2022-23 C-USA Basketball šŸ€

2 Likes
1 Like

I have no doubt fau will offer him a million or more a year on a new contract because they have a history of paying coaches well on the football side.

He will get over offers for more thoug Iā€™m sure.

With faus poor facilities I canā€™t imagine him staying. Building a sustained winner with facilities like that is impossible.

2 Likes

Some think Penn State could be next stop for May:

Figure he is gone too.

But if FAU does keep him, maybe they can use the momentum to replace that ridiculous H.S. gym.

They recently got a $7.5 million gift to name that shack tooā€¦

Damn, the cupcakes sure are making waves in tournament play.

1 Like

Iā€™ve visited the campus of FAU. They have plenty of space on campus to build a new arena. A bigger arena could attract a variety of events year round in Boca Raton.

They could host the CBI !!!

2 Likes

With FAU advancing to the Elite 8, how much money is CUSA getting? More specifically, will we see any of that money?

Its kinda complex because the totals are paid out over six years I believe and is based on how many wins a team/conference has. Not sure how that will work as teams move around. Last year a win was worth $338,887.

This article explains it pretty well.

https://boardroom.tv/mens-ncaa-tournament-distribution-unit-worth/

Typically the conference (USA) retains the units / credits when a team exits.

2 Likes

He should stay in Boca. The marketā€¦.

Have I missed the tournament runs for Monmouth, Presbyterian, UMass, Detroit Mercy, Coppin St and Md Eastern Shore??

Yep. Totally miss the point. The conference is the conference. Nothing we could do about that.

Call me silly but I think playing a good OOC schedule is better than playing walkovers for wins. We might get our answer this baseball season. Totally different approach to scheduling

In my day we called playing a soft schedule a certain word that isnā€™t particularly PC these daysā€¦.

I would be utterly shocked if Sanchez doesnā€™t try to schedule up this fall if he brings his core team back.

If he doesnā€™t, then we have a legitimate gripe.

I think this postseason run we have had, plus the other CUSA ā†’ AAC teams have had, plus moving up to a higher profile conference, is going to help us get a couple of quality OOC games that we need.

And to that end, the gamble to play in the CBI is probably going to pay off.

4 Likes

FAU startes are one Junior and the rest sophmores and freshman. He can bide his time on next move for another year. With his squad he will compete for the AAC title next year and another NCAA appearance till some more Southern jobs open up. He will also get a nice raise this off-season to hold him over. Money and Boca are a nice combination. Ask Jeff Mullins.

2 Likes

Out of Conference schedule was easier than expected. Most of the teams we played had a lower NET ranking this year than in 2022. That is not our fault. However, the biggest difference was we did play 2 (Arkansas and Wake) P5 teams in 2022 that hurt our OOC schedule this year.

Most of us, still did not expect Charlotte to win over 15 games this year, so the team overachieved based on preseason expectations and we still have all the complaining.

The fact that we only expected to win 15 games in year 5 against a bad schedule should be telling, not that we surpassed that number

Yep, the fans either undervalued the talent on the team or overestimated how good the teams are that we played.

Just a reminder about May - that vid of him with Jeff Goodman was pretty telling of how he feels about the beach, ocean, etc. Thatā€™s not going to keep him in South Florida. And since heā€™s a Midwesterner, the appeal of being closer to ā€œhomeā€ could very well be a factor in any decision to move.