1977 Final Four Controversy

I was reading the Wake Forest game notes for this weekend, and it mentioned a controversial ending to Charlotte’s 1977 Final Four game verses Marquette. However it did not give any details. I wasn’t born until 83, and didn’t even realize we made the final four until I came here 4 years ago.

Can anyone describe what happened at the end of that game? I’m real interested in knowing how close we came to the finals.

HP, Over 40, take it away. I’ve seen the film several times, but it’s better hearing it from somebody who was at the game. I’ll let them tell it.

I’ve only heard it told from my dad would love to hear it again.

How can I get a copy of that game? Are they available anywhere?

yeah id like a copy too

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;153637]How can I get a copy of that game? Are they available anywhere?[/QUOTE]

The only thing I’ve been able to find is the highlight video that CBS and the NCAA puts out from each year. ESPN Classic runs these continuously during Final Four weekend each year. Here is the link to get one of those:

[URL=http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/basketball/finalfour_video.html][U][B][COLOR=DarkGreen]NCAA.org: Final Four Highlight Vidoes[/COLOR][/B][/U][/URL]

I would also like a full version of our game, even as heartbreaking as it is to watch.

You should be able to get copies of the tape at the school. We use to watch it every year in the dorms while I was in school during the mid 80’s. If I remember, Jerome Whitehead of Marquette walked before he made a shot at the buzzer.

how could we go about getting a copy from the school?

could somebody put it online?

[QUOTE=Woodman;153647]You should be able to get copies of the tape at the school. We use to watch it every year in the dorms while I was in school during the mid 80’s. If I remember, Jerome Whitehead of Marquette walked before he made a shot at the buzzer.[/QUOTE]

I’ve only seen it when they do the ESPN Pride of the Program thing, but I thought it was an offensive basket interference call that they missed on the last play.

[QUOTE=Max Power;153655]I’ve only seen it when they do the ESPN Pride of the Program thing, but I thought it was an offensive basket interference call that they missed on the last play.[/QUOTE]

There were three fouls/violations from what I have seen of the video. Whitehead pushes off to receive the pass, walks before he shoots, and then goaltends while tipping in the follow shot/winning basket. Obviously, none of the violations were whistled.

were we winning or was it tied

I’m curious, does anyone think that our program would be any different today had we won the championship in 1977?

more than likely, we couldve used the fact that we won in 77 to help recruiting in the years following.

but its pure speculation

I know exactly what happened…FREAKING DONKEYJAWS TOOK MY BUNGEE BALL TITLE! I have never heard anything about the 1977 Final Four game. It would be interesting to know.

yes yes, i am the champ of bungeeball.

its such a hard game, theres no way you will ever get this title back.

I will…You just wait and see! Give me a week to work hard at making those baskets!

[QUOTE=donkeyjaws;153657]were we winning or was it tied[/QUOTE]

Strangely enough, it was tied [B]49-49[/B]. You would have thought we would have been more lucky with those numbers on the scoreboard.

Either way, I think Rose still bolts Purdue, so I don’t know that things would have turned out that much different.

im working on a month as we speak!

[QUOTE=HP49er]About 2 weeks after the Final Four he asked me to set up the projector and I had the opportunity to view the game film (yes, games were shot on 16mm film then) of the Marquette game with him. We watched the final play over and over perhaps 10 times without discussing it and then he calmly said, “It was offensive goaltending.” To my knowledge, Rose never looked at that film again.[/QUOTE]

It’s from 12-21-04. Hope this helps.