2022 Baseball Week 3- Gardner-Webb, Purdue (C-USA TV), Western Illinois

5 runs in the last 3 innings for GW.

Bullpen needs to be better. Going to cost this team a lot of losses / potential victories.

Well, its possible different guys would be pitching in a closer game.

2 Likes

Great outing from Brooks!! 6 IP, 7 K, 1 BB, 3 H, 0 R.

Bats came alive: McCabe 3-3 with 2 bombs. The second one he didn’t even square up and pushed it out opposite field. Amazing!!

Butch is starting to come out of his slump with a massive bomb. Suarez with his 1st collegiate HR filling in for Knight. Cunningham with 4 hits.

Took care of business tonight. Pretty good crowd for a Tuesday night too.

1 Like

We were up 10-0, time to get some of the new arms some work. Especially with 5 games this week. The game was never in doubt.

2 Likes

Another big test today, with 8-0 Purdue coming to the Hayes. Looks like they like to run. Our Ps & Cs need to get better at slowing the run game.

‘The Boilermakers have racked up 35 stolen bases during their 8-0 start (4.4 per game), ranking second nationally entering the week.‘

Understood. That may have been situational. I’m just not crazy about how the bullpen has performed so far this season. Seems to be our biggest weakness along with allowing too many stolen bases.

Way too many stolen based. Don’t know if they have been on the catcher (most likely) or pitcher but needs to be corrected.

Purdue has actually been in NC for awhile. Sandwich a trip to CLT with 2 weekends in Holly Springs. I would have been fine if this game was in Holly Springs just down the road from me :slight_smile:

https://twitter.com/charlottebsb/status/1499034149998718987?s=21

The SBs are just a little concerning but I think that’s just WVUs style of baseball. We allowed 16 SBs to WVU, the other 4 games we’ve played we’ve allowed 1 total.

WVU ranks 4th in the country in SBs, Purdue ranks 2nd.

Hope we just keep them off base and don’t have to worry about them running.

From their game article, looks like we are going with Paxton Thompson today. His first start as a 49er.

Probable Pitching Matchup: Wyatt Wendell (R-Jr, RHP) vs. Charlotte’s Paxton Thompson (So, RHP)

No Knight or Madole. Wathan behind the plate today.

1 Like

Lost the video fee at the middle of the 7th - hope they get it back. Down a run

Still down a run, top of 8th

Uggg. We had 2 on and no outs, but got none across.

been leaving a lot of runners on base today

So 4-4… time to panic or a lot of season still left to turn it around? Is this years bunch less talented than last year or just haven’t clicked yet? I know we lost some good players in the off season.

Let’s panic. What would this board be if not for panic??!

6 Likes

Does this 4-4 team resemble a tourney team?

For those who haven’t been paying attention to the team:

We are 8 games into a 56 game schedule.

This team is not feeding off of cupcakes like many other schools have been doing early on in the season. We have played really good teams so far, with the only exception being Gardner-Webb. The teams we’ve played other than GW have a combined record of 30-9.

We are also missing some pretty big pieces in the line-up. Our starting 1B hasn’t played yet, but should be back soon (he pinch hit today). We’ve also been without All-American Austin Knight for the past 4.5 games. He pinch hit today also, so he may be ready to come back this weekend. The lineup looks different when you have him in there.

On the mound, we are still figuring out what everyone’s roles are going to be. Lots of new arms this year. Aside from a couple of hiccups, overall I think we’ve pitched well so far.

4 Likes