YOUR best Niner team

I know we have done top Niner teams and top players, but I was thinking during the Davidson game where Leemire ranks on MY team. In otherwords if I had to build a team of Niners where would he be? I don’t mean this would be the best team, but it would be MY team. I know I am leaving off some big name Niners (Rod White, Cornbread, Demon) and some other favorites (Marlon Thomas, Shanderic Downs) and my rotation might be different than some of ya’ll’s, but these are my choices.

Starers:
PG - Sean Colson
SG - Diego
SF - Jobey
PF - Jarvis
C - Cam Stephens

Bench:
Henry - Instant Offense and 6th man
Kelvin Price
Kenkay Jones
Galen
Demarco
Dinkins
Leemire

Coach:
HC - Lutz
Ast - Melvin

There is no way Leemire would make my team over someone like Demon.

You are starting Cam Stephens? And you completely left off Curtis Withers and Eddie Basden? And what about half of the 77 team? Maybe this would be easier with 1st, 2nd, 3rd Teams and honorable mention - the bench can only hold so many.

Starers:
PG - Sean Colson
SG - Diego
SF - Jobey
PF - Jarvis
C - Cam Stephens

Bench:
Kelvin Price
Kenkay Jones
Galen
Demarco
Dinkins
Leemire

Coach:
HC - Lutz
Ast - Melvin[/quote]

I always confine mine to who I’ve actually seen play.

PG - Colson
SG - Jobey
SF - Eddie
PF - Demarco
C - Heyward (just on potential alone, the kid was amazing to watch play, even if it was only a few games)

Bench

• Demon
  • Rodney
  • Cam Stephens
  • Galen
  • Zimmerman
  • Diego
  • Curtis
I know we have done top Niner teams and top players, but I was thinking during the Davidson game where Leemire ranks on MY team. In otherwords if I had to build a team of Niners where would he be? I don't mean this would be the best team, but it would be MY team. I know I am leaving off some big name Niners (Rod White, Cornbread, Demon) and some other favorites (Marlon Thomas, Shanderic Downs) and my rotation might be different than some of ya'll's, but these are my choices.

Starers:
PG - Sean Colson
SG - Diego
SF - Jobey
PF - Jarvis
C - Cam Stephens

Bench:
Kelvin Price
Kenkay Jones
Galen
Demarco
Dinkins
Leemire

Coach:
HC - Lutz
Ast - Melvin

Cornbread? Anyone?

I’m just going to do a starting 5, bc with this starting 5, that’s all you need.

Carlos Williams
Chris Sager
Butter Johnson
Tyler Best
Martin Iti

[QUOTE=Jamie Green Fan;275604]You are starting Cam Stephens? And you completely left off Curtis Withers and Eddie Basden? And what about half of the 77 team? Maybe this would be easier with 1st, 2nd, 3rd Teams and honorable mention - the bench can only hold so many.

Starers:
PG - Sean Colson
SG - Diego
SF - Jobey
PF - Jarvis
C - Cam Stephens

Bench:
Kelvin Price
Kenkay Jones
Galen
Demarco
Dinkins
Leemire

Coach:
HC - Lutz
Ast - Melvin[/quote][/QUOTE]

Yeah I was trying to decide between Eddie and Galen - went with Galen. I also was looking for some role players, I think Kenkay and Leemire would accept their roles better than Demon and Curtis. Trying to build a team means having some role players. I did leave off the 77 team, because I am going by what I consider MY team. I never saw any of them play, just know the stories.

Leemire is a nice player, but does not make the cut even on a 3rd team- All Niner team as of yet. If he kills it this year and can take us to an A10 championship and advance to the round of 32, he would cement himself as one of the better gaurds to play here.

I can think of alot of clutch Niner guards better than Leemire thus far.
Melvin, Henry, Colson, Diego, Demon, Jobey, Dink

to be continued…

Henry Williams should be on EVERY all-Niners FIRST team PERIOD!!!

What? No James Terrell or Delano Johnson on these lists??? Be ashamed.

[QUOTE=franchise49er;275618]What? No James Terrell or Delano Johnson on these lists??? Be ashamed.[/QUOTE]

I really wanted to add Trigger - but only had so much room

[QUOTE=919R;275616]Henry Williams should be on EVERY all-Niners FIRST team PERIOD!!![/QUOTE]
QFT

Massey and Kinch could shoot and bang the boards with the best of them and Cornbread was always money, especially in the big games. Would have loved to see those two play with a 3-pt line.

Leemire… a nice player that I love to watch, but would be lucky to sniff the bench on a 49er all-star team.

[QUOTE=Submarley734;275608]Cornbread? Anyone?

I’m just going to do a starting 5, bc with this starting 5, that’s all you need.

Carlos Williams
Chris Sager
Butter Johnson
Tyler Best
Martin Iti[/QUOTE]

I could make a strong case for neely, whitehead or helliwell as well.

From my freshman year, there were two 2gs that are better than Lee. That doesn’t mean Lee isn’t great, or that I don’t appreciate his accomplishments, but having seen Jobey and Demon in person and what they bring to the game, I can’t say I would put Lee on there ahead of either of them. And they are certainly not the best two 2gs we’ve ever had. Therefore, putting him on the roster would mean we are mostly 2Gs and that is crazy.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;275652]From my freshman year, there were two 2gs that are better than Lee. That doesn’t mean Lee isn’t great, or that I don’t appreciate his accomplishments, but having seen Jobey and Demon in person and what they bring to the game, I can’t say I would put Lee on there ahead of either of them. And they are certainly not the best two 2gs we’ve ever had. Therefore, putting him on the roster would mean we are mostly 2Gs and that is crazy.[/QUOTE]

I selected Lee because I needed someone off the bench and given Demon’s sulking when he wasn’t starting I thought Lee would be a better choice. I would not put Lee at the top of Niner all time greats - atleast not yet, but I needed some players that could fill roles.

Simply, the '77 team. By the way, did ya hear? They made it to the Final Four by beating the No. 1 team in the Regional Finals. Thanks for this opportunity to remind our newbies of this.

pg - Sean Colson
sg - Jobey Thomas
sf - Eddie Basden
pf - Rodney White
c - Cam Stephens

bench:
g - Diego Guevarra
g - Demon Brown
g - Henry Williams
f - Curtis Withers
f - Demarco Johnson
f - Galen Young
c - Kelvin Price
c - THE GOONJ!!

This team would beat anyone, anywhere, any time :shades:

I could make a strong case for neely, whitehead or helliwell as well.

Now I will agree with you if we can both agree that with that starting line-up, those three are bench players.

[QUOTE=919R;275616]Henry Williams should be on EVERY all-Niners FIRST team PERIOD!!![/QUOTE]

Good grief yes. Seriously, he’s our all-time scoring leader, and probably the best player that’s ever suited up for us. I know Diego was well loved, but Henry was sooooo much better than him, and pretty much everyone else on that list.

Anyone who has Henry on the bench is insane…

I hope I spelled them all correct.

1. Ray Gromlowicz
  2. Rusty Hargraves
  3. Scott Wissel
  4. Melvin Johnson
  5. Leroy Smith (whom I think made his HS team over Michael Jordan)

Coach - Mike Pratt