2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Wow!

I predict many sec teams with similar records vs Texas in the future.

2 Likes

Yep reality is going to dawn on these super conference types in about 5-6 years when they realize that reliable winning seasons are a thing of the past. I wonder what will happen to fan support then? And you will see more coaches revered at their institutions get cut too.

Sorta wondering if Patterson’s comments on NIL etc had something to do with the decision. Have posted about that in the NIL thread - link below provides an some insight on that:

Traylor mentioned too per TCU opening:

It’s for this reason that I think the super conference won’t be long for the world. At some point these blue blood programs want some wins.

This is not my quote. It’s from Tim Vickery of the The World Football Fone In talking about a Euro super league years ago. Something along the lines of super leagues make big clubs small and small clubs tiny.

That’s what’s happening to many college football teams in this world of consolidation.

It’s probably worse in college football that to would be in pro soccer cause at least at the pro level you can conceivably compete on pay.

There are only so many Vanderbilts in the P5 to prop up the mediocre teams and give them winning seasons. These super conferences are going to force some proud fanbases into that role and some winning programs into mediocrity, and I wonder how much patience the pampered fanbases are going to have with that.

I’m thinking not much.

I don’t think much at all. At some point it just doesn’t work. I think we will see the 4 or 5 16 teams super leagues and then we will see many of those break back a part and form smaller 10/12 team leagues. The one thing I am certain of is that realignment is never over.

As long as people demand winners for their money it will never be over. The ADs are at their mercy without a collective infrastructure and a draft, so they will bend over backwards into whatever scheme in attempts to capitulate.

1 Like

Grantham has got quite a resume… A ton of experience but he has bounced around a bit too much. Doesn’t look like he has ever developed any staying power. He must be well liked in the industry / interview extremely well:

1990–1991 Virginia Tech (DE/ILB)
1992–1993 Virginia Tech (DT)
1994–1995 Virginia Tech (DL)
1996–1997 Michigan State (DL)
1998 Michigan State (AHC/DL)
1999–2001 Indianapolis Colts (DL)
2002–2004 Houston Texans (DL)
2005–2007 Cleveland Browns (DC)
2008–2009 Dallas Cowboys (DL)
2010–2013 Georgia (AHC/DC/OLB)
2014–2016 Louisville (AHC/DC/LB)
2017 Mississippi State (AHC/DC/LB)