49ers Men's Soccer ⚽

I am sorry about you have to spend your Sunday at the hospital and miss the game. I hope everything is OK and nothing serious.
There will be a big one coming soon for you to come out and scream your head off. C Pip’s mom came to the game and I get to chat with both for a while.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms]Guiseppe earns National Player of the Week Honors ! ! ![/font][/size]

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=205317937

I decided to skip watching the Panthers yesterday and go to our soccer game. I thought we looked more sluggish than normal but I will take the win. Everyone needs to check out this team. They are probably one of the best teams we’ve ever had.

You would have a bit more fun on High Scoring Friday.

Boo Matt Kenseth

I agree 100%

We moved up three spots since last week.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men/d1

[size=7][font=comic sans ms]Go Niners ! ! ![/font][/size]

[quote=“Niner89, post:67, topic:25684”]We moved up three spots since last week.

[font=comic sans ms]Go Niners ! ! ![/font][/quote]

Looks like 5 spots to me…from #15 up to #10!!!

[quote=“919R, post:68, topic:25684”][quote=“Niner89, post:67, topic:25684”]We moved up three spots since last week.

Looks like 5 spots to me…from #15 up to #10!!![/quote]

#10 is ODU. We are #12 un less they changed it again since I saw it last.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=205318393

Has the soccer team ever been ranked this high?

[quote=“Niner89, post:69, topic:25684”][quote=“919R, post:68, topic:25684”][quote=“Niner89, post:67, topic:25684”]We moved up three spots since last week.

Looks like 5 spots to me…from #15 up to #10!!![/quote]

#10 is ODU. We are #12 un less they changed it again since I saw it last.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=205318393[/quote]

You’re looking at the RPI, which has us at 12. In the Coaches poll we’re 10th and the in Soccer News Poll we’re 9th.

Maybe the year they were in the college cup. Anyone know for sure?

Maybe the year they were in the college cup. Anyone know for sure?[/quote]

I don’t have time to look it up, but it might say in the media guide:

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/fls/23200/SoccerMediaguides/2011%20Charlotte%20Men’s%20Soccer%20Guide.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=23200

Maybe the year they were in the college cup. Anyone know for sure?[/quote]

I’m not sure if we ranked higher in any other year. But, 1996 was a special season. We were 5th in NSCAA National top 25 final poll under coach Tart.

I’ll have to pull out the media guide to check the exact dates, but most certainly we were ranked higher in previous seasons. In the mid 90s, before the college cup season, we had back to back years where we were ranked in the top 5 for a good portion of the season. I was at the So carolina game where we knocked them off (top 5) on their field, and got pushed up to I think as high as #2 on one poll, and #3 on the more popular ones. We were an absolute powerhouse those two seasons. It was kind of disappointing that we didn’t advance further in the NCAA tournament until about 2-3 years later when we made the final four.

Prior to that, I am fairly certain that one year when Gabe & Carlos Garcia were on the team we were ranked top 20 for most of the season - I think around #17. It’s hard to remember exactly because there were so many polls back then - like 3 or 4. We lost to the tarholes that season in the 1st round of the tournament - and yes, i was at the game. one of the garcia bros got absolutely taken down from behind, in the box, on a breakaway, and a small, but vocal group of Niner fans could only watch increduously as the ref swallowed his whistle and stuck his head in the sand. A similar play happened a little while later. Tarholes went on to win that game 1-0. It was eerily similar to the officiating in many US men’s team games of the past few years.

I drank a lot of beer that night, and then deposited it pretty liberally on as many tarhole campus buildings as I could. Damnit.

check out pages 33, 40 and 41 from the media guide.

Here’s a brief history… good to see my mind isn’t totally shot, though the dates are starting to run together:

