2013 Fall Baseball

The team phase of workouts began last week and will continue leading up to the Fall Green-White Series at the end of October.

The Niners will play an exhibition game Sunday September 29th against the Ontario Blue Jays at the Hayes. The Blue Jays are a travel team who proclaim themselves “Canada’s #1 Amateur Baseball program” and play a full schedule of college exhibitions this fall.

The Green & White Series will be October 24-26 at the Hayes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzCcViWCEr8

I’m in for the 29th. I’m interested to see how the new guys are doing. We’ve got some key holes to fill. 3B, SS & OF come to mind.

What time on the 29th? I have something else I have to attend in late afternoon but might can make it if the game starts around noon.

I have heard 1:00.

https://www.facebook.com/events/171161186402956/

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:4, topic:28261”]I have heard 1:00.

https://www.facebook.com/events/171161186402956/[/quote] Per "official’ website this is correct.

Also, If you have donated to the Grand Slam Club this past season, you are invited to attend the Baseball Alumni Tailgate before the Gardner-Webb game on October 5th.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:6, topic:28261”]Also, If you have donated to the Grand Slam Club this past season, you are invited to attend the Baseball Alumni Tailgate before the Gardner-Webb game on October 5th.[/quote] Well, well, well. I wonder when they were thinking about letting us know…4th of October or 12th of Never.

The AD hates the Grand Slam Club, plus… you know, #stealth

The AD hates the Grand Slam Club, plus… you know, #stealth[/quote]

Is that because all the money raised is designated solely for baseball? I almost joined last year and do plan on joining this year. We are now in a top notch baseball conference.

Speaking of baseball:

2 incoming Niners were on the top prospects list for teh SCBL this summer: RHP Ryan Butler (1st) and IF/OF Mikal Hill (8th).

Here is the prospect report on Ryan Butler:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=8975

[font=Verdana]1. RYAN BUTLER, rhp, Ballantyne Smokies (UNC Charlotte/JR in 2014)[/font]
[font=Verdana]Butler’s baseball career came full cycle this summer as he returned to Charlotte’s Ardrey Kell High, the very location where he achieved his greatest success to this point in a checkered career. As a high-school senior in 2010, he led that school to a North Carolina 4-A state title and was named tournament MVP in the process. The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Butler has pitched only sporadically since, but with a fastball that was clocked at 97 mph in a pre-draft workout by the New York Yankees, he was scooped up in the 16[size=10px]th[/size] round of the draft in June by that club. He was also an easy choice as the top prospect this summer in the SCBL, while working in relief for the Smokies, who played their home games at Ardrey Kell High. [/font]

[font=Verdana]Butler was passed over in the 2010 draft and attended Marshall out of high school, where he went 0-1, 5.87 in 15 innings of work there as a freshman, prompting him to transfer to Northwest Florida State CC, where he went 2-2, 4.88 in 24 innings in 2012 as a sophomore, before injuring his elbow and undergoing Tommy John surgery. Knowing he would miss the 2013 season entirely while in rehabilitation, Butler elected to transfer back home to Charlotte, where he enrolled in classes at Central Piedmont CC, which doesn’t even field a baseball program. [/font]

[font=Verdana]He soon began working out on the side, however, stimulating considerable interest from the Yankees, other big-league clubs and area Division I programs, but the Yankees were never able to sign him after drafting him, even as they raised their initial offer of $100,000 to $200,000 at the signing deadline. In the meantime, UNC Charlotte offered him a chance to play there as a red-shirt junior—initially for no scholarship money, but on a full ride once they learned the Yankees had stepped up and drafted him in a premium round and were putting on a full-court press to sign him.[/font]

[font=Verdana] All the while, Butler was brought along slowly by the Smokies this summer in his first crack at competitive pitching in 16 months, but he quickly began dominating hitters in the SCBL, recording saves in his first two outings while striking out eight in a combined three innings. Over the course of the summer, his fastball routinely sat at 93-94 mph, occasionally peaking at 97, and he complemented it with an effective changeup. It was only towards the end of the season that he gradually began working in a breaking ball. Overall, Butler made six relief appearances for the Smokies, posting a 0-0, 1.58 record with four saves. In 11 innings, he walked seven and struck out 16. With continued refinement of his stuff and command this fall and next spring at UNC Charlotte, Butler could conceivably vault significantly up draft boards in 2014. [/font]

[font=Verdana]Butler already has been indoctrinated to the realm of pro ball as his father Mike, a lefthander who pitched at North Carolina State, was drafted in the 46[size=10px]th[/size] round in 1991 by the California Angels and spent five years in that organization.[/font]

Mikal is an incoming Niner? I heard he has a lot of potential.

Looks like the AD stuck the new guy Michael Garrett in charge of the GSC. I received an email from him with the above information in it and a friggin’ Powerpoint attachment to renew your membership… 'cause hey, everyone has Powerpoint on their computer, right? ::slight_smile:

:o

What! This makes it pretty obvious that Microsoft is a new sponsor of 49er Athletics.

Here is the GS Club form for those interested:

Charlotte Baseball Grand Slam Club 13-14.pdf (275 KB)

I joined GS the 1st yr., then never got a reminder notice. Kind of like Fast Break Club last yr. after being in it for 4 yrs. I called them up, & they no longer had 1 person memberships of FB Club, you had to buy a 4 pack, so I said the hell with it.

