🏈 2023 49er Football Week #1 - Charlotte vs South Carolina State 9/2 6:00 PM ESPN+

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Think about it this way: if we go up by 21 at the half, and coach starts playing seconds and thirds in the second half, with generic play calling, then SC State gets a couple of last minute scores to make the game appear closer than it was…Is that so terrible? Do you need them to pull out their entire playbook to run up the score, when doing so would only give Maryland more to prepare for?

1 Like

If our second and thirds can’t maintain a 21 point lead then that spells trouble for the rest of the year.

3 Likes

With a team so new to playing together no rotational players should be pulled until into the 4th quarter no matter the score. The 1s and their rotational back ups have to learn how to get a lead, hold a lead and play together. We need to see a total 3+ quarter domination without totally
Opening the playbook.

I expect the first half to be fairly even with a relatively close half time score, but the third quarter is where we should see us take the game.

This team absolutely has to get things straight playing MD next.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/Hunter_Bailey45/status/1696149478770905506

1 Like

I hope not. If we are going to compete to be in the top half of the American we need to do better than that.

FCS school Jackson State was up 17-0 at halftime this weekend and controlled the game wire to wire. We need to be at a dead minimum as good as that or were going to have a long season.

4 Likes

No but based on how they looked against jsu, they shouldnt be anle to score against our 2nd and 3rd string. Especially bc theyd probably have theirs in too

Anything short of 70-12 will be disappointing. I have already seen it on the scoreboard

3 Likes

Frustrating amount of tickets unsold online, not sure why we’re selling corner section seats at $50 a piece. Really hope we can get closer to a sellout by the end of the week

Corner seats for $50 against an FCS opponent is not sound marketing.

I am hoping for some good “walkup” / GameDay purchases based on a pretty decent weather forecast.

2 Likes

Agree, It is the first game. Everybody needs some reps.
Got a lot of games to play. Don’t open up the playbook or
get a starter hurt in the 4th quarter. Just play a solid game
and get the W.

1 Like

If you watch college football regularly even massively outgunned teams often hang in during the first half. 21-7 or 17-3 something like that. Usually because they ride their starters as long as they can. It’s during the third quarter the more talented and deeper team usually starts to open a large lead. Then you see a 3rd quarter score of 34-7 or something along those lines.

I mean look at our game vs South Carolina last year. I’m not saying we won’t dominate, but I’m also saying the other team is going to be playing hard to win too. The talent gap usually shows itself during late 2nd and early 3rd.

I’m not gonna be upset if different, but a closer than we might want first half isn’t that big a deal based on How many games flow.

1 Like

K. But they were getting smoked by an FCS team. If we are who we say we are we need to be leaps and bounds ahead of jackson state. It’s a little early to start making excuses.

I want to see the 49ers dominate in the trenches and Jones and the offense find a good rhythm.

Would like to see consistent QB pressure especially on passing downs as well.

I think we will win this game comfortably. My focus is on how well we execute and gel as a team.

1 Like

I’m not saying we won’t win by 30 or more. What I am saying is if the other team hangs in there for a bit it’s ok and is typical of college football as a whole.

I watched an undefeated bama team that went on to win a title struggle with I think it was Troy in the first half before winning by like 50 one year.

I expect to dominate the line of scrimmage and win easily as both teams are forced to rotate players. I also expect our first game as a staff with a roster dominated by new faces to take a bit to click.

Those aren’t excuses. It’s reality. If we don’t win easily I do think that’s a bad sign.

1 Like

Rob Lowe Football GIF by SoFi

https://twitter.com/CLTGoldMine/status/1696197746686935512

1 Like

Less than 300 GA seats left (if my count is correct), that’s pretty nice. I’d imagine those will go before majority of the corner seats. May not get to a sell-out but should be a nice crowd.

4 Likes

Question - haven’t looked into this yet, but what’s the easiest way to transfer tickets? Trying to get my tickets to my Dad, but he detests doing ANYTHING on his phone (he has macular degeneration)

This isn’t the NFL where a win is a win. Teams are measured by who they beat and by what margin. Not as much as basketball, but beating SC State by 1 point or by 40 points is a big difference in how the team is perceived. Also, I hope our playbook is big enough that we gameplan for the opponent and don’t have certain plays we run all the time.

3 Likes