2022-23 MBB - Charlotte @ WKU 1/21 7:00 PM ESPN+

Niners make their final trip to WKU (11-8, 3-5 C-USA) as a member of Conference USA. Toppers lead the series 24-14 and have won the past two meetings. CLT is 2-15 in Bowling Green, with most recent victory at Diddle coming in February 2020.

No reason to expect us to win a conference road game till we do, Sanchez needs to go.

3 Likes

1 Like

ESPN matchup predictor:

Charlotte 49.6% / WKU 50.4%

Dreams of top 4/5 quickly fading. We have the talent needed to win the league. It isn’t the OOC was too weak as we have proven we can play with the top of the league, it’s simply that we aren’t maximizing the talent. As another post mentioned it just comes down to a few things here and there during the game. That’s on the coaching staff. They have adjusted from year 1 and they have made some in game adjustments and have improved as a staff, it just isn’t good enough. I’ve been told Ron’s demeanor to the public and his fire with the team is intense, but I think we need to see it. Right now it seems like he’s just too ok with not being better.

Ron has literally said in multiple interviews…after wins and losses: “It’s not about the wins or losses for me.” WTF???

He doesn’t prioritize winning…he even says it. How can we compete for championships with a coach that doesn’t care about wins or losses???

And the soft schedule does hurt in the fact that if your team is not challenged out of conference, they aren’t battle tested enough to know how to grind out a tough win against a tough conference team. They just know how to beat a scrub team by 20. Even worse…the coach doesn’t have a chance to learn how to close out a tough team in a tight game down the stretch either. What rotations work, what plays work, what strategies work best for us in those situations…because we only learned how to beat scrub teams by 20.

That’s making the assumption too that he has the capacity to do anything different anyway…all he seems to do for all 40min regardless of score or circumstance is: Run packline on defense, run the princeton offense and make sure Threadgill gets 47+ min per game.

His in game situational coaching seems to be limited to just player rotations.

So it probably makes sense that it’s not about wins or losses to him. He acts like it.

2 Likes

What a weak out of conference schedule did was that it inflated the fan bases perception of where we were as a program, and led to unrealistic expectations, most of the fan base got hyped about our level of play early based upon a solid W/L record with a weak strength of schedule, we are an improved team but we are not in the upper echelon of our conference where we as a fan base expected to be this deep into the tenure of Sanchez

1 Like
1 Like

stan marsh steps GIF by South Park

clt says we are focused on pillars, not wins

Its not about our schedule. We were a better team earlier in the season. Rons teams dont improve, get scouted and fail to adjust

5 Likes

This…we were better early in the year, especially on offense but somewhat even on defense.

1 Like

If we were as good now as we were early in the season, we would have no more than 2-3 losses

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone got overly confident based on the early season. What we did say was the team looked Ike’s better than it had previously, which is true and that we ere optimistic about conference play, which also has made sense as we have been in every single game.

I don’t think anyone thought based on the early part of the season that we were destined to dance. I said based on the early conference we can beat every team in the league. That isn’t a lie. We can. We just haven’t.

5 Likes

Everyone talks about the talent we have but I just don’t think our
1 and 2 spots are that strong. Need good Guard play to beat the press
and handle end of game situations well.

I agree, regardless of competition we had better flow earlier in the season.

Haven’t seen anything about Stansbury since he went on a health-related leave just before Christmas. Toppers AHC Phil Cunningham has been serving as interim, during which time WKU is 3-5.

I’d love to see Folkes, Gipson, Brice, Igor, and Aly as the starting lineup.

3 Likes

Anyone going to the watch party at NODA?
Does anyone really care at this point?
I don’t think anything really matters until the conf tournament.