good that weekend too. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

and to add to that story, the next night after we beat Tenn a couple of 60 year old 49er club members took our wives out while we hit the local strip club, got our freaking van stuck in some mud, had to get out and push…then had to explain how we got mud all over our shoes, what a night that was. Cant wait for this March indeed.

The 2001-2002 season, home game against Cincinnati and it was a 9:00 tip I believe.

I was applying to grad schools and my Ohio State interview was set up for the same day, I had no choice. I left my interview early citing flu-like symptoms and hit the road from Columbus to Charlotte at 1:30 in the afternoon. Just enough time to get to Halton, except that there was a huge snow storm in the mountains. As I was driving down I-77 in the WV mountains there was a near white-out, cars stuck in the median, and I kept the gas down and kept going at 65 mph while dodging police cars and stranded motorists for three hours. It was the dumbest thing I’ve ever done but somehow managed to get to the game and only missed the first 5 minutes. Unfortunately, we lost to the Bearcats that night. But somehow, Ohio State accepted me. Go figure.

I haven’t really done anything crazy as a Charlotte fan…

I drove Tom Whitestone to a Niner women’s game at Va Tech in a snowstorm …

When I was a sophomore I quit my job to take 500$ in scholarship and manage for one year, I ended up broke from the experience, but I learned many things and had a blast being on the bench for some of the biggest games (inc. Cincy) unfortunately we were 13-16 and at times I had to tape the games from way beyond the nosebleeds, but other than that and laundry it was a fun year as a Niner Fan.

When we won the Sun Belt Tournament, the campus went wild and started a bonfire on the field in front of Sanford and Moore.

I can’t take credit for this but somebody made a huge ram’s head to signify VCU and mounted it on a dorm couch. They carried it out on their shoulders in a procession like a gigantic sacrificial lamb and burned it in effigy on the fire.

Things realy got wild and the TV crews had to retreat to the roofs of their trucks before Barney Fife and the rest of the campus police broke it up. It was one of my best nights as a UNCC student (yes it was UNCC at the time).

We still are UNCC.

This is fun and all, but I think it would be more fun to play You know you’re a UAB fan when…

I’ll get us started… You know you’re a UAB fan if your house still has the WIDE LOAD sign on the back.

clt once walked from campus edge in 55 degree weather while carrying a beer. clt often stopped and paused on what he was doing and how crazy it was but then traveled on thru the night. once clt could see the clock on halton, he knew his journey was over and he needed to get another beer out of his pocket to drink.

I flew down from Michigan to Charlotte and drove over to Greenville by myself to watch us get hammered by ND. My Dad and sister couldn’t make the trip with me but I met some of the Niner Nation in a pre game tailgate in the parking lot near the arena. I’ve made it to the last 3 NCAA tourneys we have been in and counting on this year to be another !!

You know you’re a UAB fan when you have two cousins who are uncles, a horse fathered your little brother, and half of the other fans at Barton arena are all related to you.

Left campus at midnight to drive to Tampa for a 9ers game at USF… got there early in the morning, hung out on the beach all day - had a beer or twleve, watched the game later that afternoon, and drove back afterwards… sleep was way overrated while in college! It was a couple of us guys and one chick - we had a blast heckling all the USF fans… Had the hots for that chick… that is until she slept with my roommate on the night of my 21st b-day… I’ll never forget that – my roomie didn’t even remember to take his toothbrush… The chick is long gone but the roomie and I are still good buddies, so there was a happy ending… ahhh, such memories.

Also drove to BF Alabama somewhere to see the Niners in action against South Alabama… lawd, that was a dumb idea!

Both trips were victories… so nothing wasted.

In 1992, a group of us left at 10:00 PM to Louisville for the Metro Conference Championship. We drove in snow the whole time while in the NC and Tenn mountains. Stopped at a Waffle House around 1:00 AM for some grub and about 5 cups of coffee. Stopped at a gas station about an hour later to relieve the 5 cups of coffee. Since there was about 8 of us, the stalls were full. So I went behind the gas station to go to the bathroom. About halway through I had a spotlight shine on me while I was still peeing. Had a stereotypical small town cop give me a “urinating in public” citation. Had to higher a lawyer to go to court for me about a month later to get the charges off of my record.

The good news, from the third row I got to see Henry Williams seal the championship at the free throw line.

Barry, PI, and myself buying $10 radios from Walgreens to listen to at Picassos Univeristy cause we didn’t know the game was not on satellite anywhere.

Yale game, Picassos manager let Pi, Yinzer and myself chat on ninernation from his laptop. I finally had to let the dam open, I come back to see those two left inappropiate stuff in the shout box. I am now banned from the shout box.

[i]Originally posted by Normmm[/i]@Jan 14 2005, 12:11 AM [b] In 1992, a group of us left at 10:00 PM to Louisville for the Metro Conference Championship. We drove in snow the whole time while in the NC and Tenn mountains. Stopped at a Waffle House around 1:00 AM for some grub and about 5 cups of coffee. Stopped at a gas station about an hour later to relieve the 5 cups of coffee. Since there was about 8 of us, the stalls were full. So I went behind the gas station to go to the bathroom. About halway through I had a spotlight shine on me while I was still peeing. Had a stereotypical small town cop give me a "urinating in public" citation. Had to higher a lawyer to go to court for me about a month later to get the charges off of my record. [/b]
Did you get to sit next to the meanest, ugliest, father raper of them all and play with the pencils on the Group "W" Bench? :P