GS link doesn’t pull up.

How much is the game on 09/29? I thought Ontario Blue Jays were a minor league affiliate of Toronto. :o

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:15, topic:28261”]I joined GS the 1st yr., then never got a reminder notice. Kind of like Fast Break Club last yr. after being in it for 4 yrs. I called them up, & they no longer had 1 person memberships of FB Club, you had to buy a 4 pack, so I said the hell with it.

GS link doesn’t pull up.

How much is the game on 09/29? I thought Ontario Blue Jays were a minor league affiliate of Toronto. :o[/quote]

The exhibition game is free. Here is the Ontario Blue Jays site: [font=Verdana][size=78%]http://www.ontariobluejays.com/home/[/size][/font]

Try this for the GS Club:

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:15, topic:28261”]I joined GS the 1st yr., then never got a reminder notice. Kind of like Fast Break Club last yr. after being in it for 4 yrs. I called them up, & they no longer had 1 person memberships of FB Club, you had to buy a 4 pack, so I said the hell with it.

GS link doesn’t pull up.

How much is the game on 09/29? I thought Ontario Blue Jays were a minor league affiliate of Toronto. :o[/quote]
They’re calling it an exhibition, so I imagine it’s free. More info http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=209259752

Nice 16 inning exhibition yesterday. The Blue Jays were clearly outmatched as expected, but it was nice to see some of the new guys. 49ers outscored them 17-7 on the day.

Our pitching was just overmatching them with velocity. We only allowed 4 hits over the 13 innings I was there. Hard to tell much, but we didn’t walk anyone while I was there.

Offensively, their pitchers had trouble finding the strike zone and walked in a few runs.
Freshman Logan Sherer had a double and a HR driving in 4 runs.
Des Roberts had a nice 2B.
Gallello drove in a run,
Shive had a sac fly to score 1,
FR TJ Nichting had an RBI single, and
FR Vogler drove in a run.

Trying not to get too excited about Logan Sherer, but he has the frame to be a nice player for us. He was versatile enough to play several different positions in HS, but I think he is an OF/1B type of player for us. Oh yeah he also pitched 2 hitless/ scoreless innings yesterday.

The starting line-up:

Des Roberts LF - JUCO sat out last year, has speed and some power
Mikal Hill 2B - JUCO from Miami-Dade. Signed with South Carolina out of Mallard Creek HS. Switch hitting versatile athelete
Brad Elwood SS - JR our best returning hitter
Corbin Shive RF - SR sat last year with TJ surgery, power bat back in the line-up
Grant Dunnegan 1B - SR saw a lot of time at 1B and DH last year
Brett Lang C - SO coming off a nice Freshman season, power bat
Derek Gallello 3B - JR Saw time at 3B late last year with Basen moving to SS.
Logan Sherer DH- FR had a double and a HR in the exhibition.
Jordan Hudson CF- SR Closer and I have no idea why he was in CF.

Subs:
LF Zach Jarrett- FR Big RH hitter
C Pat King- SO probably 4th catcher on the squad, Levine Scholar
2B TJ Nichting- FR switch hitting 2B from Ohio- had RBI in exhibition
3B Brandon Vogler- FR had an RBI in exhibition

C Pat Raley - JR - Competing for #2 catcher spot
OF Eric Eason - FR from Wilmington
OF Danny Raley- FR brother of Pat Raley

[font=verdana]C Nick Daddio- SO- Competing for the #2 catcher spot[/font]

On the mound:
Roberts 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 K
Harris 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 K
Matt Davis FR: 2 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 4 K
Nate Traugh SO 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R
Logan Sherer FR 2 IP, 0 H , 0 R
Ryan Mas
Weston Smith

Brock Hudgens and Ryan Butler did not pitch yesterday, but they will both be weekend guys for us this year.

Mat Creech did not play as he is still not fully recovered from shoulder surgery. He will be in the mix at either 2B or SS this year.

I did not see FR Jeremy Schellhorn play yesterday, but he is a big kid who was solid on the mound and a the plate for Weddington HS.

LHP Sean Geoghegan will not pitch this season after having TJ surgery this summer.

Leland Clemmons is no longer on the roster

Great write up Mr. B., it was also a great chance to check out what Niners will bring “back” to C-USA. I really like what I saw yesterday afternoon and it was a great surprise to see you, your son (my favorite 49er first baseman), Alumnus, 4ever, Mr. & Mrs H. among all of the hardcore baseball fans at the Hayes. We will have a great upcoming season and I could already feel there will be . . . “trouble in turn 4” for quite a few of C-USA teams. ;D

[font=comic sans ms][size=5]GO NINERS! ! ![/size][/font]

[quote=“Niner89, post:19, topic:28261”]Great write up Mr. B., it was also a great chance to check out what Niners will bring “back” to C-USA. I really like what I saw yesterday afternoon and it was a great surprise to see you, your son (my favorite 49er first baseman), Alumnus, 4ever, Mr. & Mrs H. among all of the hardcore baseball fans at the Hayes. We will have a great upcoming season and I could already feel there will be . . . “trouble in turn 4” for quite a few of C-USA teams. ;D

[font=comic sans ms][size=5]GO NINERS! ! ![/size][/font][/quote]

Did either team get any red cards?

I hate I had to miss this game. Looking forward to CUSA BASEBALL.