49ers NC License Plate Question

Has anyone ordered a new 49ers specialty North Carolina license plate from the DMV recently? I just changed my tag over to the new “First in Freedom” design, which means they sent out a new plate. When I got it in the mail, it looked like the 49er logo was misprinted. It was clearly off center. I took it to the DMV, and they insisted the logo was right. They called Raleigh and they too said it was right. Said it was intended to be “3-D.” They said they’d send me a new one “just this time” but that it would probably look like the first. Just got the new one today, and it’s just like the first.

So now my question is, was this somehow intentional on the university’s part? This is apparently the file that the DMV has, so it’s “correct” on their end. I’m going to check with the alumni association (who approves the tag design) but just wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem. If this was a conscious decision, I think it looks horrible. I wonder if someone just sent and approved the wrong file to the DMV?

The old tag I had is on the left, the new one on the right. You can clearly see the difference.

I got one earlier this year, no problem. Looks like a printing error.

That’s what I was sure of. But two tags in a row now though? This one looks just like the first did. That, and the fact that the DMV locally (and in Raleigh) insisted it was correct makes me wonder.

This is def f’d up. The alumni association needs to get on this NOW.

FWIW, DMV website shows the “old” https://edmv.ncdot.gov/VehicleRegistration/SpecialPlate/Detail?PlateID=32#term=

Anybody have a good email contact for someone in the alumni association? The website has a general “contact us” form.

clt says that looks like crap, no 3d at all.

There’s email links here http://alumni.uncc.edu/about/alumni-affairs-staff

This is the correct version. Those other ones are misprinted.

I have a different question. I got plate in the original batch a long, long time ago. It has the old 49ers logo and is kind of worn at this point. If you get a replacement plate do you keep the same number, or get a new one?

If it’s replaced just due to wear, the number does not change. Mine didn’t.

If it’s replaced just due to wear, the number does not change. Mine didn’t.[/quote]

That’s good to know. Thanks. I want to keep my low number.

3D, my ass. The registration is off terribly. The logo isn’t off-center, the green is printed higher than the other colors.

That’s what I was sure of. But two tags in a row now though? This one looks just like the first did. That, and the fact that the DMV locally (and in Raleigh) insisted it was correct makes me wonder.[/quote]They probably print them in batches, rather than on an as-needed basis. There are probably a few people driving around with the wrong logo.

Exactly what someone from the alumni association said this morning - that these are printed in batches and that likely the whole batch is this way. They’re contacting Raleigh this morning to get it straightened out.

It took me 4 years to get around to ordering the new plate, but 49er1 is always right and I got the same number I had before. I am not sure how old the old plate was, but I am guessing close to 20 years. And it looked like it. New AD, new coaches, new plate–embracing the change!

clt is waiting for the c pick tag

Okay, I get it. Anyone driving behind you while wearing 3D glasses will be able to see the effect! Brilliant!