University of Charlotte (Name Change Now)

James Tabor the religious studies department chair for years has had, books, research, and TV appearances credited to Chapel Hill.

As has visiting professor Shimon Gibson in the History Department.

Shimon Gibson is an amazing professor as well. He’s been digging in Jerusalem and allows us to be the only University outside of Israel allowed to dig in Jerusalem.

I forgot about that, that’s a hell of a feather in the History Department-and the Uni as a whole’s cap.

A TV Series on FOX? Its an entire book line and as I mentioned she is one of the leading forensic anthropologist and has appeared in print, academic and tv coverage due to her participation in things like the branch davidian fire and other disasters.

You obviously have a baby blue tshirt on.

Feel free to take a look around. It happens all the time.

2 Likes

clt says we R Charlotte.

1 Like

I’ve lost brain cells reading some of this junk from this guy.

2 Likes

The “keep the UNC” advocates always have the same the argument, no ones knows the school so the UNC brings some “notoriety”. The funny thing is none of them ever want to acknowledge that if the UNC name has so much pull, then why aren’t we known outside of NC?

They really just parrot talking points they’ve heard, ignore critical thinking, and never bring relevant stats or information to the argument.

If we want to go through with this it needs to be 110%. There are going to be a lot of opponents in high positions that will attempt to maintain the power structure and that won’t cave easily.

Damn good thread for a president day Monday.

I see the need for a name change. Creating an identity of our own.

Now the reasoning for not doing a name change, is it because we get the “relationship” or “credit” from Unc-chapel hill?

I could see if ALL schools did it for consistency. ecu, ncstate, app etc, but they don’t so we are left sounding like a lesser school or community college.

Not sure if the links are still good but here’s the Statmats thread on branding:

They are not functioning.

I think just like football, there will be a huge resistance by UNC powers for support of a name change. Charlotte WILL be larger than Chapel Hill soon enough so if that isn’t evidence of need, nothing is. Getting a Medical School should be a huge priority as well. Both occurring coincidentally would be ideal and in best interests of UNC System. New bank HQ in CLT can’t hurt.

2 Likes

So, to clarify, a stop-gap measure could be to retain our official name, University of North Carolina Charlotte, but change all the university and anything tied to the university (athletics, alumni assoc, etc) branding to University of Charlotte?

And no one outside the university and BOT would have to approve?

In theory, no.

Its a shame erskine bowls is no longer system president. He was asked if he would support a name change and he said ge would endorse whatever the school chose to do.

I’m not sure the powers that be will resist. It’s all how we sell this name change. It’s not really about dropping the UNC, it’s about recognizing the Charlotte brand and aligning our institution with that brand, since it is our mission statement to be the urban research institute for North Carolina. We’re merely being who they want us to be.

2 Likes

#DroptheUNC is a tough hashtag to replace, but I agree with NLP’s positioning that the movement should be about our evolution and branding rather than just a rejection of another.

clt had the cltern update our logo, it would be that simple

1 Like

I find this topic interesting on so many levels, but more because I always believed the optimal time for the name change would have been while the university was in a conference with the U of Cincy, Louisville, Memphis, etc. It just made sense then. The university has matured enough that it makes sense now too…unlike Pembroke State which needed the “academic” boost that the UNC name provides a smaller institution.

Academically, based on my experience, UNC Charlotte is well-known, highly regarded, but the confusion still happens…especially when attending conferences with international participants…they don’t understand the differences, that the state supports 16 campuses not just one.

That’s a serious issue. It’s been my experience that the biggest opponents to the name change are people who do not support/like the the school in the first place. Yet, somehow their opinion should matter the same? I don’t know how you account for that when doing studies and research.

1 Like