2017 XC

Cross Country is close to having their best year ever.

Men narrowly lost to Middle Tennessee at CUSA and the women WON for the first time in 20 years as well as having the individual CUSA champion!

Men have a shot at qualifying for NCAAs as a team which has NEVER happened by either squad. Women’s top runner and double all American Caroline Sang will be in the mix for top finisher at NCAA Regionals.

For those that don’t know how Cross Country works…

Your finishing place in race = your individual points for team score.

1st= 1 point 100th = 100 points.

Teams first 5 finishers make up team score.

To make NCAA’s…

Top 2 teams automatic from NCAA Regional (SE is all D1 schools from KY, VA, NC, SC close to 40 per gender)

Top 4 individuals not on an auto team (250+ runners per race).

At large: if you beat a ranked school or a school that earns an auto earlier in the season you earn points points then are used to decide at large teams.

SE Region is 11/10 in Louisville KY hopefully NCAA is doing some live streaming.

I’ve already told the staff I’ll add to my donation for XC if a team makes NCAA’s anyone else want to chip in? I’ll commit at least $250

They’ll need extra towards their budget for the top distance kids to go out west (CA) for the better track meets in the spring.

Good Luck to both M&W XC and congrats on a great season so far!

Congratulations to both teams!

[quote=“BleEDgreen49er, post:1, topic:31150”]Cross Country is close to having their best year ever.

Men narrowly lost to Middle Tennessee at CUSA and the women WON for the first time in 20 years as well as having the individual CUSA champion!

Men have a shot at qualifying for NCAAs as a team which has NEVER happened by either squad. Women’s top runner and double all American Caroline Sang will be in the mix for top finisher at NCAA Regionals.

For those that don’t know how Cross Country works…

Your finishing place in race = your individual points for team score.

1st= 1 point 100th = 100 points.

Teams first 5 finishers make up team score.

To make NCAA’s…

Top 2 teams automatic from NCAA Regional (SE is all D1 schools from KY, VA, NC, SC close to 40 per gender)

Top 4 individuals not on an auto team (250+ runners per race).

At large: if you beat a ranked school or a school that earns an auto earlier in the season you earn points points then are used to decide at large teams.

SE Region is 11/10 in Louisville KY hopefully NCAA is doing some live streaming.

I’ve already told the staff I’ll add to my donation for XC if a team makes NCAA’s anyone else want to chip in? I’ll commit at least $250

They’ll need extra towards their budget for the top distance kids to go out west (CA) for the better track meets in the spring.

Good Luck to both M&W XC and congrats on a great season so far![/quote]

OK - gotta go look up some stats now and see how far we’ve come since the year we won the Chapel Hill invitational :slight_smile:

EDIT: OK - I looked at the times - if that’s a legit 8k, this is probably the fastest team in Niner history. I am very impressed. I’m sure competition is a lot tighter now than 25 years ago, but even so, that’s impressive.

I’ll also add this: The schedule was extremely light. Extraordinarily so. Only 4 meets and then conference? Maybe they are on to something. That’s a sharp contrast to years past.

Congratulations are in order!

clt says the team seems to be on a good [move]run[/move]

Today’s methods for XC is to spend more time training than racing. Most of the guys are probably avg over 100+ miles a week and I’d imagine some of the women are near there too.

By not racing as much you reduce the chance of fizzling out to early and is pretty much the way the entire D1 operates these days.

Currently Men are ranked 8th in the SE the women aren’t ranked but new rankings come out tomorrow… I expect those to change in our favor.

ustfccca.org has rankings and info.

MTSU is ranked #22 in the nation and we held really close to them at CUSA. Regionals will be more competitive with more teams with how close our top 4 are if the the #5 has a break through day we may be able to nip a ranked team and get bumped in.

This is about to get exciting!

Run

Forrest

Run!

Caroline WINS the NCAA SE Regional and Punches her auto ticket to NCAA’s and has a great shot at top 10 at NCAA’s!!!

Men had highest team finish in School History 6th, only 4 individuals from NCAA Regionals will get Auto bids so the top 5 teams would need to go to NCAA’s (3-5 would be at large and 5th place Campbell is RV and was ranked 28th two weeks ago) for Charlotte’s top men’s finisher Tom Nobles to get a bid, however, Mountain West Region is extremely strong and may take most of the At Large Teams leaving him out…

Best news is Both Men and Women return their Full Squads Next Year, for Full Results:

http://flashresults.com/2018_Meets/xc/NCAASE/index.htm

www.ustfccca.org will post All At Large Teams

Congrats XC and GOOD LUCK AT NCAA’s!!!