2026 49er Football Week 5 • NN WEEK HOMECOMING • Game #5 vs Memphis - 10/3 3:30PM ESPN+

I can’t believe they made this the homecoming game haha

1 Like

haha Given all we know, does it really matter who we play on Homecoming? haHA :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Yep, last time we won a homecoming game was vs Rice in 2021. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I believe the ECU game in 2024 was homecoming.

2024 was South Florida.

I have no issue with it being this game. We usually sell out homecoming and you’re going to want the biggest crowd possible against a team like Memphis. Also…it doesn’t matter at this point who we play for homecoming.

5 Likes

Add on a high chance of rain in the forecast = a blowout game in front of maybe 500-1000 fans. More :face_vomiting: for Niner Nation. :sob:

45-20. Memphis wins easily. Tigers pours it on to start and we get garbage time TDs. Albin thanks the fans, the band, the weather and mentions some positive takeaways from the game and how they need to work on other things. The walls are starting to close in.

Definition of insanity: Charlotte Football

If Fitch is still calling plays and Gonzales still the QB no way we score 20. Defense will hold up for a while. 31-3..

I looked back and found only two HC’s in FBS history have made it through two seasons of 1-win football.

Dana Dimel with UTEP:

  • 2018: 1–11
  • 2019: 1–11
  • UTEP retained him
  • 2020: 3–5
  • 2021: 7–6 and a New Mexico Bowl appearance
  • Stayed through 2023.

Paul Petrino with Idaho - Petrino had two one-win seasons, and two years later he went 9–4, won the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, and was named Sun Belt Coach of the Year.

So it would be pretty unprecedented if Albin is still HC next year, but if he is, at least with the two other examples there was some turn around. Obviously it’s a different world now with NIL and the portal.

Yeah, looking like rain most of the day now. I hope that changes as I have some family that are planning to come to the game. I remember the homecoming during Healy’s final year was pretty empty. This will likely be worse.