2023 49er Football Week #3 - Charlotte vs Georgia State 9/16 6:00 PM ESPN+

Niners take on a red hot 2-0 Ga State team on Saturday night at the Rich, after defeating UConn 35-14 (this same UConn team hung with NC State, losing 24-14 at home). Ga State won their first game 42-35 vs URI.

Georgia State opens the season with two wins for the first time since 2019
Marcus Carroll rushed for 107 yards and three touchdowns, quarterback Darren Grainger added 142 yards on the ground and a score, and Georgia State beat UConn 35-14 on Saturday.

Highlights: College Football Scores - Sun Belt Conference 2023 Season - ESPN

Post game presser:

Team Stats:

This is a run heavy GSU team - 250 yards vs UConn and 481 yards & 7 TDs on the year, though they also have 337 passing yards and 3 TDs through 2 games.

Early line has Charlotte +9. ESPN FPI predicts a GSU win.

49ers were 20 pt dogs last season in ATL, but pulled off the 42-41 upset win. Panthers will be hungry for revenge.

Not sure if we are going to get a full injury report, but regardless of that, and the GSU motivation, this is a home game that we MUST WIN if we have any postseason aspirations.

1 Like

Strength vs Strength, We shut down their run and they struggle to find a passing game they didn’t think they’d need. We win big.

3 Likes

Our run defense is 110 out of 130, this needs to improve prior to conference play…. And they have a running QB.

Their qb is a very good passer too

My biggest concern: they can score. 38.5 PPG through 2 games.

Last year we beat them in a shootout using our talented WR group and Reynolds was still relatively healthy.

This year’s team is not setup to win a shootout, and unless we can sustain drives on offense, worried that our banged up defense will wear out again in the 2nd half against their run game.

We have to keep their offense off the field. That means sustained offensive drives not just defensive stops.

2 Likes

I have 2 extra for the game Saturday. Aisle seats Section 109 with cushioned seat backs.
Also have a parking pass for tailgate available. Rooftop Orange CRI deck - allows for 1 car and includes one additional space for tailgating. Inquire with any questions. $50 obo for all

:tickets:Tickets gone - tailgate parking still available

3 Likes

kate upton art GIF by G1ft3d

clt agrees with biff, this game is huge

Need to win this game to be in contention for a bowl. GA State isn’t UGA so the talent gap shouldn’t be immense. Got to diversify the offense and get into end zone more often. We need to average over 24 points per game this season. Hope everyone shows up and makes some noise.

3 Likes

Talent gap? If there is a talent gap, it should be how much more talent do we have than them?

1 Like

9 point dogs to GA St at home. Our D wore down against Maryland because of the combination of injuries and the offense’s inability to sustain drives. Any updates to our injured status yet?

This will be a physical game and we cannot have multiple turnovers again. You don’t hear coaches talk about a 3rd game of the year against a non-conference foe being this big like Poggi has often. He’s right though, if we want to stay on track for our goals this year we need to win this game.

I’m worried about injuries and finding a rhythm on offense. There are way too many mistakes on the offensive side of the ball and we have a hard time overcoming penalties and negative yardage plays (more than most).

As has been the norm of late, Ga St is the biggest/best early season gauge of where we are.

3 Likes

We are a nine point underdog at home. So the sports lines would not agree that we are worlds ahead of GA State in talent. Our win over them last year was a fluke.

1 Like

We are definitely not the team we were last season. We do need to be at full strength

2 Likes

I like our chances. I think we can stop them and put some pts up.

My score, good guys 31-20

2 Likes

Any injury updates? Our D line is really thin and banged up right now.

I’m thinking 24-17 good guys.

The weather for this game is going to be perfect. Clear and much cooler and less humid. :sun_with_face:

UCONN and GA. ST had very similar statistics. The yardage, first downs etc were much closer than score. One difference was 3 turnovers to one.

Werent the yardage stats way different?

Coach just ended Niners Live saying “we are healthy”.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/CharlotteFTBL/status/1701368086455325063

1 Like

Niners Live should be archived here, but I can’t ever get it to work: