1998 NCAA Tournament: Charlotte vs. UNC-CH

You already have. I understand. We're on to discussing the game.

The quote I just posted for you says “I agree that this should be threaded, as it was a big game.” This makes the legitmacy of a thread being posted directly contingent on whether or not it was a big game, unless I’m misreading it.

Let's try to keep all posts in this forum informative, rather than just conversational. Thanks.

:wink:

I really appreciate these videos… Thanks and keep them coming :biggrin:

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;403167]If Arizona was the top seed, and the game was in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, then yeah.[/QUOTE]

I find that hard to believe for some of us. Arizona was a #1 seed that year, that’s why I used them as an example. However, it seems like a lot of us put Chapel Hill on a pedestal, even if it is out of hate. We hate them, so for a lot of people this game is bigger than a loss.

I don’t care who it was, I think it is horribly demeaning to our program to rate a loss of any kind higher than a win.

Case in point, 1977 vs. Marquette. We lost that game… Final Four or not, it’s not a bigger game historically than X. Of course it was a bigger game before and during the game, but historically a win is a win, and a loss is a loss. The game vs. Michigan in which we earned our trip to the Final Four, however, is the biggest game in school history, IMO.

By the way, is there a thread for the Michigan game yet?

My post was targeted ad those who were complaining that we were recognizing the Xavier game.

However, to say that a loss is 20 times bigger than any win is ridiculous, and pretty much admits that we’re not a proud program. To qualify yourself with “Yeah, well, we went to overtime vs. a 1 seed” is pretty sad if you lost in overtime.

Damn then we really do suck because the game that a lot of us are proudest of was a loss to Marquette.

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;403170]The quote I just posted for you says “[B]I agree that this should be threaded, as it was a big game.[/B]” This makes the legitmacy of a thread being posted directly contingent on whether or not it was a big game, unless I’m misreading it.[/QUOTE]

No, you didn’t misread, but I did miscommunicate. I was trying to say that yes it deserved a thread, and yes it was a big game… but not one contingent of the other.

Should have been A & B and not B > A.

Originally Posted by NinerAdvocate Let's try to keep all posts in this forum informative, rather than just conversational. Thanks.

QFT!!!

By the way, is there a thread for the Michigan game yet?

That game is the holy grail of Niner videos. No one on here has it…maybe. I am currently in the process of…well, I can say no more. But don’t expect any news on it any time soon.

[QUOTE=Mr. Bojangles;403177]QFT!!![/QUOTE]

As far as keeping this strictly informational, I couldn’t disagree more.

You take a class to learn the material, not to read the textbook. The difference between classes and just getting and reading the book is discussion. While this forum is great and the information is very valuable, I think it loses a lot of its worth if discussing these events is discouraged.

That game is the holy grail of Niner videos. [SIZE=4]No one on here has it...maybe[/SIZE]. I am currently in the process of...well, I can say no more. But don't expect any news on it any time soon.

:shades:

I find that hard to believe for some of us. Arizona was a #1 seed that year, that's why I used them as an example. However, it seems like a lot of us put Chapel Hill on a pedestal, even if it is out of hate. We hate them, so for a lot of people this game is bigger than a loss.
I would also find a loss to #1/#1 #1 Arizona in OT in the second round of the NCAA Tournament to be a more historically significant game than this year's win over X.

It being against UNC only adds a little bit to it because it has allowed us to back up our claim that that’s why they won’t play us and not because “we are scared” or “couldn’t run with them.”

I don't care who it was, I think it is horribly demeaning to our program to rate a loss of any kind higher than a win.
There is no way our loss to #1/#1 #1 UNC in the 2nd Round of the NCAA Tournament was less important of a game than our win over UNCG this year.
Case in point, 1977 vs. Marquette. We lost that game... Final Four or not, it's not a bigger game [I]historically[/I] than X.
Nope, it's much bigger because it was in the Final Four. We have a banner hanging in rafters for a game we lost and it's something our fans stand on to promote our program.

If you want to look at it in terms of what it did for program, our loss to Marquette in the Final Four and our loss to #1/#1 #1 UNC did more for our program than our win over UNCG this year.

I realize this is not a forum for debate so I apologize. Perhaps the mods could move this to a new thread in 49er Sports Forum?

As far as keeping this strictly informational, I couldn't disagree more.

You take a class to learn the material, not to read the textbook. The difference between classes and just getting and reading the book is discussion. While this forum is great and the information is very valuable, I think it loses a lot of its worth if discussing these events is discouraged.

I agree. However, the point of these threads is not for debate but soley for the purpose of providing information for someone to look through. If they have to scroll through pages of us debating, it will be a lot more difficult than just seeing the information all together. These threads are supposed to be us making the textbook, since none exists.

We need a separate thread labeled “DEBATE” I suppose so that we could debate it as well. A far better solution would be for us to have the ability to tag posts that only contain debate so that someone can toggle viewing them or not viewing them. The 2nd thread idea is just a lot easier to implement.

Apparently there’s a Cinci fan with this game.

[QUOTE=49or bust;403189]I agree. However, the point of these threads is not for debate but soley for the purpose of providing information for someone to look through. If they have to scroll through pages of us debating, it will be a lot more difficult than just seeing the information all together. These threads are supposed to be us making the textbook, since none exists.

We need a separate thread labeled “DEBATE” I suppose so that we could debate it as well. A far better solution would be for us to have the ability to tag posts that only contain debate so that someone can toggle viewing them or not viewing them. The 2nd thread idea is just a lot easier to implement.[/QUOTE]

http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?p=403190#post403190

I'll go ahead and say it... for those who were rolling their eyes that the win vs. Xavier got a thread... you'd better be up in arms about this one.

wrong-----this game was HUGE!!!

I agree that this should be threaded, as it was a big game. My post was targeted ad those who were complaining that we were recognizing the Xavier game.

However, to say that a loss is 20 times bigger than any win is ridiculous, and pretty much admits that we’re not a proud program. To qualify yourself with “Yeah, well, we went to overtime vs. a 1 seed” is pretty sad if you lost in overtime.

Oh my----no it does not at all-----do you think the Xavier “win” is bigger than the Marquette (F4) loss?

Edit: oops—I see now you do…WOW!!!
:ohmy:

[QUOTE=thelew1014;403140]I’ll go ahead and say it… for those who were rolling their eyes that the win vs. Xavier got a thread… you’d better be up in arms about this one.[/QUOTE]

This is the game in which I became a Niner fan…so it was obviously HUGE win.

We may not have won the game, but we damn sure won the hearts of many fans out there, including me.

My dad was yelling so much at the TV that night, he actually had a heart attack the day after this game. (He’s survived :smile:)

This game & the follow-up the next fall would have been even bigger if we hadn’t been robbed in regulation by the refs.