2019 Niner Baseball Thread

We probably need to finish 4th for any shot at an NCAA bid. Hopefully our new guys can deliver.

And have a couple of impressive out of conference wins.

I would also like them to win one of their games at BB&T ballpark…I mean BB&T at Sun Trust Ballpark. From recent memory, I don’t think the Niners have ever won Uptown…may be wrong on that…but would love to beat State or Clemson this season.

We beat Wake Forest there last year 13-1. Have also beaten Georgia and Winthrop in Uptown. 3-4 record at BB&T Ballpark.

3 Likes

Ahh that’s right! That Wake game was a beating. 3-4 not bad, considering the competition.

clt says mr b knows 49er baseball

1 Like

Some pre-season material from Diamond9erFans:

2 Likes

Excellent write-up guys. Thanks the analysis!

2 Likes

Thanks to the DNF guys. :smile:

2 Likes

Starting Rotattion for this weekend has been announced:

Brooks and Cooner on Friday, Freshman Will Palinkas on Saturday.

Pitching is going to be a huge question mark this season. We will only go as far as our pitching can take us. I think our offense is strong enough to play with about anyone. We have filled holes nicely on that end.

Brooks had a decent season last year but was up and down. He started as our Friday guy but was quickly bumped to Saturdays by Maciejewski. Can he jump into that Friday role and be the solid ace for us this season? This is his junior season, which means a big year could bump him into a good spot in the draft.

Similar situation with Cooner. He was up and down as our Sunday guy last season, but is one of the few leftys we have on the roster. Can he step in to that Saturday role and be a consistent pitcher for us this year? As we have seen in the past, in order to get to that next level, we really need 2 high-end pitchers, with quality bullpen depth.

Then we have a Freshman getting the first shot at being the Sunday guy. I am really excited to see how Palinkas does. He looked strong this fall when I saw him pitch. Future looks bright with him and 2 or 3 freshman arms we have this season.

We lost a ton of bullpen innings from last season, but have some vets returning like Colby Bruce, Chase Gooding, and Carson Pinkney. Lot of young arms added that will get thrown in early. We do lack in lefties though. I think we only have 2 healthy lefties in teh pen right now, and neither has pitched for us yet.

Excited to see how the pitching staff develops over the season. Doty has done a great job in getting the most out of guys once they buy in (Colton Laws, Josh Maciejewski). I just hope we see everyone has bought in and put in the work.

1 Like

Saturday’s game (today) pushed to 2 PM.

The road contest at Clemson is now to be played at 4pm tomorrow because rain is forecast for all day Tuesday. Might be a nice road trip if anybody has Monday off.

1 Like

Nice sweep over Delaware over the weekend. Hibbs surpassed the 800 wins milestone.

Offense wasn’t great but was good enough when it counted. Pitching looked pretty good all weekend. Only allowed 7 runs in the 3 games. Defense was really solid, only 1 E on the weekend, several DPs, and Wheeler made some plays in CF.

Rafi had a huge opposite field HR in GAme 2 to put us on top, he batted .500 on the weekend from the DH spot and 1B. Yett had a clutch 2 Run bomb when we were tied on Saturday. Freshman Haney had a clutch hit on Friday to drive in 2. Overall the bats seemed a little rusty. I think we’ll see more production from them as the season rolls along. Excited that the pitching was able to get it done this weekend. Wasn’t sure they would be this far along this early.

Freshman Bryce McGowan will go today at #14 Clemson. They are also starting a highly touted freshman lefty. Hopefully that will work in our favor. The did lose 1 to South Alabama this weekend.

Tough loss to Clemson last night 7-6. Their freshman lefty dominated us. Threw upper 80’s from a 3/4 release. He had a no-hitter going through 5 until we got to him in the 6th. Once we got into their pen, we were able to put 5 runs up, to get within 1. Clemson brought in their closer to try for the 2 inning save and we were only able to tag him for 1.

Rafi had 2 RBI, Lynch and Yett both had RBI Doubles, and Ober drove in 1.

Our pitching was OK considering we started a Freshman, MCGowan looked pretty good, but I think our bullpen let us down a little. 2 guys made their D1 debut last night (Czanstkowsk & Earhart) and struggled a bit, giving up 4 in the middle innings. Sophomore Szczypinski had a great night out of the pen. Pretty much shut them out for 3 innings to allow for the comeback. Excited to see him making strides from last season to this season.

Looking forward to the re-match next month at BB&T Ballpark.

2 Likes

Szczypinski did a great job to give us a shot late. Looking forward to playing them again in BBT. Too many home runs given up in this one.

1 Like

Four home runs and five stolen bases. Fix those two things.

I think putting Yett at DH and bringing in one of the catchers would be worth trying. He can hit the ball well but isn’t always the best behind the plate. Plus I want to see my cousin play…

Young pitchers hold most of the blame for the stolen bases…Harris was gunning over the weekend.

1 Like

That’s true, he hosed at least one guy. I definitely have selfish reasons for that one. We need Harris in the game for sure!

You have to feel encouraged for the rematch, we were dominant once we got to their pen. Szczypinski was fantastic.