2024 Baseball - Week 11: at Winthrop (ESPN+); at UAB (ESPN+)

Maybe we need better coaching. Our pitching stinks and we have trouble with errors. Are we recruiting the right players? Inquiring minds.

2 Likes

Our pitching is bad.

Ohhhh, you went and said it :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

We’ve had unprecedented success under this staff. I trust them to get it done.

We lost a bunch of key pieces from last years team. It’s hard to replace all of that in one recruiting class. Sure they’ve missed on a few recruits, but they’ve hit big time on a bunch also over the past few seasons.

3 Likes

I’m not down on the staff but we are having a worse time of it than I expected this year

It’s a bad season. The nice thing about actual college sports like baseball and soccer is that you don’t have to fire an otherwise good coach just because he produces an occasional dud season.

Is this team frustrating to watch at times? Oh yeah. They can beat anybody or lose to anybody. The bottom line is that it’s a rebuild. The core of the team that went to 2 of the last 3 tournaments, won both a regular season title and a tournament title, and reached a regional final 10 months ago is now spread out all over the minors and independent ball.

Did the staff try to reload and keep rolling? Yes. Has it worked? Not yet. Are there some pieces of the puzzle for the future on the roster? Yes. One of them won player of the week last week.

If the staff had scheduled early season cupcakes, which they won’t do, we could be sitting at 25-17, 8-8, tied for third in the league. Then the narrative would be about how the staff has done a great job considering all they lost. It’s a fine line.

Just my honest take, FWIW. :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Im not sure if our record would be much better if we had scheduled “easier” as we have lost to several of the weakest teams on the schedule. Thats the MOST frustrating part.

1 Like

We have a non-con SOS of 18. If we dial that back to say 162 (UTSA) I tend to think we’d have more wins. UTSA is 24-17 BTW.

2 Likes

I saw the firetruck leaving softball after the game. I wonder if they moved over to the baseball stadium 10-3 Niners.

1 Like

There’s definitely smoke coming from the baseball stadium. Nolan hits one over the video board and Bayne hits one over the batters eye. My goodness.

3 Likes

We finally got another solid outing by a starter today. Way to go Carson and i LOVE Nolan starting at first over Correa.

Well, you would think…but like i said, we have lost games to GW, Davidson and Winthrop among others. Those teams are not good.

1 Like

The Davidson and GW losses were two of the worst games I’ve ever witnessed. They were also during the week, which speaks to the lack of depth. However, if you replace starts by Cole Reynolds and Chase Carson against VT and WVU with games against URI and George Mason, I like or chances. That’s all I’m saying.

4 Likes

I get it. Im just not AS confident as you that we would have taken full advantage of that.

Another L, 5-1.

3 Likes