2022-23 College Basketball 🏀

Green Wave also in Costa Rica:

Sports Illustrated: SEC Commissioner Says It’s Time to Take a ‘Fresh Look’ at March Madness.

Sankey coming for our autobid.

2 Likes
1 Like

Lack of auto bids is going to make a very dull tournament. The only reason to watch is to see some team from the G5 take out one of the big boys. Especially now that the P5 is now basically professional sports.

3 Likes

Mr Sankey the Christmas Poo

Mr Hankey Christmas GIF by South Park

2 Likes

No automatic bids no tournament. Period. That’s the line in the sand. If they are taken away just pack it up.

7 Likes

Would make the NIT relevant again

Just makes no sense to do this in basketball. Underdogs who got in with an automatic bid have proven repeatedly that they can make deep runs in the tournament. Those teams belong in the tournament and taking them away would be a huge mistake.

2 Likes

1 Like

Pretty much. It’s why I’ve started preferring pro sports

I’ve gone the other way. The only prosports I watch now are soccer. The crazy thing is I don’t miss it. NFL and NBA were huge passions. Now? Just don’t really care.

Truthfully the pandemic showed me I could easily do without any of it

2 Likes

I think a decent number of people are seeing that. Pandemic shutdowns really opened some eyes about time and money spent on some of this.

College to me was part about winning and part about helping kids going to my school get an education. It is getting so far from that that I can easily see a day I walk away from it too. If the kids become employees? I just don’t see me supporting that.

clt ranks pro sports

Nfl
MLB
Mls
F1

Others

NFL
College Football (for now)
Golf
College Hoops
NBA Playoffs
MLB Playoffs

However, when the Niners are on TV it pretty much trumps everything.

I really like the CWS and LLWS but those are just a couple of weeks

2 Likes

The best thing about baseball, soccer, golf, basketball, etc., is that, on day one, every team in the country has a theoretical path to the national title. Some of those paths may be easier than others because of at-large bids, etc., but every team has a non-zero chance when they step out for the first game.

College football is the only sport in collegiate athletics that can’t be said for. You can go undefeated and never get a chance (and it’s not like a very basic model would be hard to put together - 10 autobids and 2 at-large bids with the top 4 seeds getting a first round bye).

So while the Niners have almost zero chance to win the national title in basketball, at least it’s not definitively zero at the opening buzzer.

6 Likes