MT Post Game

The coaching was very questionable. The special teams kick-off and punt return squad left 100+ yards out there by either not catching the ball, not calling for a fair catch, or once again downing the ball by the punter. The FGs were not good, but a new holder and some wind were in play. The offense was not good. Sherriffs looked like a guy who got beat in camp. He is tall but lacks vision of the field. Locked on receivers (batted balls) and had poor accuracy (INTs and overthrows). Let’s hope more playing time will allow him to improve, or the remainder of the season will be winless.

Agree with every word.

IDOnt see us winning three more.

Damn if this don’t sum it up!

Disagree with your Shireffs hate. He threw 3 horrible balls but still brings more to the table in terms of a down field passing attack than Reynolds does, which helps our #1 weapon, Benny Lemay.

Now, if he had an offensive line that didn’t blow chunks in pass protection, that’d be something. Reynolds was beat all to hell by their lack of blocking too.

Shireffs just needs more game snaps he missed two TDs by a couple of centimeters.

I don’t think that I was hating on Sherriffs as much as I was analyzing what I saw. You seem to discount the fact that this was the worst QB rating by any starting QB this season. His last drive of the game he was 4/5 for 81 yards and a TD. That really inflated his numbers for the game. Prior to that he was 16/35 for 128 yards and 2 picks. He only averaged 5.2 yards per attempt for the game and prior to the last drive was 3.7 yards per attempt. Like I said before and as you stated more snaps could equal better chemistry. However, he doesn’t appear to be an upgrade at the QB position from what I have seen to this point. I feel like we missed Reynolds today.

1 Like

Stockstill had virtually the same YPC

The problem isn’t Shireffs, it’s our shitty o line.

You were down on Shireffs before he even took a snap. That bothers me.

Cite a negative post I ever made against Sherriffs…

I only thought that his play last week didn’t warrant him to win a start over Reynolds if both were healthy.

It was only Shirreff’s first game but the main differences I noticed…

• He missed on several throws when he did have time and when he had receivers open. Reynolds accuracy seems to be better
  • He seems to be at his best getting the ball out quick to his first read (last drive was a lot of this)
  • When he has time…he doesn’t seem to find anyone. It could be that the coverage was that good…or he doesn’t scan the field well or move thru progressions well (similar to Matt)
  • He doesn’t seem to feel the pressure well…and that could come with time. His fumble and the interception where he was hit as he thru…he had no clue the pressure was there.
  • He does have a much stronger arm than Reynolds
  • To be 6’5"…he got an awful lot of passes batted down

I think Reynolds has better accuracy…better pocket presence…better at going thru progressions and better at extending a play.

I do wish he had Shirreff’s arm strength and height.

Again…the sample size is a little bigger for Reynolds…and Shirreff could improve with more game time. But at this point, I too can see how Reynolds beat him out based on what I’ve seen so far.

Reynolds has more foot speed, and makes better decisions with the football. He’s a more accurate passer, and safer/smarter with the rock. IMO he fits this system very well.

Shirrefs has way more arm talent. His mechanics are inconsistent. He is inconsistent in his decision making. He does make throws that Reynolds is simply not capable of.

You are both right in a lot of ways. Neither is head and shoulders better than the other IMO. New coach will probably pick one based on his philosophy. Let’s hope Brady Pope has the best qualities of both of them.

A situation like this is perfect for next year. The hardest working of the three, plus whoever a new guy brings in, will in all likelihood be our quarterback. Healthy Competition is a good thing.

Neither qb is really set up to be successful. When you can’t count on your O line to hold, you spend your time watching the other team come at you rather than your receivers. They have three choices: hurry the pass, get punished, or hand it to Lemay. We pick Lemay so often that the defense knows to always key on him. Our coaches failed to develop other options.