49ers Men's Soccer ⚽

Did we expect to go undefeated all season?[/quote]

No but uncw? Really?[/quote]

UNCW is 5-1 and are almost always pretty strong in soccer.[/quote] They have not been scored upon in their 3 home games. That said, I watched last night and it is my opinion we would beat them 7 out of 10 times. Last night just happened to be one of the other 3.

Of course not, but it’s very Nineresque to get some recognition and then drop a game against a team we should beat. I was expecting to drop it against Clemson or something. Losing to teams we should beat is our MO. Of course, lately, Niner sports has been about losing to teams we should and shouldn’t beat.

It’s called sh!tting the bed…and we do it in every sport when the spotlight is on. Every sport. Every time. The bigger the stage, the bigger sh!t we like to take.

Maybe from now on we refer to that as simply “Pulling a Niner”.

“Hey look…the soccer team just pulled a Niner!!”

Of course not, but it’s very Nineresque to get some recognition and then drop a game against a team we should beat. I was expecting to drop it against Clemson or something. Losing to teams we should beat is our MO. Of course, lately, Niner sports has been about losing to teams we should and shouldn’t beat.[/quote]

We have been ranked for 3-4 weeks and in top 10-12 for last couple games/wins. Again, we were not going to go undefeated. This team is good.

It’s called sh!tting the bed…and we do it in every sport when the spotlight is on. Every sport. Every time. The bigger the stage, the bigger sh!t we like to take.

Maybe from now on we refer to that as simply “Pulling a Niner”.

“Hey look…the soccer team just pulled a Niner!!”[/quote]

This

Of course not, but it’s very Nineresque to get some recognition and then drop a game against a team we should beat. I was expecting to drop it against Clemson or something. Losing to teams we should beat is our MO. Of course, lately, Niner sports has been about losing to teams we should and shouldn’t beat.[/quote]

We have been ranked for 3-4 weeks and in top 10-12 for last couple games/wins. Again, we were not going to go undefeated. This team is good.[/quote]

I guess we can never look at the positive of things… I guess I’m just not a person who looks at every perspective of how we are not playing well or always manage to ‘ruin’ something when the team is on par of being nationally ranked ‘high’. I think NCAA appearances are better than not having any, guess it’s not enough for some people.

Like I said a lot so far, a lot of time to improve before tournament time comes and the lads have proven they can play at anytime in the moment. We can’t always have a good game, always off days. But, then again, what does this bloke know anything about soccer?

Saturday’s match vs. FIU changed start time to 4 PM.

Started slow yesterday. FIU looked like the better team for much of the first half. Niners finally started to play better the last few minutes of the 1st. Scored off a mistake by the FIU goalie with 12minutes to go in regulation. Looked like we’d win 1-0 but FIU scored an insane goal with 2 seconds left (only time I’ve seen it in soccer). We got the ball to start OT, won on a PK under a minute in.

I watched most of the second half on CUSA TV which worked surprisingly well. I couldn’t believe we gave up that goal late, but we were being outplayed.

As expected, we took a drop down to #14 while Wilmington landed one spot ahead of us at #13. Our favorite Chapel Hill team is back near the top while the rest of the ACC is straight dominating the rankings. Too bad we couldn’t get either VT or Clemson at home this year. Would’ve been a fun home game to attend.

[quote=“Niner17, post:2830, topic:25684”]http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-national-rankings/men

As expected, we took a drop down to #14 while Wilmington landed one spot ahead of us at #13. Our favorite Chapel Hill team is back near the top while the rest of the ACC is straight dominating the rankings. Too bad we couldn’t get either VT or Clemson at home this year. Would’ve been a fun home game to attend.[/quote]

clt will wait for the real rankings.

[quote=“cltniners, post:2831, topic:25684”][quote=“Niner17, post:2830, topic:25684”]http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-national-rankings/men

As expected, we took a drop down to #14 while Wilmington landed one spot ahead of us at #13. Our favorite Chapel Hill team is back near the top while the rest of the ACC is straight dominating the rankings. Too bad we couldn’t get either VT or Clemson at home this year. Would’ve been a fun home game to attend.[/quote]

clt will wait for the real rankings.[/quote]

Are you saying the Observer will release their own rankings?

