Your Observer questions answered ...

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;149729]Thanks for the link. Silly me, this puts to rest an assumption that I was starting to think. Given the coverage in the Charlotte Observer, I was actually wondering if Coach Lutz did not talk with the press or let his players speak to the press.

I guess this story puts that to rest…I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DEPEND ON THE CINCINNATI POST TO PROVIDE CHARLOTTE 49ERS STORIES LIKE THIS. The 49ers deserve a story like this in the Observer (I could care less who wrote it).

I know I’ll be told I’m wrong…but the bottom line is, the Charlotte 49ers mens basketball deserves as much space as the Charlotte Bobcats.[/QUOTE]
In order to receive a response please rephrase your last sentence in the form of a question.

[QUOTE=HP49er;149765]In order to receive a response please rephrase your last sentence in the form of a question.[/QUOTE]

I’ll save you the trouble. The Bobcats play 82 games, the Niners play 27. There’s no way the ink will be comparable. And if you want to compare interest, they sell more than twice the tickets at much higher prices.

I'll save you the trouble. The Bobcats play 82 games, the Niners play 27. There's no way the ink will be comparable. And if you want to compare interest, they sell more than twice the tickets at much higher prices.

That means equal per-game coverage would give the Bobcats 3x the ink. Do we receive equal per-game coverage?

[QUOTE=survivor45;149771]That means equal per-game coverage would give the Bobcats 3x the ink. Do we receive equal per-game coverage?[/QUOTE]

Game stories are roughly 16 inches on both the Bobcats and the Niners. We do Observations on both. Columnists more often do Bobcats. There’s more news concerning the Bobcats because of injuries, etc., because of the higher number of games.

[QUOTE=HP49er;149765]In order to receive a response please rephrase your last sentence in the form of a question.[/QUOTE]

let’s try these 3 questions since mike is beating around the bush again.

1. why is the observer the ONLY paper in the world that refuses to do pre-game articles on the major hometown team?

2. does it have anything to do with the fact that the sports editor can’t stand the major hometown team?

3. or does the sports editor have other “interests”? because as has been noted the sports editor does not mind doing articles on other teams.

[QUOTE=survivor45;149771]That means equal per-game coverage would give the Bobcats 3x the ink. Do we receive equal per-game coverage?[/QUOTE]

I’ll take a shot at this one…they use the same amount of ink on a per game basis.

The amount of “Niners ink” (in the daily circulation) equals the amount of “Bobcats ink” (in each single copy of the circulation).

The observations are my favorite…like this gem…

“Charlotte players Jerell Jamison and Courtney Williams saw increased play, which should help their development.”

Wow…thats a good observation…heres a couple I have had

1. Making more shots than the other team increases the chances of victory.

2. Rebounding is an important factor in every basketball game.

3. Turnovers tend to have negative effects on a basketball team.

4. Sex Panther by Odion…60 percent of the time…it works every time.

I need a column too!!!

let's try these 3 questions since mike is beating around the bush again.
  1. why is the observer the ONLY paper in the world that refuses to do pre-game articles on the major hometown team?

2. does it have anything to do with the fact that the sports editor can’t stand the major hometown team?

3. or does the sports editor have other “interests”? because as has been noted the sports editor does not mind doing articles on other teams.

I’ll give ya #1 but there is no basis and never has been to support #2 and #3. Regarding #2, I’m guessing Mike spends far more time interacting with Niner fans than he does any other college basketball fanbase. And despite less than stellar coverage, Mike has never come across as a Niner-basher. He’s not a “fan” either but that’s not his job. #3 would only make sense if the Observer never ran Niner stories and only covered the ACC, exclusively. We’re also only one regional team that warrants local interest. So we’re competing for coverage with not only UNC, but also N.C. State, Wake Forest, Duke and to an extent, Clemson. Not to mention Davidson, Winthrop, JC Smith, Queens, etc.

you guys are wasting your time. these questions can be better answered by directly contacting knight ridder.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;149731]You list 12 items in a three-day span from two newspapers, or two items per paper per day. We had 10 items in a five-day span in the same timeframe, not counting the story Jan. 11 about how the transfers are fitting in well. [/QUOTE]

The question was specifically about the Xavier pregame coverage. HP posts 9 PREGAME articles from the two Cincinnati papers specifically mentioning the Xavier/Charlotte game. You come back with 10 items, only two of which even mention Xavier/Charlotte prior to the game. You are coming up against the Cinci pregame press with articles about a complete different game. I guess my question here is, is there a single topic you can’t spin to make it look like your paper actually does a halfway decent job of covering your local 20,000 student university? Actually, no, I just want to know if you actually believe the stuff that you type here? Do you actually convince yourself that a St. Joe’s post game recap holds equal weight as a Xavier pregame story when the argument is specifically about the Xavier pregame coverage?

