49ers Men's Soccer ⚽

this happens in soccer all too often. also too easy for an inferior team (side :stuck_out_tongue: ) to essentially abandon offense and just pack the box and make it virtually impossible for the better team to operate. all w/i the rules, i know.

That’s why many people don’t “get” or buy into soccer and don’t become fans. Takes a “special breed/mentality” to really like this game. Me, I’m a casual fan. Love we have a really good team. Love watching our NINERS. Love watching the World Cup and Olympics. But that’s about it.

I’m no soccer expert but I think they need some rules to prevent this. They also need new rules to better define offsides. Like maybe blue lines that can be used similar to hockey.

i have to admit that in my old age, i have become a fan of teams, not sports. niner soccer is the only soccer i’d even think about following! i like the panthers and the 49ers (as in charlotte), but could care less about the falcons or broncos or san francisco…

clt hopes we continue to show good form on the pitch.

aym in, might!

I’m no soccer expert but I think they need some rules to prevent this. They also need new rules to better define offsides. Like maybe blue lines that can be used similar to hockey.[/quote]

Although not pretty to watch a team park the bus, it’s a legitimate defense. If the other team is superior, it should find a way to break through the wall which is what happens a lot of the time. No line can delineate offside as that is determined by the defensive player’s position, which is constantly changing.

I’m no soccer expert but I think they need some rules to prevent this. They also need new rules to better define offsides. Like maybe blue lines that can be used similar to hockey.[/quote]

Although not pretty to watch a team park the bus, it’s a legitimate defense. If the other team is superior, it should find a way to break through the wall which is what happens a lot of the time. No line can delineate offside as that is determined by the defensive player’s position, which is constantly changing.
[/quote]

I know, but on more than one occasion we have seen the defensive player(s) suddenly move very slowly when needing to quickly get back on defense. I was somewhat joking about the blue line, but I do think they need to tweak that rule a little. The call is more of a judgment call, and we all know how they can negatively affect us in a big game.

They don’t make a basketball player on a fast break wait for the defense to get back to cover him. A receiver in football is allowed to beat the defender down the field. A batter in baseball is allowed to hit the ball over the outfielder’s head. And in golf, the player is allowed to hit the ball as far as they want. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

I know, but on more than one occasion we have seen the defensive player(s) suddenly move very slowly when needing to quickly get back on defense. I was somewhat joking about the blue line, but I do think they need to tweak that rule a little. The call is more of a judgment call, and we all know how they can negatively affect us in a big game.

They don’t make a basketball player on a fast break wait for the defense to get back to cover him. A receiver in football is allowed to beat the defender down the field. A batter in baseball is allowed to hit the ball over the outfielder’s head. And in golf, the player is allowed to hit the ball as far as they want. :)[/quote]

I used to think the same regarding the basketball analogy until I realized in soccer it’s mainly done to prevent cherry picking. Believe me, my son has reached the age group (8) where the refs now call offside and it’s called at least 10 times/game. Also, it’s really cool to see an offside trap work effectively as in the entire back row of the defense suddenly moves forward and the offensive player is like, “oh sh!t”. It’s also equally as impressive to watch a team beat an offside trap. I get it that offside is counter-intuitive to Americans that are use to fast breaks, etc. But after learning a little more about the strategies and schemes employed during a soccer match I can appreciate the rule.

That’s why many people don’t “get” or buy into soccer and don’t become fans. Takes a “special breed/mentality” to really like this game. Me, I’m a casual fan. Love we have a really good team. Love watching our NINERS. Love watching the World Cup and Olympics. But that’s about it.[/quote]

I get soccer. I just think its mind numbingly boring. I watch the last bit of the USC game and was bored to tears.

Having said that “go Niners”.

That’s why many people don’t “get” or buy into soccer and don’t become fans. Takes a “special breed/mentality” to really like this game. Me, I’m a casual fan. Love we have a really good team. Love watching our NINERS. Love watching the World Cup and Olympics. But that’s about it.[/quote]

I get soccer. I just think its mind numbingly boring. I watch the last bit of the USC game and was bored to tears.

Having said that “go Niners”.[/quote]

I get that and used to feel the exact same way. Similarly to baseball, if people don’t know the strategies, etc both games can appear boring as heck to watch. What I found helpful was watching good soccer because there is more excitement, etc. I started with watching World Cup and then figured out the European Leagues. Now I watch EPL and La Liga every weekend with my son and really enjoy it. A few years ago I would have never even considered watching soccer.

We win or tie today, the title is ours.
We lose today and Kentucky wins against the Gamecocks, they will have joint-first for the title.

Let’a hope we are ready today to play against a team that plays very similar to App State (unless they changed their tactics from last year). I would like to have sole possession or an easy match, but I know Marshall will not be a walk in the park.

Good luck today, lads! Get the title!

This thread was started five years ago, and it is hard to believe that the title still makes sense, but it does. Our soccer program really is something to admire. I just wish I liked the sport. Go Niners!

Brackets announced, we get the winner of Kentucky vs. New Mexico, so good for the RPI. South Carolina is in the other side of the bracket.

On another note, the women just beat FAU 4-0 today to take the tournament championship. Great weekend!

[quote=“austinniner, post:2914, topic:25684”]Brackets announced, we get the winner of Kentucky vs. New Mexico, so good for the RPI. South Carolina is in the other side of the bracket.

On another note, the women just beat FAU 4-0 today to take the tournament championship. Great weekend![/quote]
Women will face #12 Duke and former Niner coach Robbie Church in opening round action of the women’s NCAA tournament on Saturday in Durham. Go Niners!!!

clt says we don’t have to worry about playing Harvard in the tourney.

Still #5 in coaches poll, RPI dropped to 10th

Observer story :o

Nice article - hope people can see it.

[font=Verdana][size=78%]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article113404393.html[/size][/font]

We play NM Friday.

[quote=“austinniner, post:2918, topic:25684”]Observer story :o

Nice article - hope people can see it.

[font=Verdana][size=78%]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article113404393.html[/size][/font][/quote]

I saw it and I also saw the add for unc-cheat in the middle of the article.

We play NM on Friday in the conference tourney.