2023 49er Football Week #12 Charlotte vs Rice 11/18 2:00 PM ESPN+

Yeah certainly seems like recruiting from the portal is a better idea these days. Stupid to develop HS guys that can then leave.

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™m naive but I still believe there are high school students that would enjoy playing all four years in one place.

I think there are - but those kids arent the highly recruited ones - and even the ones that think that as HS srs, should they end up team leaders in something and they can go somewhere and make $$$ it would be hard to keep them.

1 Like

Seems to me, for G5 you redshirt a freshman, he then starts two years, develops, makes an all-conference 3rd team, heā€™s gone for NIL and P5.

P5 over-recruits talent, stock-piles talent that never plays, kid sits for two or three years because he gets over-recruited or over-portaledā€¦thatā€™s who can be brought into G5.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/camwillsports/status/1724771163094540471?t=WLmLTG0zV9uyPHAguPazAQ&s=19

That makes no sense to me. You need to consider he is recruiting great players with this same line of communications. He is not being negative towards Charlotte whatsoever. It is quite the opposite.

You could be right. I think a lot of it is how recruits see it. I dont want to be viewed as the, ā€œif things dont work out, i can always trasfer to unccā€ type program. Im definitely for p5 transfers but they need to be guys who can play, not just recruit them bc they were o5. Also, dont neglect fcs talent

Yeah I think going heavy portal with football is probably better in todays landscape (you need the right guys of course). I used to think you needed a good mix of recruits and portal players (still do for basketball) but football you can do well going heavy portal.

• portal
  • high school
0 voters

clt asks what should we focus on for the croots?

Walk ons

This may need its own thread, but I am the total opposite. If you are a high level HS recruit and things donā€™t work out at Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, etc., give Charlotte a call. I would 100% take a roster of former 4* and 5* transfers over 2* and no star development guys. We are still going to land our fair share of 3* HS commits, but I say you hit more 2* duds than 4* and 5* transfer duds. Bottom line though, it is all about coaching and developing. Easier to develop a 6-3, 195 4.4 speed DB than it is a 5-11, 170 4.6 speed DB.

I agree. If we become known as a school that takes P5 kids that didnā€™t get a chance to prove themselves at the P5 schoolā€¦and they are able to thrive and develop hereā€¦thatā€™s a pretty damn good recruiting pitch.

Sit the bench at a P5 or come here to play and develop and give yourself a shot at ā€œThe Leagueā€

Like HS recruiting we need to be able to evaluate and identify which ones can thrive hereā€¦and we need to be able to develop themā€¦but that could be a great reputation to have for recruiting and having success with those kids.

I think it would a very positive thing to be known for.

3 Likes

Im glad you said that. 2nd snd 3rd stringers at blue bloods are one things. Its another if its a backup at northwestern or some crappy p5. I just dont like using tge umbrella term of p5 when there are a lot of bad p5 programs.

That is what Cincinnati did when they made the CFP. Their star RB was 3rd string at Bama and couldnā€™t get on the field.

They had a few guys like that as I recall.

For anyone coming Saturday, itā€™s the Last game of the season Saturday and you all know we like to party but our tailgate has always been about more than that - from raising money For the Ratliffs to school supplies we always strive to do more. Please bring some products for our food drive Saturday for the student pantry. With inflation costs this is needed more now than ever. We had a light donation last week, letā€™s make it up this week!

5 Likes

Have 2 seats and West Deck parking pass for anyone who wants it. Wifeā€™s birthday Saturday and I wonā€™t be able to make the game. Section 109 towards the top.

Send me a PM

Tickets no longer available.

https://twitter.com/BigGameBoomer/status/1725199411460915326

:eyes:

6 Likes

clt says poor nevada

Too bad every other NC team is on the road this weekend.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/AtTheRoost/status/1725521675603653071