2017 C-USA Football signees

Conferenceusa.com: FB: 2017 Signees

USA Today touting UTSA’s class as third best among the Group of 5 schools.

USAToday.com: The best Group of Five college football recruiting classes

I honestly think UTSA is one of the up and coming programs in the group of 5. Gives me hope for Charlotte to rise as well, especially with our class being pretty solid.

As good as we think this class was, we have a long way to go with in the recruiting game. I know rankings don’t mean much once the work starts but we dropped to 10th on 247 and rivals.

FAU 15*** UTSA 17*** FIU 12*** SMU 11***

We pulled in 4 on signing day

I noticed that too. We were riding at 7th/8th leading up to signing day, then dropped to 10th. It’s easy to downplay rankings, but they tell a better story than anything when gauging a program’s future.

Our recruiting classes have been between 10th and 12th for the last 4 seasons. As these players gain experience, we see the product on the field improve, but we are nowhere near recruiting the best players in our conference yet. Lots of climbing to go!

[quote=“NormsNinerNation, post:4, topic:30787”]As good as we think this class was, we have a long way to go with in the recruiting game. I know rankings don’t mean much once the work starts but we dropped to 10th on 247 and rivals.

FAU 15*** UTSA 17*** FIU 12*** SMU 11***

We pulled in 4 on signing day[/quote]

Stars are great when it comes to bragging but they mean very little come 4 years later, Larry O is proof of that.

Also, take into account that the recruiting analysts bump up a lot of those kids when they commit to the school they are covering. Gets the fanbase excited and gets more clicks.

This is the thing about recruiting IMO.

For the top 20-30 classes, I think the analyst get it right. Those kids are highly covered, a lot of top programs fight for them, and while you have some busts, for the most part the top ranked recruiting classes go to the top ranked programs, and that talent translates to the field.

But once you get outside that upper echelon, I think rankings start to mean a lot less. The kids we’re recruiting don’t get much coverage, aren’t going to schools with rabid fanbases and aren’t getting the attention they should to get an accurate ranking. At that point, I’m more willing to trust if the coaches think the kid is going to be a good fit or not and not some guy on rivals who watched him play for one game.

I’d say Larry O is an exception, not proof. Look at any schools recent recruiting class ranks and they match their performance over time, almost every time.

I’d say Larry O is an exception, not proof. Look at any schools recent recruiting class ranks and they match their performance over time, almost every time.[/quote]

Maybe for the blue bloods but for everyone it’s a crapshoot. For schools like us it’s more about finding guys who fit the system and filling gaps.

We maybe ranked 10th the conference on signing day but the staff went out and got the kids they needed to check off specific boxes.

[quote=“NinerAlum18, post:3, topic:30787”]I honestly think UTSA is one of the up and coming programs in the group of 5. Gives me hope for Charlotte to rise as well, especially with our class being pretty solid.[/quote]UTSA has some nice positives for football (though their facilities and potential for everything else is pretty low). I’ve seen some of their fans complain about playing in the dome and call for an on campus stadium, but I think that’s a mistake. The dome allows them to get big time home games and I’m sure it is great for recruiting.

If you’re a G5 caliber player, would you rather go roast in the summer heat at UNT, Texas State, or Rice, or would you rather play in an air conditioned NFL arena?

They have us at #7 in the conference.

247 Sports ranks FAU #1 class in conference; Niners #10.

Sun-sentinel.com: Lane Kiffin brings Conference USA’s best recruiting class to FAU

247Sports.com: 2017 C-USA Football Recruiting Composite Team Rankings

[quote=“Niner National, post:10, topic:30787”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:3, topic:30787”]I honestly think UTSA is one of the up and coming programs in the group of 5. Gives me hope for Charlotte to rise as well, especially with our class being pretty solid.[/quote]UTSA has some nice positives for football (though their facilities and potential for everything else is pretty low). I’ve seen some of their fans complain about playing in the dome and call for an on campus stadium, but I think that’s a mistake. The dome allows them to get big time home games and I’m sure it is great for recruiting.

If you’re a G5 caliber player, would you rather go roast in the summer heat at UNT, Texas State, or Rice, or would you rather play in an air conditioned NFL arena?[/quote]. NFL arena ? No.

[quote=“919R, post:13, topic:30787”][quote=“Niner National, post:10, topic:30787”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:3, topic:30787”]I honestly think UTSA is one of the up and coming programs in the group of 5. Gives me hope for Charlotte to rise as well, especially with our class being pretty solid.[/quote]UTSA has some nice positives for football (though their facilities and potential for everything else is pretty low). I’ve seen some of their fans complain about playing in the dome and call for an on campus stadium, but I think that’s a mistake. The dome allows them to get big time home games and I’m sure it is great for recruiting.

If you’re a G5 caliber player, would you rather go roast in the summer heat at UNT, Texas State, or Rice, or would you rather play in an air conditioned NFL arena?[/quote]. NFL arena ? No.[/quote]it was built to lure an NFL team to San Antonio. It may not be up to NFL standards of 2017, but it was built to those specs at the time and additional money has been poured into it over the years to keep it modern, though clearly not too of the line.