[QUOTE]
Jan. 16: This week in sports looks ahead to GW, mentions game a week out

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/13635927.htm [/QUOTE]
Why are you bragging about giving a three setence preview of the best sporting event that is taking place in your market area this week? Some newspapers might even consider it their job to let their readers know early and often about the best upcoming events in their city.

jcl i think you’re a great mod but think about what you just said.

jcl your answers were pretty f****** stupid.
And your questions were pretty indicative that you have no clue about the newspaper industry. Your direct follow-up response to me, was pretty indicative of your high level of immaturity and complete lack of class.

If you’re going to ask someone questions, how about coming up with something that actually makes some sense instead of wasting everyone’s time?

And by the way, if you’re going to insult me and then edit your post, you may want to do so a little quicker before I’ve had a chance to quote you.

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;149773]let’s try these 3 questions since mike is beating around the bush again.

1. why is the observer the ONLY paper in the world that refuses to do pre-game articles on the major hometown team? [/QUOTE]

We have a wider group of teams than just the hometown team, and we try to do right by all of them. We don’t do straight advances very often, preferring to write feature stories that appear on or around the day of big games.

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;149773]2) does it have anything to do with the fact that the sports editor can’t stand the major hometown team?[/QUOTE]

I like the Niners. But I also know where they fall in the sports landscape here.

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;149773]3) or does the sports editor have other “interests”? because as has been noted the sports editor does not mind doing articles on other teams.[/QUOTE]

This conveniently ignores stories we’ve done on the Niners on game days this year and in the past.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;149782]And your questions were pretty indicative that you have no clue about the newspaper industry. [/QUOTE]

unless you work for the observer i promise i do know more. that’s all i can say and i apologize for my comment.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;149783]We have a wider group of teams than just the hometown team, and we try to do right by all of them. We don’t do straight advances very often, preferring to write feature stories that appear on or around the day of big games…[/QUOTE]

you have no more teams than cincy. that’s the major point you keep refusing to address. the cincy paper did a ton of pre-game articles and they have xavier, cincinnati, kentucky, louisville, ohio state, dayton, west virginia, the bengals, the reds, southern indiana, and many others in their “region”.

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;149786]you have no more teams than cincy. that’s the major point you keep refusing to address. the cincy paper did a ton of pre-game articles and they have xavier, cincinnati, kentucky, louisville, ohio state, dayton, west virginia, the bengals, the reds, southern indiana, and many others in their “region”.[/QUOTE]

We’ll just agree to disagree. We both have our opinion of “right,” and they are different.

[QUOTE=casstommy;149776]The observations are my favorite…like this gem…

[/QUOTE]

I still think this “observation” speaks volumes. Just remember, they are talking about the A10 when this was said.

…“George Washington might be the only A-10 team currently ranked, but four of the 14 schools have 10 or more wins this season. That still pales in comparison to the 12-member ACC, which has nine schools with 10 or more victories.”

[QUOTE=jcl49er;149782]Your direct follow-up response to me, was pretty indicative of your high level of immaturity and [B]complete lack of class.[/B][/QUOTE]

LakeNorman49er, Glad to welcome you to the CLASSLESS club. May I make a suggestion to my fellow club member? I wouldn’t bother fighting with either of these guys - you’re just wasting your time.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;149787]We’ll just agree to disagree. We both have our opinion of “right,” and they are different.[/QUOTE]
What does it say when any other major newspaper’s opinion of “right” differs from your own? How many papers need to out-do the Observer in order for you to realize that some things aren’t left open to personal opinion? Is everythign in the Observer left this open to personal opinion? If your news editor decided that he/she only wanted to print stories about George Bush twice a week, does he have that freedom to make that decision? How is it that one person’s opinion of “right” can shape the entire sports section?

Have you ever, seriously, compared yourself to other major newspapers in large cities across the country? I know you dominate Creative Loafing and the Hornet’s Nest Elementary School bi-monthly newsletter in terms of Niners coverage, but do you actually try comparing your coverage with other major newspapers with similar conflicts of interest?

We'll just agree to disagree. We both have our opinion of "right," and they are different.

And their opinion just happens to be more popular with this section of readers in Charlotte. Whatever happened to the customer is always right?