2022-23 MBB - Charlotte @ FIU, 1/5 7:00 PM ESPN+

Niners lead the series 8-5 and have won the past four meetings. Panthers (6-7, 0-2 C-USA) currently #289 in the NET. Ugh!

I’m very pleased with what Brice has done lately, but I am also looking for us to get back to some balanced team scoring in this one.

5 Likes

0sdZvy4A

No! Brice for 35 tomorrow, lol.

We should continue to play as a team. Each player doing what they can to help all teammates and themselves score, no matter the player. Focusing on one player or trying to get any one player to carry the load (not playing as a complete team) is usually a recipe for losing. If anyone gets 35 in the natural flow of the game, so be it. But it must be in the flow of the game as a TEAM FOCUS.

6 Likes

This x1000. I am excited for Brice but his two big games were an outcome of the team executing. I am convinced we are better this year - without Jamir - because we have better ball movement and no one is selfish or the ‘go-to-guy’ so in reality anyone can get the hot hand and have a big night.

That does create a risk if we are struggling to score or the game is down to the wire because we need guys to step up, but what encourages me is that if we need a basket, there are several guys and many options to get one. We don’t have to rely on the zipper play to a guard for a corner three as our primary set play and that is refreshing to see!

4 Likes

This is one of those “must” win sort of games. FIU is not a particularly good team; just the sort of team we should beat. Stumble tonight and that’s a problem moving forward. Beat the weak teams, steal some from better or equal like FAU on Saturday.

3 Likes

Not to be a contrarian here but you need a guy that in tight spots can say give me the ball and get the hell out of my way if you want to win big

5 Likes

I’d rather that be in crunch time and not what our offense is predicated on. From possession to possession I believe our willingness to pass the ball and setup teammates is a strength that we need to not get away from.

3 Likes

I agree with you and Hootie. I think our offense can lead to unpredictability for the defense and make them struggle. This is great at anytime in the game. I also think that if the shot clock is coming to an end or you must have a bucket that you need that guy that says give me the ball. The unpredictability is great, but then you have 5 guys that may take that shot. Many shrink in that moment, and I think that is why you need that person who isn’t afraid of the moment regardless of the results.

1 Like

Totally agree. It’s a classic trap game where we risk looking ahead vs preparing for the team we play tonight. Can’t assume anything or take anything for granted and as all true Niner fans know, we have a history of allowing scrubs to have career nights! If we go cold, get too complacent on offense and they get hot then it could be a terrible night. Hoping the team has matured since Detroit Mercy on the road and hungry to win!!

1 Like

You can take over a game in the flow of the offense. As long as Brice doesnt play hero ball then it’s all good. One thing we have struggled with under Ron - even with Jahmir, was when we hit a scoring drought just getting a bucket to get the team going again. It is best to have an offensive weapon you feel you can go to when you have to get those points.

2 Likes
2 Likes

How bad is FIU? What is the view on this…… will finish in bottom tier but better than typical bottom tier??

Beatable but not UTSA bad. UTSA is forecast to lose every CUSA game.

So yesterdays evening flight to Miami was canceled. Team had to fly out ay 730am today so that means they had to be up and at the airport early. Less than ideal. Hope they have the energy at tip.

clt says they should have taken Biff Air

1 Like