[b]1991 - [/b] The program reached the NCAA Tournament for the first time in school history. They lost to North Carolina, 1-0, in overtime, Nov. 17 in the NCAA Tournament. Gabe Garcia scores 10 goals en route to earning second team All-American honors. He becomes the program’s first All-American. Goalkeeper Aidan Heaney set the school record for goals against average in a season at 0.40. Began the season by going 13-0-2. Garcia and Heaney became the first Niners to be named first team All-South region. [b] 1992 - [/b] Made the NCAA Tournament for the second straight season. Tied Davidson, 2-2 before a crowd of over 4,000 fans, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament but Davidson advanced on penalty kicks, November 15. The Niners did not lose a home match as they finished with a 10-0-1 record at home. The Niners collected their second conference championship by winning the Metro. Frank Kohlenstein won his second straight Metro Conference Coach of the Year award. Mike Rock earned Metro Conference Defensive MVP. [b] 1993 - [/b] Beat #4 Clemson 3-2, Sept. 8. Won 10 games for the sixth straight season of double figure wins. Doug Pratt was named first team All-Metro as he lead the team with nine goals and eight assists. [b] 1994 - [/b] Tied the school record for wins in a season with 16. Frank Kohlenstein earns his third Metro Conference Coach of the Year award. Mac Cozier becomes the first Niners soccer player to be named first team All-American. He leads the team with 14 goals and 11 assists. Cozier also was named the Metro Conference Offensive Player of the Year. Randy Sheen was named Metro Conference Defensive Player of the Year. The Niners upset #1 South Carolina on the road, 3-1, to win the Metro Conference and finish the regular season ranked first in the South Region. The Niners fell to College of Charleston, 1-0, in overtime in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. [b] 1995 - [/b] John Tart takes over the coaching reins of the Charlotte soccer program. The Niners fall 2-0 to Saint Louis in a snowstorm in the inaugural Conference USA Tournament championship game. The team registers double figure wins for the eighth straight season. [b] 1996 - [/b] The finest season in Charlotte soccer history as the team becomes the first Conference USA team in any sport to reach the National semifinals. The Niners won a school record 19 games. They went 7-1 in Conference USA to capture the regular season title. The Niners defeated College of Charleston, Notre Dame and Hartford to reach the national semifinals before falling to Florida International before 20,269 fans in Richmond, Va. Goalkeeper Jon Busch becomes the Niners second first team All-American after recording 12 shutouts and a 0.89 goals against average. Busch also earned Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year honors. John Tart was named Conference USA Coach of the Year

During my time there, IMO, Mac Cozier and Jon Busch were the two best players we had, though we had a lot of standout players. both went on to play porfessionally. Was completely badass that Mac could dominate on the field carrying that much hair. His dreads were epic.

Wow…

Wow…[/quote]

Game was televised too…That was a big deal in 1996.

So is getting our men’s basketball games in 2011 :frowning:

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:76, topic:25684”]check out pages 33, 40 and 41 from the media guide.

Here’s a brief history… good to see my mind isn’t totally shot, though the dates are starting to run together:

[b]1991 - [/b]The program reached the NCAA Tournament for the first time in school history. They lost to North Carolina, 1-0, in overtime, Nov. 17 in the NCAA Tournament. Gabe Garcia scores 10 goals en route to earning second team All-American honors. He becomes the program’s first All-American. Goalkeeper Aidan Heaney set the school record for goals against average in a season at 0.40. Began the season by going 13-0-2. Garcia and Heaney became the first Niners to be named first team All-South region. [b] 1992 - [/b]Made the NCAA Tournament for the second straight season. Tied Davidson, 2-2 before a crowd of over 4,000 fans, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament but Davidson advanced on penalty kicks, November 15. The Niners did not lose a home match as they finished with a 10-0-1 record at home. The Niners collected their second conference championship by winning the Metro. Frank Kohlenstein won his second straight Metro Conference Coach of the Year award. Mike Rock earned Metro Conference Defensive MVP. [b] 1993 - [/b]Beat #4 Clemson 3-2, Sept. 8. Won 10 games for the sixth straight season of double figure wins. Doug Pratt was named first team All-Metro as he lead the team with nine goals and eight assists. [b] 1994 - [/b]Tied the school record for wins in a season with 16. Frank Kohlenstein earns his third Metro Conference Coach of the Year award. Mac Cozier becomes the first Niners soccer player to be named first team All-American. He leads the team with 14 goals and 11 assists. Cozier also was named the Metro Conference Offensive Player of the Year. Randy Sheen was named Metro Conference Defensive Player of the Year. The Niners upset #1 South Carolina on the road, 3-1, to win the Metro Conference and finish the regular season ranked first in the South Region. The Niners fell to College of Charleston, 1-0, in overtime in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. [b] 1995 - [/b]John Tart takes over the coaching reins of the Charlotte soccer program. The Niners fall 2-0 to Saint Louis in a snowstorm in the inaugural Conference USA Tournament championship game. The team registers double figure wins for the eighth straight season. [b] 1996 - [/b]The finest season in Charlotte soccer history as the team becomes the first Conference USA team in any sport to reach the National semifinals. The Niners won a school record 19 games. They went 7-1 in Conference USA to capture the regular season title. The Niners defeated College of Charleston, Notre Dame and Hartford to reach the national semifinals before falling to Florida International before 20,269 fans in Richmond, Va. Goalkeeper Jon Busch becomes the Niners second first team All-American after recording 12 shutouts and a 0.89 goals against average. Busch also earned Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year honors. John Tart was named Conference USA Coach of the Year

During my time there, IMO, Mac Cozier and Jon Busch were the two best players we had, though we had a lot of standout players. both went on to play porfessionally. Was completely badass that Mac could dominate on the field carrying that much hair. His dreads were epic.[/quote]

Thanks for a great post, NA.