49er Club Breaks 10,000 Members

It’s just a number, but I noticed the 49er Club is finally over 10,000 members (per online account management website).

I would love to know how many of these 10,000 are FSL holders.

Are these people that actively donate or just people that have donated at some point in history?

I’d love to know how many active members we have.

Honestly, I can’t imagine we have a ton of regular donors. That 10,000 has to be people who have given at some point (at least in the life of the 49er club). I graduated in 2006, and last year was the first year I’ve ever given anything at all. I just gave $51. I have purchased a pair of FSLs, and I just gave another $51 for this year. With that little history, I’m well in the top 1,000 ranking - actually in the top 3/4 of the top 1,000. Now, that’ll go down next year when my “total amount given this year” doesn’t include my FSLs, but still.

I have heard from multiple sources that our active donor list has trended downward since we left CUSA.

People want to hold many things against our AD, to me the biggest valid criticism is that our donor base isn’t larger than it is and that we don’t do a very good job at growing our donors and instead focus on swinging for the fences with big donors. Long term health depends on both.

This bolded part doesn’t make any sense to me. I’ve given a lot more than that over the last 15+ years and I’m in that same range (including 2 FSLs as well and bball season tickets every year since before Halton opened).

This bolded part doesn’t make any sense to me. I’ve given a lot more than that over the last 15+ years and I’m in that same range (including 2 FSLs as well and bball season tickets every year since before Halton opened).[/quote]

I agree, I’ve bought two fsl’s and have given the minimal for 4 yrs straight and don’t think my ranking is in the top 2/3

I think it’s a small quirk in the points system in that based solely on a FSL purchase, someone who purchases right now makes out better (at least for this first season) than someone who purchased in the beginning. Now, that’ll right itself in later years, but just taking the FSL purchase, here’s how that breaks down.

If you purchase right now and gave $50 for the first year:
$2,050 given this year (61.5 points)
$2,050 given lifetime (41 points) = 102.5 total

If you purchased at the beginning (and gave, say $50 a year):
$50 given this year (1.5 points)
$2,200 given lifetime (44 points)
4 points for each consecutive year of 49er Club membership (16 points) = 61.5 points

[quote=“SF4Nynah, post:8, topic:26845”]I think it’s a small quirk in the points system in that based solely on a FSL purchase, someone who purchases right now makes out better (at least for this first season) than someone who purchased in the beginning. Now, that’ll right itself in later years, but just taking the FSL purchase, here’s how that breaks down.

If you purchase right now and gave $50 for the first year:
$2,050 given this year (61.5 points)
$2,050 given lifetime (41 points) = 102.5 total

If you purchased at the beginning (and gave, say $50 a year):
$50 given this year (1.5 points)
$2,200 given lifetime (44 points)
4 points for each consecutive year of 49er Club membership (16 points) = 61.5 points[/quote]

SF4 is exactly right… so once again our fine institution screwed this up. The FSL’s made the 49er club points system all out of whack.

If Joe Smith writes one check tomorrow to the 49er club for 2 FSL’s at 2000 dollars and let’s say he starts his 49er club giving with a 49 dollar amount he will have 102.45 points just like SF4 said above.

So guys that have been giving for 10 years straight that are getting the little 1 point for year stuff are actually getting the shaft in this system.

I actually did some math and it even hurts the people that paid for the FSL’s in a payment plan instead of paying the entire thing at once. The “3 points per $100 for current year payments” is what screws it up.

I think I might call the 49er club tomorrow and ask for some clarification on why someone that joins tomorrow could have better football seats than someone who’s been with the program for 10 years…

[quote=“EE9er, post:9, topic:26845”]If Joe Smith writes one check tomorrow to the 49er club for 2 FSL’s at 2000 dollars and let’s say he starts his 49er club giving with a 49 dollar amount he will have 102.45 points just like SF4 said above.

