2024 Baseball- Week 1: Virginia Tech (ESPN+)

clt says that pic needs a bloomin onion on the table

I’m a bit of a baseball novice but I’m trying to get into the sport. Is a K a strike or a strikeout?

Oh wow! I didn’t even notice him there!

Good stuff from Langhorne. If he can grow into the role and continue to build confidence, that will be huge.

Got 11 guys their first D1 appearance tonight. Gotta adjust to the competition.

Looking forward to seeing Hansen tomorrow.

Tailgate at 10. Stop by.

3 Likes

Strikeout

2 Likes

Great crowd today!! Upper and lower sections were pretty full.

I had a good idea that VT could put some runs up, but their pitching is what surprised me today.

On the mound, I thought Miles took a positive step today. Wilson did a pretty good job. Other guys pitched well too. There are so many new arms, I’m still trying to figure out what we have.

It took a little while last year to figure out where all our puzzle pieces fit. I think it may take a little time for this group to mesh too.

2 Likes

clt says great crowd especially with softball game happening concurrently

Okerholm was strong too.
Gave up a longball but struckout 3 in an inning and a third.

1 Like

Yeah, its early but we appear to be REALLY bad. Outscored 16-0 through 1.5 games by a mediocre VT team. Woodard might have pulled a Poggi in hyping this team…pitching looks mediocre to below average so far, hitting appears non existent. 2 hits through 13 innings.

We scrape across 2 runs in the 5th. Trail 6-2 headed to T6.

Whoa. Called third strike nowhere near the zone.

Ump giving VT pitchers about 4-6 extra inches on all sides of the strike zone. Atleast we have finally gotten a little offense going. Down 8-5 headed to the T9.

I don’t think I realized just how many new faces we had come in. Gonna be some time to coalesce but man tough start with a brutal slate to come. We’ll get it going. Go niners

I don’t think there’s been a lot of hype about this team. You don’t just replace all that we lost to graduation and the draft without missing a beat. We have a very inexperienced squad. Talented, but inexperienced. Unfortunately, there’s no shortcut for experience.

The good news is that we have experience in the dugout and I’d be willing to bet that this team will improve as the season progresses.

That’s just my take on the last two days. What do I know? Nothing. But this is the internet. I’m not supposed to know anything. :grin:

3 Likes

We were picked 2nd in the AAC and Woodard just stated last week that this team could be “great, not good”. I hope he is proven right.

The league’s coaches did that. I was a bit surprised based on the turnover but took it as a sign of respect for the staff.

He believes they can be great. And they can. They aren’t right now but it’s February. Let’s see what happens. That’s all I’m saying.

3 Likes

Its possible and i hope so. Maybe VT is better than expected.

They’re talented. They can really hit. If the freshman pitcher from yesterday backs up that performance, they could be good. But if their pitching doesn’t hold up, they’ll be around .500. To me, this weekend is more about working on ourselves. Guys need to find their roles. They also need to play loose. I think we’ve looked tight the last two days.

Side note: another great crowd today. The bookstore has a gear table set up and seemed to be moving some merchandise. Good to see them make that effort.

4 Likes

The scores aren’t pretty, but the season is long and there are so many new players to build team cohesion with. However, my concern is about NCAA tournament resumes being built in early season non conference games like in basketball. Is that not the case in baseball too? If so, it’s rough to try to bring a team together during the same part of the season you are trying to build your postseason resume.

1 Like

It’s a factor, for sure. But you also play non-con games all season during the week. 2 games against Clemson, Chapel Hill, Campbell. The conference slate is good, too. So it’s not like our resume would be complete in a few weeks either way. That only applies to Team Penny Elite 22u. Oh wait, did I say that?

1 Like