Thoughts: Rivalry trophy with ODU

Since the ODU game has finally been moved to the final game of the season (and we have a win in the series now too), perhaps it’s time to see if we can’t manufacture a rivalry with ODU and make it official with a trophy.

In the past, most SGA’s got together and made this happen but now-a-days I don’t think a lot of those soy drinkers in University SGA’s would approve of endorsing competition in this way.

What do you guys think about starting a Go-Fund-Me for a Charlotte/Old Dominion rivalry trophy?

https://csnbbs.com/thread-868378-post-15833691.html#pid15833691

I had talked to Lambert about this. Discussed a wrestling belt, a crown or a scepter. He was reluctant. New coach might be more receptive to this. First 49 even offered to help cover costs.

Manufacture is the operative word here. I don’t know about anybody else, but I don’t have any feelings about ODU one way or the other.

2 Likes

I don’t want to come off like UConn, whom I believe tried to manufacture a rivalry with UCF.

If ODU is into it, fine.

Meh. Like a white out, I wouldn’t care about this.

1 Like

I think it depend on your view of our time in CUSA. If we think we are here for a bit might as well start something. If you think we won’t be here in 5 years, then who cares.

I’m not really a fan of manufactured stuff. We need to let what happens on the field of play dictate rivalries.

4 Likes

If anything, right now, ODU would move up before us or hopefully with us. I see no reason not to try to develop something with ODU since we are similar institutions with similar backgrounds.

That could take decades and anything “manufactured” could help out tremendously at this point in our history.

I agree with A49 and others. I don’t like things that feel manufactured. We might have gotten under their skin and vice versa over the past few years, and we are similar institutions in many ways, but this feels like pushing this for the sake of doing so. We can barely keep our legitimate rivalries alive (Davidson, not even to think about say Cincy) so I don’t think we should be trying to cobble new ones together right now. It is only worth memorializing if both fan bases are really on board, and we aren’t even close to being there right now.

I actually think it would backfire and make us come off as small time.

“LOL look at the dumb UNCC fans. They want a rivalry with us, we don’t even know they exist. They’ve only beat us one time in a hurricane shortened weekday football game in front of 500 people and they want to make a trophy for our ‘rivalry’” LOLOL"

Something like that.

2 Likes

That would be a terrible rivalry.

2 Likes

What you guys are basically saying is no trophy ever, since by the time the rivalry you want a trophy for finally heats up, there’d be no point to throwing in a trophy on top of the already existing tradition.

Manufactured isn’t a bad word people. Right now we have NOTHING “organic” with ANY school, even Favidson, but we do have a very ugly trophy with them.

The kids playing the game on either side aren’t going to care if the fans think they are too cool for this particular rivalry. They are going to be pumped to win a trophy against a school they play every year and might have even been recruited by.

Curious, who do you think would be a good rivalry for us?

Disagree. Davidson was totally organic. They are owning us right now, and for a while we owned them, but the rivalry is totally organic.

Most are. I don’t know of any rivalries that started because someone said it should be a rivalry. They happen because of history. If we knock someone out of bowl contention then they do the same to us the following year, something like that is how rivalries start.

FWIW, if we could get our shizzle together, the Appys are obsessed with us and make a much better natural rival. I also wouldn’t suggest we do anything to them until we bust them in the jaw a couple of times. Trying to pick rivalries against teams we have losing records against feels very little bro, which suits us lately.

UCF won and left the stupid trophy on the field.

1 Like

Good grief that’s cringe.

2 Likes

App is by far a better rival than ODU. Hell anyone in state is better. Out of state ODU makes sense but I just don’t view them as anything.

Pushing a rivalry that doesn’t exist is just dumb.

Would a rivalry be great in football? Sure, lets go beat some fucking teams and make it happen.

2 Likes

I’d rather we aspire to play ECU annually in football, basketball and baseball. Even though they constantly suck at hoops, they at least aspire to be more than what they are unlike App which is a one-sport pony.

This. There were games, and hate, decades before the trophy was thrown in. I strongly endorse developing rivalries, but I am not sure there is sufficient Monarch hate yet to make this work.

2 Likes