So guys that have been giving for 10 years straight that are getting the little 1 point for year stuff are actually getting the shaft in this system.[/quote]

In your hypothetical have these “guys” purchased FSLs? I think people should be given more points for forking over $1,000 per seat than others giving a modest donation every year. The money for football is needed now and it’s harder to fork over that kind of cash all at once so they should be rewarded for it.

Also, can someone explain this to me:

[font=helvetica][size=11px][b]Will the cost of the FSL be considered a contribution to the Charlotte 49ers Athletic Foundation?[/b][/size][/font] [font=helvetica][size=11px]No, however, if you are a contributing member to the Charlotte 49ers Athletic Foundation, you will receive a priority point credit bonus equal to the amount of your FSL purchase. The amount paid each year for your FSL will not count towards your earned membership level for benefit purposes in the Athletic Foundation.[/size][/font]

We’re recruiting Joe Smith of UMD & the NBA to be a donor, ee9er? :))

[quote=“Hooner49, post:10, topic:26845”]Also, can someone explain this to me:

[font=helvetica][b]Will the cost of the FSL be considered a contribution to the Charlotte 49ers Athletic Foundation?[/b][/font] [font=helvetica]No, however, if you are a contributing member to the Charlotte 49ers Athletic Foundation, you will receive a priority point credit bonus equal to the amount of your FSL purchase. The amount paid each year for your FSL will not count towards your earned membership level for benefit purposes in the Athletic Foundation.[/font]
[/quote]

So basically what that means is if I have donated $50 to the 49er club and then buy 2 FSLs for a total of $2050 I am not going to get put in the Green Jacket Club. I will though get the credit towards my ranking for making that donation.

It is an odd set up that allows someone to come in with no giving history, buy 4 FSLs and jump someone who has donated modestly over the past 10 years and has 2 FSLs they just bought or who used a payment plan versus waiting until now to buy them all at once. I had not even thought about it until now.

But once this first year is over (actually, once we get past June 30), the system will be right again, and those who have been giving a long time will take precedent.

Who do I need to contact with the 49er Club to get basketball season ticket purchases to show up as points toward my donor history?

I disagree, look at your example the guy that just got in has 40 more points than the guy that has been doing it for 5 years, the only way to get point from here out is the consecative years, or dump another big check (2000 dollars). Can you clarify.

I disagree, look at your example the guy that just got in has 40 more points than the guy that has been doing it for 5 years, the only way to get point from here out is the consecative years, or dump another big check (2000 dollars). Can you clarify.[/quote]

They guy that wrote a big check for FLSs this year is getting more points for a current year contribution. After June 30th he will get the same amount of points for his FSLs contribution that the long time donor is getting for all of the donor history. It will correct itself, just throws the rankings off a little this year. In fact all of the rankings have been off the past few years because peoplea are making FSL payments outside of their normal giving. Now that we are ending the FSL process for the most part this shouldn’t be a big deal going forward.

Because the largest chunk of that is points for money given this year. Once it’s the next year, that’s lumped into “lifetime giving” like everyone else. Let’s just say that both people give $50 each year they’re in. Here’s how it would look for 2013:

The one who purchased this year:
$50 given this year (in 2013): 1.5 points
$2,100 given lifetime: 42 points
2 years consecutive membership: 8 points = 51.5 total

If you purchased 4 years ago:
$50 given this year: 1.5 points
$2,250 given lifetime: 45 points
4 points for each consecutive year of 49er Club membership: 24 points = 70.5 total

clt just makes it drizzle with dolla dolla bills y’all

Straight cash homey.

But where the controversy for this catch seemingly comes in is that this year will play a big role in selecting your seats for football. Then, even if the system “rights” itself, that donor that jumped lots of people with one year’s big contribution now gets to pick his seats out before you do and gets to keep them forever with a minimum contribution yearly. ??? Also, if you waited till the last minute to get FSL’s, then you were better off than those who helped get the ball rolling.

They could pick the ranking on July 1st vs June 30th.