2021-22 MBB - Middle Tennessee @ Charlotte, 3/2 7:00 PM ESPN+

I donā€™t think he gets drafted in 2nd roundā€¦. Yet. I think most players should stay and graduate unless projected 1st round. He has some room to grow in his game.

I think his size is a major concern.

Uh, noā€¦

Hes 6ā€™1". There are plenty of 6ā€™1" point guards in the nba. His biggest issue, ino is his defense but for the people who so matter of factly state that he isnt an nba player, he is actually a projected 2nd rounder on some sites. I watch a lot of college hoops and i rarely see a point guard better than him.

A lot of people here said the same about Jon Davis. Jamir is closer to Davis than he is an NBA player.

Plusā€¦ Being a projected 2nd round pick on ā€œsomeā€ sites does not make you an NBA player. Most 2nd round players that actually get picked donā€™t even stick.

Heā€™s a very good CUSA caliber player on an average CUSA team that does nothing that is next level ā€œspecial.ā€ Heā€™s a good ball handler, good scorer, decent shooter, average defender and not necessarily a play maker (but that may have more to do with supporting cast). NBA point guards have to be excellent with at least 3 of those.

Maybe heā€™s got an outside shot of getting a 2nd round nod but Iā€™d be shocked if he actually doesā€¦but his chances of making a roster are miniscule as of right now.

Butā€¦ He does have another year to put in more work to change that narrative. Huge 1 year leaps are not uncommon.

But heā€™s not that guy right nowā€¦ IMO

I appreciate every single minute Jahmir Young plays for this program. He is a fantastic talent and based on everything I have seen a good guy and great representative for this university. I was stoked when we signed him, maybe more than anyone else on this forum (or at least I was just the most vocal about it). A star Dematha PG. I knew we were getting a special player. I will be extremely bummed when his time here is over. He is one of the best we have have ever had.

7 Likes

He could actually play 2 more years. If he did we might need to worry about how to handle him taking out Henryā€™s scoring title with a 5 year asterisk.

Yeah, was a great game and atmosphere, then took a little steam out of the win hearing that.

Agreed.

And just because I donā€™t think heā€™s got NBA potential doesnā€™t mean I donā€™t love him as a Niner.

LOVE Jobeyā€¦LOVE Diegoā€¦LOVE Pierriaā€¦LOVE Jarvisā€¦LOVE Basdenā€¦LOVE Henry

So much respect and love for those guysā€¦but most of those guys didnā€™t sniff the NBA and the ones that did barely got a sniff.

Heckā€¦arguably our greatest player of all time Henry Williams was a 2nd round draft pick that didnā€™t stick to the roster he was drafted to mostly because he was considered undersized at 6ā€™2". Henry is THE reason Iā€™m a Niners fan. Arguably the all time greatest scorer weā€™ve ever had, all time greatest shooter weā€™ve ever had, Top 10 in school history in steals, Freshman All American, HM All American Soph, Jr & Sr seasons. He was and is still considered one of the most accomplished and greatest talents weā€™ve ever hadā€¦but was 6ā€™2". A 2nd round draft pick that made his career overseasā€¦and he is easily my favorite Niner of alltime.

6ā€™2" bit Henryā€™s NBA aspirations despite all of his talentā€¦ just donā€™t see Jahmir being a better prospect than Henry was at a similar size.

But the NBA is different nowā€¦so who knows.

LOVE Jahmir regardless of where he plays pro ball. A Niner All-Timer no doubt.

2 Likes

The way game is now I think guys like Henry and Jobey would have a good chance. Snipers are in vogue

I think playing Jahmir 36 minutes a game hurts him when evaluating his Pro potential. I would love to see Jahmir play 28 to 30 minutes a game. He would be more aggressive on both of sides of the ball in my opinion and would still average the same number of points but showcase his defensive skills more.

1 Like

Since ive followed the program in 2010, Young might be our best player. To me its between him and PH. Appreciate what Davis did for the program, but IMO young and PH are a step above what davis was.

I was just looking up PH the other day and i think hes on a million dollar contract overseas. I couldnt find the details, but from what i can tell he is having a good, well paid career.

To that point I think Young may can play overseas but I have my doubts about the NBA

I consider PH our best player since the Lutz days.

Had size, could play defense, rebound, was a playmaker, was a mis-match problem, was a scorer and a decent shooter but his shot got better and better throughout his career.

Like Henry Williamsā€¦he could have been a 6th man or a role player in the NBA but both chose to be stars and get paid mad bank overseas.

Sometimes it ainā€™t about the NBA itā€™s where you can make bank and create a legacy!

1 Like

It kills me that we are going to end up wasting 3 really really good PGs under 3 mediocre to bad coaches and not have anything more than 1 NIT to show for it.

4 Likes

Eh, I liked PH but he was never gonna play in the league. Huge Onions but could not shoot a lick from outside. Great defender and good leader, but not an NBA game

2 Likes

Just thought I remember someone close to him pretty certain he was signing on a couple of occassions when his foreign contracts were upā€¦I know Boston invited him to play with their Summer League team but the most recent interest was from the Timberwolvesā€¦

But I assume his bench role opportunity and min base term/$$ of the contract paled in comparison to what he was getting overseas.

I know his shooting ability was what kept him from being an NBA guy but all of his other tools could have possibly garnered him a spot on a roster.

Againā€¦being NBA worthy of a roster spot is not the same as being an NBA contributor.

Weā€™ve had a ton of really great 49ers in our history and only 2 really played and 1 really made it in the NBA.
Cornbread was the real deal. And Rodney White had every NBA skill to be a 1st round pick but didnā€™t have the desire & work ethic.
Other than that, all of our other all time greats are great 49ers but not NBA guysā€¦Henry got a taste, Dink got a taste, Demarco got a taste, Eddie got a taste.

A bunch of great Niners in our history but most donā€™t translate to the NBAā€¦the NBA is just a different animal.

I thought Withers had a chance to be a Ben Wallace type guy. His only issue was hands but he was a MAN.

Bottom line is you have to be the elite of the elite to play in the league. Those dudes are amazing. Most are just absolute freaks of nature.

1 Like

Henry W was the one I thought coulda been really good in the league but back then they considered him a tweener. You donā€™t really hear guys called that anymore. Not really a 1,2,3,4,5 position game anymore

1 Like

If PH could shoot, heā€™d be in the league. No question about it. He had everything else he needed.