2019 C-USA Football Preseason, Scores, and Rankings

Just giving fellow Niners options if they don’t want to directly support a platform that puts out crap like that App piece but still care to read the rankings of our players. Their choice to read the rankings directly or here. It wasn’t the whole article, so if they want to see the other teams it’s up to them.

You are pretty bent outta shape to be the one that looked at the article :grin:

1 Like

I’m guessing we see both Cam Clark and Alex Highsmith in the top 10.

What about Benny? Surely he’s top 10.

Safe bet you see 3 Niners in the top-10.

2 Likes

Clark, Lemay and Highsmith it is! :call_me_hand:t3:

2 Likes

The messed up thing is they left off Cruz. If he continues to progress as a kicker, he’s getting drafted in the 5th or 6th.

CUSA doesn’t have 10 players getting drafted a year, he deserves some respect IMO.

1 Like

Cruz will again make a significant contribution and difference in whether we win close games this year or not. He is KEY.

Agreed, it’s a good feeling that we finally have reliable kicker.

1 Like

Cruz has a ways to go to get drafted. I looked at his stats after last year and think I remember seeing his % made over 40 and under 40 were similar. He needs to clean up his short game.

1 Like

Lemay and highsmith will be there. Clark, I don’t know.

Niners well represented in top 10:

#5 LeMay
#6 Highsmith
#9 Clark

3 Likes

9. Cameron Clark: OL - Charlotte

It’s the opinion of this writer, that if Charlotte can get consistent play from the quarterback position in 2019, they have a chance to sneak up on teams in the East division.

The team isn’t lacking talent, landing three players in the top-10 of this list.

However, left tackle Cameron Clark might be the most crucial to their chances at success in 2019. Yes, Benny Lemay is a superstar in the backfield and Alex Highsmith wreaked havoc on opposing offenses last year.

What makes Clark of the utmost importance, is, by virtue of protecting the QB’s blindside (both Brett Kean and Chris Reynolds are right-handed passers), the passing game depends just as much on the play of Clark, as it does whoever is behind center.

The success of the 49ers aside, Clark is the real deal on the offensive line. Among returning C-USA tackles, the 6-5, 300-pound redshirt senior is the highest-rated by Pro Football Focus.

While he may have been overshadowed by the play of Nate Davis, Clark has been a reliable player in Charlotte, starting 18 straight games and 22 overall in 36 career contests.

6. Alex Highsmith: LB/DE - Charlotte

Alex Highsmith has the task of leading the Charlotte defense in 2019.

Not many college football walk-ons make it to be a top-10 player in their conference. But, after a dominating 2018 season, Alex Highsmith may be poised to take his place as the top defensive lineman in C-USA.

The senior hybrid DE/LB is coming off a monster junior season, in which he compiled 60 tackles and 17.5 tackles for loss. He’s third all-time in program history with a career 20 TFL’s for the 49ers.

What makes you take notice, is the fact that he’s played well against solid competition. He had 4.5 TFL’s against FAU and four, plus a sack against an SEC opponent in Tennessee.

Yes, Glenn Spencer is no longer there as defensive coordinator, however, there’s no denying that Highsmith has worked his way into one of the premier players in the league, and there’s no reason to think that will change in 2019.6. Alex Highsmith: LB/DE - Charlotte

5. Ben Lemay: RB - Charlotte

Ben Lemay is the real deal in Charlotte. Photo by Joel Auerbach/Getty Images
The numbers don’t tell the entire story when it comes to just how productive Benny Lemay was in 2018.

There weren’t many times when opposing defenses weren’t keying on the 5-9, 215-pound back. Despite facing seven- and eight-man fronts, Lemay rushed for 1,243 yards and 11 scores, en route to being named to the C-USA All-Conference second team.

His signature performance came against FIU in a late-season matchup. With bowl-eligibility on the line, he had a career-high 30 carries for 159 yards and a program-record four rushing touchdowns.

Although Charlotte lost that game, Lemay showed that he can play his best when the stakes are the highest.

2 Likes

Thanks for sparing that site more revenue-driven clicks. :sweat_smile: Just for the record, I…errr I mean the writer of the top-50 piece disagrees with the App State piece. But you know what they say about opinions.

1 Like

I just did 10 clicks on the piece so they can get something for their work $$$

Also doesn’t hurt to know who the other C-USA players are though #1 definitely wasn’t a surprise!

I’ll post a link to one of their articles too:

At first it had an image of Lambert, because they obviously didn’t know we switched coaches, and then when it got pointed out, they replaced it with this gem:

I’m more than happy to support them when they can be bothered to get their stuff right. The concept is good, but the accuracy needs improving, and when you post images of our program like the one above in an article not related to the last head coach’s ineptitude then I view it in the same light as the goon squad oh WFNZ talking shit about us too.

1 Like

I understand your POV. All jokes aside, there’s six of us who are on payroll from SBN. The rest of the contributions are by the article. So, click or no click, check is still there.

As for the choosing of pics, not making excuses. However, the selection can be limited, as Getty/USA Today don’t shoot a ton of C-USA games. I’ve taken my share of heat for using a picture of a pass being intercepted when talking about Victor Tucker.

That’s not by choice - it’s the only file photo we have of him.

Enjoy the site here. Love the passion and I’m looking forward to covering another game in Charlotte.

Okay, thanks for explaining your situation with the images. Appreciated. I suppose your articles are submissions from outside writers? If that’s the case then the excessive homerism in the App related articles makes more sense now.

2 Likes

No worries. I’d be pissed off myself as a fan w/o the explanation. And you nailed it. Outside of the two site editors and four of us who host the two podcasts and write/cover games, it’s freelancers. Sometimes, they’re affiliated with the school (as in the case with App State) or, they’re younger writers looking to beef up their portfolio.