I would say decent display for the boys. Dominated in possession as well as putting down a stout defense when they had their few chances.

A lot of more work and improvement for the lads, but not bad of a night for them.

Let’s get the three points in Kentucky this Saturday!

We will find out just how good we really are after the four game stretch coming up:

at Kentucky (ranked 20th)
vs New Mexico (RV)
at Clemson (5th)
at Virginia Tech (18th)

If we come out unscathed from that, I would feel very confident going into the NCAA tournament.

[quote=“SteauA, post:2834, topic:25684”]We will find out just how good we really are after the four game stretch coming up:

vs New Mexico (RV)
at Clemson (5th)
at Virginia Tech (18th)

If we come out unscathed from that, I would feel very confident going into the NCAA tournament.[/quote]

I’m not a soccer junkie by no means…but wouldn’t going unscathed against basically 4 ranked opponents do more than just getting into the tournament. I would think going unscathed over the next 4 would put us in position to be a top regional seed in the tourney?

And if so…I would go ahead and lay the expectations down that we “pull a Niner” during this stretch.

[quote=“TRLeader, post:2835, topic:25684”][quote=“SteauA, post:2834, topic:25684”]We will find out just how good we really are after the four game stretch coming up:

vs New Mexico (RV)
at Clemson (5th)
at Virginia Tech (18th)

If we come out unscathed from that, I would feel very confident going into the NCAA tournament.[/quote]

I’m not a soccer junkie by no means…but wouldn’t going unscathed against basically 4 ranked opponents do more than just getting into the tournament. I would think going unscathed over the next 4 would put us in position to be a top regional seed in the tourney?

And if so…I would go ahead and lay the expectations down that we “pull a Niner” during this stretch.[/quote]

More likely to go unscathed through that stretch then pull a niner in the first round of the tourney

[quote=“austinniner, post:2836, topic:25684”][quote=“TRLeader, post:2835, topic:25684”][quote=“SteauA, post:2834, topic:25684”]We will find out just how good we really are after the four game stretch coming up:

vs New Mexico (RV)
at Clemson (5th)
at Virginia Tech (18th)

And if so…I would go ahead and lay the expectations down that we “pull a Niner” during this stretch.[/quote]

More likely to go unscathed through that stretch then pull a niner in the first round of the tourney[/quote]

Get national seed thus getting direct bye to round of 32, end up hosting the tarholes and losing at home after dominating for 90 minutes.

US!

[quote=“SteauA, post:2837, topic:25684”][quote=“austinniner, post:2836, topic:25684”][quote=“TRLeader, post:2835, topic:25684”][quote=“SteauA, post:2834, topic:25684”]We will find out just how good we really are after the four game stretch coming up:

vs New Mexico (RV)
at Clemson (5th)
at Virginia Tech (18th)

More likely to go unscathed through that stretch then pull a niner in the first round of the tourney[/quote]

[b]Get national seed thus getting direct bye to round of 32, end up hosting the tarholes and losing at home after dominating for 90 minutes.

US![/b][/quote]

This ^ WE ARE CHARLOTTE!!!

Unfortunate to lose this match, I thought we did well the entire match. I’m sure if Bronico had put away the pen, it would be three points for us.

Disappointed to not get it but we still got time to improve as said before.

Hopefully, next Saturday against New Mexico at home could do us good, they beat FIU, 4-1 this week, so should be a good match along with our upcoming fixtures.

Stay strong ‘Boys in Green’!

[quote=“TRLeader, post:2835, topic:25684”][quote=“SteauA, post:2834, topic:25684”]We will find out just how good we really are after the four game stretch coming up:

vs New Mexico (RV)
at Clemson (5th)
at Virginia Tech (18th)

I knew it would happen…but pulling a Niner in the FIRST game of this stretch is REALLY pulling a Niner.

Great job boys!

Keep the Niner legacy alive!!