Campus Construction Update

While looking at the stadium construction today I noticed that, in addition to the Kulwicki Center, EPIC, tennis center and Phase IX dorm; that the south entrance to CRI is also a beehive of construction activity. The CRI physical plant (behind Grigg) has recently undergone a significant expansion as well.

Deck I (1347 spaces) is going south of the RUP, probably the construction you saw

Probably, considering the route to the South CRI entrance looks like all it needs is asphalt to be open. I’m surprised how fast Deck H went up, seems Union Deck took a lot longer. We love us some parking decks! :smiley:

Oh yea H flew up… I will take a bit longer, as it is 7 levels high and 4 are under the grade on the west side. It was originally supposed to come online with EPIC but went back for redesign(originally 5 levels.) Deck J is in design phase too… will come up with the housing phase 11 project.

What’s funny is, is that we’ll need to take back the upper field behind wachovia field house once we get field hockey/lacrosse if we want to keep all the sports in same area, and Rec Services will make athletics pay for expansion somewhere else for taking “their” fields…My real question is, where can we put the outdoor swimming and diving facility? I think that will be a must if that’s one of the women’s sports we add, on top of West Deck?? Would be a pretty cool view from the high dive… :wink:

Can’t lacrosse/field hockey just play on the soccer field?

Long term plan is to replace the soccer field with artificial turf to handle the additional usage of the new female sports. If we ever have a diving/swimming center it will be part of the new Student Recreation Center planned for the corner of Carver and Mary Alexander and will be 100% indoors.

So if those fields across from Greek Village are temporary, when the fields closer to the stadium are done, what happens to them? Seems like an awful waste of money to build those fields if their only temporary?

No, they’re permanent recreation fields too. They are just temporarily replacing fields 8 and 9. When the new ones behind Wachovia open we’ll have two sets of artificial rec fields, one on each side of campus. But technically the fields at the Greek Village are ADDITIONAL fields while the one behind Wachovia is a REPLACEMENT field for fields 8 and 9.

Looks like they’re starting to dismantle Smurf Village. There were a stack of doors and dressers outside on the lawn.

Has to be the first thing since the barn they’ve torn down since the campus opened.

I get sick to my stomach every time I think about the barn being torn down - so much tradition could have been centered around the barn.

Great, now my kids will never know how shitty my dorm use to be.

Great, now my kids will never know how shitty my dorm use to be.[/quote]

That is kind of sad, met my wife in the Smurf.

That is kind of sad, met my wife in the Smurf.

Still time to sneak into one of the units and make a final Smurf Village memory!

30 - Opposite side of the Tennis Center
40 - Rec Field 5 listed in the last image
42 - Courtyard side of Phase IX dorms

The rest not construction but there’s not a lot of pictures out there of TransAmerica Field and I might add these to the Wiki page.

Short tour of renovated Prospector @ 8:12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6NvT0RK5WE&feature=player_detailpage#t=493s

[quote=“emf, post:50, topic:24325”]Looks like they’re starting to dismantle Smurf Village. There were a stack of doors and dressers outside on the lawn.[/quote]Smurf Village? Is that Phase III? If so I lived there my last year, and a semester after they opened. You could tell that they were built by the low bid contractor, and looking back I wouldn’t trade my Moore Hall years for more time in the apartments for anything. Times have changed but the high rise dorms were college. More privacy and an X-Box are no substitute.

Signed,

Old Guy :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Nugget, post:58, topic:24325”][quote=“emf, post:50, topic:24325”]Looks like they’re starting to dismantle Smurf Village. There were a stack of doors and dressers outside on the lawn.[/quote]Smurf Village? Is that Phase III? If so I lived there my last year, and a semester after they opened. You could tell that they were built by the low bid contractor, and looking back I wouldn’t trade my Moore Hall years for more time in the apartments for anything. Times have changed but the high rise dorms were college. More privacy and an X-Box are no substitute.

Signed,

Old Guy :p[/quote]
Yep, Phase III, the blue buildings. State law says all residence halls have to have sprinklers and it wasn’t cost-effective to try to retrofit them; same thing with Martin and Hunt Villages, too: they’re going to be demolished over the next couple years. Eventually Phase III and Martin will be replaced with high-density housing.

Niner News needs to learn how to hold a video camera, or not have Michael J. Fox in charge of filming. Here’s a few pics I took when I did some work in Prospector last week.