2022-23 MBB - Rice @ Charlotte, 2/25 4:00 PM ESPN+

Love how Brice slammed the door with three 3’s in last few minutes and how he was determined to take his man on offense. He was also very competitive on the glass and played better defense.
Folkes came out and dominated his man in the first 5 minutes to get us going.
Patterson has been a beast last few games.
Gipson played really well and has been getting things going on the offense.

Like the Defensive intensity. I hope they have turned the corner and can keep the momentum

9 Likes

I am holding my breath, but really hope we are getting hot at the right time for once since I started following the program in 2010.

4 Likes

Please realize this is just my take from what I saw. Beginning of 2nd half. Ron pulls starters including Brice and lays into them for good minute of action. Ron then reinserts Brice and starters and Brice goes on his run pretty much taking over. Rice calls TO after we go up big. On the way to bench Sanchez tries to high five Brice but was ignored. Brice continues to dominate rest of 2nd half. At the end those last 3’s Brice took early in shot clock when it was obvious Ron wanted to burn the clock seemed like a F you old man type of shot selection from Brice. Why else do you shoot those in that situation with the way Ron coaches and the look on Ron’s face after the shots at the end said it all. Then came the lecture after the game. Was quite interesting and again just my take.

Interesting take. I personally did not see what you saw. I do think they were pulled due to their waning effort on D and should have. Couple of easier buckets was the result and thus the pull to refocus.

I don’t think Brice’s three 3’s to slam the door on them were to show up coach. Coach has been saying all season, and especially to Brice, to shoot good, open shots. At times our team is too unselfish or unwilling to be “the guy”, except Patterson who will try and take his man in crunch time.

Just my two cents. Doesn’t mean I am right

4 Likes

Your take might be more on point. It is hard to get a read on Brice and how he fits on with this team. All the lectures yesterday were something new. I guess we will find out in time where everyone stands.

One undeniable fact is Brice is a hell of a talent when he is locked in. When he zones in like yesterday he looks like one of the best athletic offensive players we have had in a long time.

3 Likes

Yeah I think you read too much into it. I sit right behind the bench. Brice just is controlling his temperament. He just missed the five because t house guys were in a group, and came back and gave him the five.

Ron has been VERY vocal, and has opened up the offense to more fast breaks. There have been several instances where coaches have been screaming to rush the ball down court and we either did, or the players missed it and slowed it down.

For all his faults, something has changed lately. He has switched the lineup, and I’m not sure JT got more than 20-25 min last game. He has finally realized Folkes’ energy controls this team better and he has flourished. I hope this is a sign of things to come, not just the normal spurt we have seen the past 5 years before the immediate choke and let down. Time will tell.

2 Likes

Good to know. Brice shooting those 3s late were daggers but time and place said odds are against those shots.

I was worried to see him pull them out, because I was scared the old Ron would leave them on the bench for 5 or more minutes. But they sat and got their ass chewed fora min, then all three came back in. It was great.

1 Like

Heaven forbid anyone even suggest on here that the coaching staff is making adjustments or motivating players to be better or improving how they perform since they got here or that we’re starting to win more. It does not fit the rhetoric.

We have some pillars, we just need a couple of roof raisers. Maybe Brice steps up next year as a consistent one, maybe Ron can bring one or two in freshman or transfers. With the player development that those that actually attend or watch the games can see in Aly, Folkes, and Brice’s all round games and yes even Jackson to a lesser degree. I would like to think if most of the key parts return next year, with a couple of key contributors added, that we’ll be ready to compete in AAC2.0

If we instead start regressing like we did during Bobby’s last years, then yes, it will be time to move on. Hopefully with the team in a much better place than at anytime since CUSA1.0

4 Likes

This is spot on from my seat behind the bench as well. Was nothing more than a coach correcting an issue he wasn’t happy with and the player responding. Ron also mentioned the two threes at the end the one he stated they yelled for him to shoot it.

That conversation with the players made me chuckle as Ron was as pissed off as I had seen him all year.

3 Likes

I was glad to see fire in the belly from Ron. I’d like to see that consistently.

4 Likes

Actually what he said was the first one was an open good shot and he yelled to take it. The last two he said… no no no yes! Just like the rest of us

2 Likes

I had both hands up when he shot all three. I knew they were good. He had that look in his eyes.

5 Likes