2010 Division I College Football Playoff Bracket

Attached is the 2010 version of the bracket. Some good first round matchups yet again. Instead of these we get historic showdowns like the Beef O’ Brady Bowl and the TicketCity Bowl. This bracket may never come to fruition, but it’s nice to dream. If anyone has NCAA Football 11, sim it out and we’ll declare a virtual champion.

Last 4 In
Notre Dame
Florida
Maryland
Navy

First 4 Out
Tulsa
NC State
Air Force
Miami (Fla)

Did you give an auto-bid to every conference? I think you did at first glance.

Denying every conference an auto-bid is basically telling all members of that conference that their season doesn’t matter.

[quote=“J Felt, post:2, topic:24494”]Did you give an auto-bid to every conference? I think you did at first glance.

Denying every conference an auto-bid is basically telling all members of that conference that their season doesn’t matter.[/quote]

Yes. 11 Conference winners got automatic berths. 21 at-large berths. I used the realtimerpi.com power rankings to help with the seeding. I have used the Sagarine Ratings in the past, but there were a couple of screwy things that did not add up with those rankings this year, so I found something that seemed to be a better representation of the results.

East bracket looks brutal. Getting to the Final through that grouping would be worthy of a trophy by itself.

This would be so much more appealing than the current system.

makes too much since. but i guess if i was in charge and would lose big money to make others happy… ^&$^*& all of you!

hope it happens though. be interested to know how much less money there would be. Seems like they’d make more.

[quote=“cibik02, post:5, topic:24494”]makes too much since. but i guess if i was in charge and would lose big money to make others happy… ^&$^*& all of you!

hope it happens though. be interested to know how much less money there would be. Seems like they’d make more.[/quote]

According to “Death to the BCS” the schools/NCAA would make millions more, especially if the games were hosted on campus until the final four or championship.

I know some of you don’t believe me, but most schools lose money going to bowl games. After revenue sharing and having to pay for unsold tickets, the payouts aren’t that much. And then after having to cover the travel costs of getting your team/band/cheerleaders/staff to the game usually results in a loss for the school.

The bowl system is all about control.

[quote=“cibik02, post:5, topic:24494”]makes too much since. but i guess if i was in charge and would lose big money to make others happy… ^&$^*& all of you!

hope it happens though. be interested to know how much less money there would be. Seems like they’d make more.[/quote]

I don’t buy the “less money” argument. CBS just paid $771 million for the new college basketball tournament contract. My guess is that a college football tournament would command close to double that amount from the networks. ESPN’s new BCS contract was only for $125 million. So let’s do the math. $125 million for 10 teams in the BCS equals $12.5 million per school. Simply using the college basketball contract amount of $771 million for a 32-team football tournament equals $24 million per school. Even with a tournament, the 16 first round losers and the 32 teams that don’t make the playoffs can still play in meaningless bowl games. More money for everybody.

[quote=“J Felt, post:2, topic:24494”]Did you give an auto-bid to every conference? I think you did at first glance.

Denying every conference an auto-bid is basically telling all members of that conference that their season doesn’t matter.[/quote]
Not every FCS conference gets an auto bid, IIRC.

[quote=“UNCCTF, post:8, topic:24494”][quote=“J Felt, post:2, topic:24494”]Did you give an auto-bid to every conference? I think you did at first glance.

Not every FCS conference gets an auto bid, IIRC.[/quote]

The Ivy League and SWAC schools choose not to participate on their own accord. The only other two conferences that don’t receive automatic berths outside of those two are the Pioneer Conference (non-scholarship league) and the Great West Conference. The Pioneer Conference is pursuing an automatic bid, and the Great West does not meet the minimum member requirement yet.