2023 Baseball Week 12 - At Coastal Carolina (ESPN+); FAU at the Hayes (ESPN+)

Yikes…Niners load the bases with no outs in B8, with game tied 2-2 and get nothing… uggg.

Hopsons inability to throw runners out bites us again, in the 9th big time. Michelson walks the leadoff man, who steals his way all the way home after Hopson throws the ball into left field when the runner goes to steal third, after stealing second a couple pitches earlier. FAU now leads 3-2. If Niners cant rally in the B9, this will be another very PAINFUL loss. Feels like we completely gave this one away, giving up 3 runs between the 8th and 9th innings. Pretty crappy again.

1 Like

Hobson’s catching technique with knees on the ground I think hinders his getting a throw off quickly. If he squatted I think he would be in a better position to throw. My two cents.

Tough loss after another superb start by Hudepohl.

Yeah, it also felt like we took Wyatt out too soon. He still seemed to be throwing well when Woodard put Evans in, even though he had thrown 92 pitches through 6 innings.

1 Like

Fell apart defensively late in this game. A rare error by Dragum allowed the tying run. It was a tough play but he usually makes that play 9 out of 10 times.

Then a throwing error by Hopson scored this winning run. From my view, he should have never even made that throw to 3rd. The runner had a huge jump and Hop had no chance to throw him out.

Huge missed opportunity in the 8th with bases loaded no outs.

Hit into 5 double plays ???

Not sure who is a fault for late season breakdowns: behind the plate, base running, consistent change in pitching rotation. There is still hope for a regional bud but will have to win out. Off-season eval needs to be completed… they say everything leading up to your present point was trained or emphasized 6 month ago. Seems like only thing that has been good/great are some position play hitting development. Injuries to key players over the past 3 years has been tough to watch also. I think this team and coaching staff is great! Really need to stay positive and behind them as the season gets tougher!

The team seems to be inventing new ways to lose. :frowning_face:

Unbelievable

Wow the bullpen is bad

EDIT for the grammar police…I just cant HARDLY :slight_smile: even comment on this one. I thought game 1 was a bad choke job…this one was historically bad.

“Comment” Noun- A verbal or written opinion or reaction.

I’m a Niner so I should be used to being disappointed but I gotta say this baseball season has been a big letdown. I should know better by now I suppose.

Early in the season we struggled with walks and HBP so that was a concern. Also we’re so easy to steal bases on it’s a real problem.

I guess we have time but it’s hard to keep the faith at this point. Last 2 days didn’t help…

This is pretty much where i am as well Hootie, but it feels to me like the current baseball program and coach really should be above this (underachieving with the talent, it seems)… I do still have confidence that this year will be the exception, not the rule. However, it definitely has shaken that confidence some and has been EXTREMELY disappointing.

1 Like

Today: 12-4 us. Time to have a winning streak.

2 Likes

Rough weekend at the Hayes BUT

• we are still sitting in 3rd place with 2 weeks left
  • we have now clinched a spot in CUSA tourney
  • no mid-week game this week, so time to rest and reset for the final stretch

Mathematically, we can still finish as high as 2nd or as low as 7th. I’m not sure of the tie-breaker with UTSA since we split 2 games with them.

1 Like

Assuming even if we finish undefeated and win some tournament games that an at large is unlikely?

Yes. An at large is unlikely.

Time for a fire Robert Woodard thread. We should be the top team in the conference. Has to be the coaching that is keeping us from the top.

Pretty sure you’re kidding but the season has been a disappointment so far. I think we over scheduled a bit but I actually like that. I’m an anytime, anywhere type so that’s right up my alley.

That said I think we’ve still got a shot in the tourney but we have to clean up some stuff, like now!